Clutch overheat (hard driving or stop-start traffic) S-tronic

DowneS4

Reaction score
Hi,
Had my Gearbox Malfunction code read - clutch got hot and tried to cool itself down. Had the error message twice in two weeks. Priority 6 (the least) according to Audi. Does anyone know what I'm up against?
Cheers,

If you've kept to the service schedule

I would print out every thread you can find online regarding stronic issues (and make the point that China have a 10 year warranty on them). Go in there and make lots of noise about it. Email audi UK speak to as many people as you can and be as firm as possible without being rude that it's straight up unacceptable that parts supposedly made to last the life of the vehicle are failing on a regular basis.

It's happening every drive now it seems. I'm hoping that gearbox oil and filter (which it's overdue) will help initially

It's happening every drive now it seems. I'm hoping that gearbox oil and filter (which it's overdue) will help initially
I have the same thing, getting new clutch packs and flywheel fitted next week.

Ouch...how much? Did it get any worse?

It's a 59 plate and under warranty

Reactions: scotty76
That's fine. Threw the error up with some jerky gear changes under reasonable acceleration on the way home. Looks like it's getting worse

Tonight I've lost all of my odd gears and lost power once

Based in Grimsby. I've only had the car nine months! Would Audi supply a car to me that is overdue services (because I think the gearbox oil is). Surely they would be setting me up to fail? The warranty they supply would be worthless surely?

How many miles have you got? And how many when you bought it?
If bought from Audi directly then yes they should have checked that and therefore you'll have a case if that's the cause.
If you're with an Audi warranty they'll probably give you a new box, if a mech unit doesn't fix it (they don't take them apart to repair), what's the error codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's on 85k and I've done about 6k myself over 9 months. Really would be disappointed if Audi sting me this early on for a fault or wear and tear

So is the box overdue its 76k service or the 38k service too? If its on the original oil then there's a small chance that an oil change would fix it. Gearbox oil filters changes were not in the service schedule for a 59 plate S4.

But I agree with @razza1 - if bought from a Audi dealer then it is wholly reasonable to expect its service status to be correct: If they sold a car with void warranty without telling you then that is a clear case of fraud.

Reactions: razza1
I would be pushing for them to change the mechatronic as well.

Well it's gone to Audi. Let's hope they are honourable...

Audi called and asked to see the service book (I assume to check that it's had an s tronic service). They said during their complimentary health check that it was overdue and looked as if it hadn't even had its 38k s tronic service (!!) although the service book subsequently shows a different picture. A quick flick through and it says it's been done about three times in its life. Getting back to me later fingers crossed with more information.

Trying to worm their way out of doing the work i guess. Looks like you should be very much covered though, hopefully they'll stick a new box in for you all under warrenty.

Hope so. Next potential obstacle is that if it's a clutch issue, how could I be responsible for damage when I've had it only 8 months and covered only 6k. I am quite light footed and mechanically sympathetic as well!? I think an independent opinion is needed if this is the case.

Still no news since dropping my service book off lunch time yesterday. Members with experience of Audi, does no news mean good news (they are doing the job) or are they waiting on the warranty company to decide?

I'm terrible when my car is in the garage. I'm just too impatient. I called regularly for updates just to put my mind at rest (for a while at least). Hope it's good news though

Reactions: DowneS4
Call them. Being an automatic you shouldn't be able to kill the clutches, but seems it is possible to still have them burn out.
It's unlikely they'll diagnose that though, as if it's not a certain few codes being thrown, they'll do a software update and oil change (which will do f all), change the mech, and failing that replace the box.
My money's on the latter and hope for your sake it is, then it'll be happy driving for you

Thanks chaps.
Spoke to Audi this afternoon. New gearbox. Warranty won't pay as a gearbox service wasn't carried out before I received the car. My garage is pursuing the garage that sold me the car and negotiations are taking place (same nationwide network). Ultimately, I'm told the selling garage will be footing the bill. Possibly missed during the service it should have had before delivery to me in Dec...no idea on details though. My suspicion is that no service happened before I got it. Can't fault the garage helping me though so far.

Reactions: scotty76
An update.
It's been quiet for a couple of days and then received a phone call today.
Gearbox oil change was completed at 44k miles, so the next one is due at 84k...which is within my ownership period. Currently on just shy of 86k. Was actually booked in for service before any of the problems surfaced whatsoever. Currently discussing with the warranty company that because I'm only 500 miles over the service, it should be covered by warrantly. Had to authorise diagnostic work on the mech unit as warrantly doesn't cover diagnostic work. I'm hoping that they are all they are trying to do is pin it on the warrantly company to avoid paying themselves, however it's a bit worrying now they are discussing the fact that the oil change should have happened on my watch (even though I was booked in a knew nothing about this oil service until their health check pointed to the fact that it's overdue). I'm quite confused by the conflicting information.
Cheers,
Andy

I would be asking for proof that it was done at 44k.
It should really be done every 30-35k

I've had to authorise the mech unit removal as the warranty company won't pay for diagnostics...if it's not the mech unit, I'll have to foot the labour bill. Basically, I'm paying for the exploration by the seems of it. Not sure where any of it is going at the moment.

@DowneS4 I'd suggest you check your info a bit more. The current service schedule is every 38k but that may not have been the case for your car - is it not shown in your service book? I would be surprised if it was 44k, and if not then that first change was late.

I have read reports of the 'suck-it-and-see' approach to diagnosing gearbox problems and if you're paying it won't be pretty. I really think you need to get the warranty situation established pdq. If the selling garage is saying that the first change was done at 44k then you want evidence of it AND you need to know if that was according to the service schedule of a 2009 car. if it is not then it has to be the selling garage who foots the bill. However if it did meet the schedule and so it looks like you are going to foot the bill then you might be better of just paying an independent gearbox company to fit a whole new box.

Got word about mine today, it's the mechatronic unit, £1600 fitted for a refurbished unit.

I would look at getting an independent to have a look at it before paying for any new parts.

Last edited:
I agree l, 44k sounds late. The fact however you weren't aware of the need to change the oil and it's overdue that, you might find yourself out of pocket...
Exploratory work on the mech unit at Audi hourly rates won't be cheap either. If they have to take it out for any reason you're looking at 8 hours...and then new oil and filter

Although if Audi say every 40k, that takes me to 84k, which will make it due on my next service. I took it in 500 miles after car told me it needed a service. Selling garage arguing that when they supplied me at 79k, it wasn't due until 84k (40k after it was last done), so it wasn't done....but I haven't actually made the next service before it went wrong really. Anyone with a 2009 S4 that knows the service intervals for gearbox?

It's such a shame. I put trust in a premium brand approved used so I'm covered...turns out it's possibly not worth the paper the warranty is printed on. A mate of mine said the S4 service is every 38k, so it should (assuming that the first one wasn't late) be 76K, which puts in before my ownership. Really, the selling garage would have known it was more or less due but chose not to do the service to cut costs after I didn't take any of their extra products. I suppose what would one call late on a due service? On the nose? Before it hits that mileage? It's actually got three s-tronic ticks in the service book so there is absolutely no way on earth I would know if it was due or not, until Audi's health check said it's due. Setting me up for a fail I think.