Clutch pedal snap

steve123a

Reaction score
I have had the clutch pedal go on me over the weekend, after stripping it down and looking at old threads on here got the new parts, only needed the plastic clips that fit into the pedal! Well I think at the moment...

Does anyone know the best way to get it all back together without having to disconnect the master cylinder?

I removed the pedal pivot bolt and as expected the spring has come out, the difficulty is getting it all back together. I have checked the master and it seems to be ok, it compresses and comes back out! I spoke to an audi indepenant and they stated you have to remove the whole pedal box including the cylinder to get it back together.

Any help appreciated

Thanks guys

i had to do this on the weekend, you dont need to remove the pedal box or cylinder, just put the pivot bolt back in and then push the metal rod into the white plastic, compress the spring then push it in, is a bit of a ballache but shouldnt take more than 15 mins,
the clutch pedal has a weak point where the white plastic slots in so i had this welded up to make shure it dont happen again.

yeah done mine a few months ago check the metal plate which the plastic clips pushes into they usually break off,the pedal should have a box which the white clip goes into you basically its a pig to put back together the easiest way i found was lay on my back with my head under the steering column and puch the assembly in like that and it goes in quite easy.

Thanks for the reply guys, been away so just left it for a week!

Just checked and the pedal has snapped so have bought another with the clips, also the master cylinder has a bent rod so have taken it over to a mates and they should be fixing it today!

Thanks again!

Yeah I had this happen to me in Manchester in pouring rain & I lived in East Sussex, lol, I did it all on side of road after obtaining a new pedal from local dealer luckily enough my site was round corner so they went & got for me, but no need to remove cylinder, its a pain in asse to get the fulcrum fitment/spring etc back in but can be done.

& yes that poxy square bit of metal with white plastic clip broke on mine to, how crap is that welding, you'd think from the weld it would never break through huh, thank feck I managed to get it sorted, took me ages & seriously lot of bruises & cuts from postioning on side of road, lol, but nethertheless got it done, whooppeee, car sold though ages back.

Yeah happened to me too! Got the new clutch pedal from Heritage VW and got a local engineer guy to stregthen the pedal by welding up the top part of the clutch pedal as the standard welds are very flimsy. Hopefully it shouldn't happen again but I also got him to weld the old one back up and I keep it in the boot just incase!!! Hope this helps, Ali

What part numbers do i need to order ?

Yeah happened to me too! Got the new clutch pedal from Heritage VW and got a local engineer guy to stregthen the pedal by welding up the top part of the clutch pedal as the standard welds are very flimsy. Hopefully it shouldn't happen again but I also got him to weld the old one back up and I keep it in the boot just incase!!! Hope this helps, Ali

does this happen on all audi a3 , s3 ?

no & I was surprised it did happen to my S3 as it seemed to be the strongest point & also how can such a minimal amount of force cause the welds to snap of, ridiculous IMHO

so who has had this happen and what year was your s3 ?

Think you've answered your own question fella, if you think how many 8L's were sold its not very common at all tbh.

Ok ,

so not worth it then .Sounds like a pain tho ...

Mine went about a month and a half ago, my S3 was registered in August 2000 if that helps anyone.

Best advice I read up on for anyone trying to do a bit of DIY to fix the pedal is to compress the over-centre spring with zip/cable ties before putting it back together again!

:)

Mine just went 2001 S3, Audi quoted me 1400 quid as they are "convinced" the clutch has gone even though they haven't opened it up and even though ive told them it wasn't slipping or heavy they still say im wrong, my mate is going it for 20 quid this week and 30 quid parts.

Audi = *******

mine went about a year ago, just bought the parts from audi and fitted it myself, pain in the **** though.
2000 S3

yeah going strong, bought a new pedal and plastic clips and also got the pedal wealded so that it won't happen again. also wealded the old pedal as a spare just in case!

the metal bit on the pedal where the white plastic clip goes into....