Clutch Judder...

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'll try to keep this as short as possible - I really need some advice/maybe someones had this problem so I can go to Audi and not get fobbed off about it.

My car has got 6.2k miles, it's a 64 plate 1.4 COD.

First thing I noticed a while ago was a strange "eek" sound - fairly high pitched coming from the clutch (pedal - inside the car not outside) once the clutch is fully depressed but it won't do this all the time, it's very rare but once I got it to do it on demand when keeping it fully depressed and just twitching it. I turned the engine off, back on, and it didn't do it... weird. - I didn't think much of it, sure it's annoying.

Also, something i've noticed is the clutch makes quite a "tap/bang" noise when lifting the clutch up at stand still (not in gear) and you can feel the engine not being so smooth anymore, and hear the difference... like a 'rumble' - it's not loud, but is hearable. I'm sure this is normal but maybe not? I didn't take a lot of notice when it was new, so I need opinions on that... When I say a tap/bang - the word bang is a bit excessive to use as it doesn't bang, but you'll always hear when the clutch disengages...

Lastly, which is what brings me on to the juddering - we had a very hot day last Sunday (8th May) in England, (hot weather? England? Never!) and my air-con was set to 18.5c and working hard, I had 4 people in total in the car and it drove like a pig, hardly accelerated when changing gear and the pull off on hills weren't smooth and more of a vibrate (not harsh, but its perhaps normal since theres a lot of pressure), when I changed gear you'd feel the gear change, but I put that down to the air-con... not sure if my horrible acceleration when changing gear is normal, it is a 1.4 supercharged engine.. modern rubbish in all honestly. I'd perhaps put that down to it - anyway, after this day in question I started my car up on the Monday and pulled out my drive (it is a hill), it was smooth but just as it was nearly fully bit on I got two harsh fast judders... and every time I pulled off in 1st it did it, all the way to work. It was fine on the way home 9hours later. Then, the next day it juddered out of my drive again but didn't do it for the rest of the journey there, and on the way home it never did it once. - Wednesday, it did the same - juddered on cold start from my house but not cold start from work. Today, (yesterday as I write this) it didn't judder at all, until after work when I picked my girlfriend up from a friends, it did it on the way out of my house again. It won't judder continuously, it mainly when the clutch is nearly fully 'bit on' it judders.
Obviously, i'm pretty p*ssed off. I don't know if it's started after that very hot day, I definitely do not drive my car with disrespect (maybe I need to since people rag cars and never get issues unlike me who cherishes and gets every problem ever!) but I have no idea what is causing this. It's pretty pointless telling Audi about it when it's probably never going to do it in their hands. The clutch doesn't seem to judder if you pull it up too fast and make the engine struggle, it's if you hold it there to have a smooth pull off again though, very intermittent, looks so far like its only doing it on a cold start now. Also, it doesn't judder if you floor it from the line either.

I really need some help, not sure if anyone has had this issue but it's always good to hear advice, I'm tempted to ring Audi, book it in, explain what happens and say you're having the car until it's fixed. I have a big feeling I'm going to be fobbed off about this.
A guy I know had a theory it might be an oil leak, which leaks onto the plates when it's been standing around, judders once at cold pull off then because it's worn off, won't do it again. I haven't noticed any oil leaks but sometimes we have the odd patch of oil on the drive show up after rain but who knows since a few people park on our drive who visit... + i've never seen oil in the garage where sometimes the car might sit for a week.

I have a feeling the clutch 'eek' sound from inside the car might be linked with it, I don't know if i've got a dodgy adjustment or - i'm going to stop there I seriously don't know what it could be. Help...!!!

EDIT: just remembered. On that very hot day I noticed most of the time when the clutch was depressed it was almost like I could feel the clutch plates clanking together on the pedal.. thats what it felt like anyway. I have noticed this other times way back before this as well. That surely isn't normal?