clutch nightmare!!!!

Buzzer

Reaction score
The car has had 2-3 master cylinders in the last few years. A new clutch was put in 6 weeks ago.
In the last 2-3 weeks the pedal seemed to get very light and when cold i would have to pull the pedal up with my foot.
Thought it might need to be blead, air trapped from when the clutch was replaced.
Mechanic tried to bleed the system , but no air to be found.
Then the pedal just fell to the floor with no pressure at all, does this seem to you guys like another MC.
And whats the bo didley with a slave cylinder, or is it the same?
thanks in advance for any replies

i bought the parts cheap from a mate of mine in GSF and dont remember anything about a slave.
Would it have been a must at the time or a precaution to change,and is it a big job to fix now?
Sorry for all the Qs, but thanks

Slave is a box out job, ie the same amount of work as doing the clutch itself.

Have you been buying genuine Master Cylinders, or cheap tat?

Really dont know,mechanics have bought them before, not me.
Would it be normal to do the slave when the clutch is been replaced?

i didnt do my salve master cylinder when i did my clutch and Flywheel, but 2 weeks later my pedal broke luckly didnt need to replace it (salve cylinder)

I've bought a master and slave a few times as go through clutches quite a bit
And I've learned
Only buy genuine !!!!

if im haveing a clutch change i always change slave while the box is out

I've had 2 clutches replaced in mine, and for the sake of an extra £40ish I've had a new slave each time for piece of mind...

Cheers,

What about the slave option listed against the pedal? Gives 2 options, one for cable shift and one for rod shift. Is liked via pipe to the master cylinder. 1J0721261 F or J?

So this kit here comes with "release bearing" which seems to be the same thing as the slave cylinder depending on where you read :think:

Awesome - Awesome Heavy Duty Sprung Clutch & Solid Flywheel - 6 speed 1.9 TDI / 1.8Tase, does the part on ETKA look the same as the one in that Awesome kit?

Westy, the number i gave you, is the same part as that included in the awesome gti kit you linked to.

Some cars have a seperate slave cylinder and release bearing, usually connected with some sort of pivot arm and rod. The S3 6 speed box has a concentric slave, which is a release bearing and slave cylinder built into one.

It seems the 5 speed boxes use a seperate bearing and slave, meaning it may well be possible to change it without removing the gearbox!

Glad to say it was a faulty MC(again) replaced with a genuine one this time, also got some blistein shocks fitted as the ones on were starting to leak, then some new oil and a filter,N249 bypass and now she's running smooth again!
Happy camper.

I've bought a master and slave a few times as go through clutches quite a bit
And I've learned
Only buy genuine !!!!
a friends S3 went thru 4-5 of these on his... All done by Parklands Audi... again and again and again.............
all genuine audi parts.. whether it was poor fitting (likely as the other work they did was diabolical) or faulty parts I dont know..
he got cheesed off with the car as a consequence and went bmw.

a friends S3 went thru 4-5 of these on his... All done by Parklands Audi... again and again and again.............
all genuine audi parts.. whether it was poor fitting (likely as the other work they did was diabolical) or faulty parts I dont know..
he got cheesed off with the car as a consequence and went bmw.

i know how he feels, im not having much luck since i bought it in march.All vacuum pipes and hoses changed, MC x 2 , new clutch, new rear shocks , rode like sea-biscuit after 1 week of ownership when i was charged 160 for 1 coilpack to be replaced by a local garage. Then Rocker cover gastets, camshaft seals,N75 issuses etc etc etc