Clutch has gone

Spatula

A4 B6
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was doing some daily chores in the A3 over the weekend. Got in the car which was at my mums house after a flying visit, turned on the car, went to put the clutch in to put it in reverse and a terrible grinding noise came when I put my foot fully to the floor.

Luckily I knew someone who could tow the car back to my house, but because I needed the engine on for towing etc, I found that if the clutch pedal is completely disengaged (i.e my foot isn't on it at all) you can hear something bashing the fly wheel (I think).

Any Idea's how bad the damage is, what new parts I'll need and how hard the job is? Did look for a how to section but couldn't find anything..

Thanks in advance,
possibly a soon to be non-audi driver :(

Hi all,

Was doing some daily chores in the A3 over the weekend. Got in the car which was at my mums house after a flying visit, turned on the car, went to put the clutch in to put it in reverse and a terrible grinding noise came when I put my foot fully to the floor.

Luckily I knew someone who could tow the car back to my house, but because I needed the engine on for towing etc, I found that if the clutch pedal is completely disengaged (i.e my foot isn't on it at all) you can hear something bashing the fly wheel (I think).

Any Idea's how bad the damage is, what new parts I'll need and how hard the job is? Did look for a how to section but couldn't find anything..

Thanks in advance,
possibly a soon to be non-audi driver :(
sounds like the thrust bearing has gone through the pressure plate, so a new clutch required...

Where abouts are you in the Northwest?

Swapping in a SMF and sachs VR6 clutch is probably the best choice for under 300hp.
Me and mate did mine on the driveway.

Just looked on ebay and there are countless G60 flywheel + Sachs VR6 clutches on there for around £160-£200. That's not bad. Are there any walk-through guides on how to do it?

Edit: Do you think this will fix the problem I have? Because if so, it's worth a punt at ~£180..

Well you can just replace the clutch but its recommended that you change the dual mass flywheel at the same time which pushes the price up to nearer 300 for the parts if you get a LUK clutch.

I got a pattern G60 flywheel and sachs VR6 clutch for less than 200 on ebay then it was 25 quid for proper VW hardened steel bolts. Takes about 4 hours to do but garages have it down as a 6 hour job. Its also recommended to change the clutch slsve cylinder at the ssme time so thats another 30.

I'd guess most garages charge upwards of 250 for 6hrs labour.

So if I get a garage to do it and I supply parts I'm looking at around £600. If I do it I'm looking at around £350..
I'm quite capable of such a task, I just need some form of walk-through.

Theres a couple on google, its same process for mk4 golf, i'd find you one but i'm on my phone

Only thing is some people take the engine mount off the gearbox to drop it out, i didnt bother and just lowered the engine slightly on a jack to make room to wiggle the gearbox out

Reactions: Spatula
Hi all, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have just gotten around to sorting the car out. I have spoken to a few people and they believe it could be the 'release pin'? I'm not exactly sure what that is, or if that could even be the problem? Does anyone have any knowledge of this and how much it would be to replace etc.?

Cheers for all your help once again!