Clutch or Gearbox?

Neilybabs

Reaction score
Hi chaps/chapettes,

I've recently noticed it's harder and harder for me to find gears (especially when changing up through the gears). Change down isn't so bad. I really have to push the gears in and also get a crunch in 4th. Could it be the clutch or (hopefully not) the gearbox on it's way? clutch pedal movement doesn't seem heavier or different. Car is '98 and covered 90k. Any help is much appreciated before I go spending money on stuff that the car doesn't need!

Cheers

Neil

hydro clutch doesn't always display the symptoms of going out but sounds like clutch to me.
does double de clutching make any difference, sometimes shows up worn syncro.

my money is on clutch, not enough meat left on it

It could be that the clutch isn't engaging properly which is why you are crunching or it could be that the box needs reconditioning. Have you noticed if the biting point has changed at all? is the biting point very low?

Slave /master/ or actual clutch. Does it slip? Assuming you are 2wd it will be easier to bleed to see if that helps, and then see if you can see any leaking fluid around either the slave or the master cylinders.

Unless the box has also got noisier, ie out of oil, it's probably not that tbh

does double de clutching make any difference, sometimes shows up worn syncro.
double clutching makes no difference, still have to wrestle the lil ******!
Have you noticed if the biting point has changed at all? is the biting point very low?
Nothing major that i've noticed, it's just a real chore finding the gears changing up :(
Slave /master/ or actual clutch. Does it slip?
It's not slipping once i've found the gears although i swear i smelt a strong burning smell when i was in stop-start traffic a few weeks back coming from the car!

Tbh my cars similar to yours but just living with it until i get round to it lol, would like to know what people think though.

All sorted thanks guys, you were right. Went for the Sachs/G60 flywheel combo after reading up on here and it works a dream! the clutch is featherlight now and bites properly so am well chuffed :)

Am sure you guys have answered this question a million times and my head is spinning from looking through the threads, but what is the best turbo for me to switch to considering mine is a standard KO3? will a KO3s just be a straight switch? have about £500 spare and now i caught the bug lol

.........and now i caught the bug lol

Oh dear!!!!

If you're going to the trouble of swapping the turbo, then I'd say save a little and "go for it" - the differences from KO3 to KO3s are minimal and I'm not sure if the hassle would be worth it - although I feel a little hypocritical saying that, as that's what I made sure I was getting when I brought my car!! If you do, in a few months you'll wish you'd gone with something better.................

............................ it's called "the bug"!!! ;)

there is a fair bit of diffence between the ko3 and ko3s if youve only got 500 to spend its your cheapest option as it is a strate swap same main and dp, theres clames of upto 240-250 with a ko3s, as my ko3s is making about 18psi max and holds 14 all day long thats only stage one mapping but alldepends on your engine code i.e. injector size ect, best bet is to save up and go big turbo i know its what im saving for, thats after i fix my ucals evo x as he just blew the turbo on that but hey i might get that recond and use that in mine as iv seen it done befor on a 20vt and made big power

Save your money until you can get a proper turbo. The K03S wont make much difference to be honest. a K04-001 would be a better upgrade for a little more money.