Clutch gone .. TFSI Quattro

Rackers

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brother was borrowing my car and says clutch just gave out whilst he was overtaking in 2nd gear ..

You can apparently put the car in gear but it will not move anywhere unless you rev it high and even then it'll only go 2-3 mph.

The BIG question is how much does a clutch generally cost on one of these things?

Thanks all

I went for an uprated solid flywheel Southbend kit from America. Clutch and flywheel plus import tax came to just over a grand. I had a friend of a friend do the swap on his ramp for me, which came to £200 mates rates. Im sure if you get a standard clutch it may be cheaper, but unless you can get cheap labour or DIY, this could also be pricey! Good luck

I just happen to have the above mentioned upgrade south bend kit for sale for £750 if you won't find a better option.
To be honest if you want a brand new clutch be prepared to spend at least £500-700 + labour for fitting.
If going for a used one ,you can find a steal deal on forums,FB selling groups etc..

Thanks both. Up to this point I had no signs of DMF failure. I know there is no way of knowing until the box is out but does the DMF need to be replaced or just checked over?

Thanks again

Shop around I just picked up Sachs performance clutch/cover and luk dmf for under 700 inc delivery bought separately

@tony mc maybe able to shed some light on a really good well priced clutch as he has one fitted on his car.....I'm just waiting for mine to give up the ghost and fit one myself!

Well mine has started to slip, fml, overtaking last night in fourth, got to 2800rpm then hears the engine revving freely, looked down and saw the revs jumping to 3100rpm then the clutch bit again.

Right laugh, just bought some new wings and paid for the s4's been refurbished so am ****** skint.

what milage are you on dani, you may recal I had a suspected DMF / clutch episode over Christmas , rushed out and got both bits and then it all went quiet , not had a peep out of it since and no slipping either...very strange...

What did you have rob can't really remember It But i do recall you posting something.

Well haha, it's an 05 plate with 144k so is about due.

had some clanking/rattling sounds , had it diagnosed as probable DMF failing rapidly , then it just stopped a few days later and hasn't returned ...

Reactions: Dani_B19
Hoping my DMF has survived, not a clunk or rattle from it. Will have to see when the box is out I guess!

Argh that was it.

Thinking back to it, I'd done an 11 hour day on Friday and had just been to an interview so my head was baked. I could have easily have pressed the clutch slightly and not realised. The footwell isn't the biggest let's be honest on our cars.

Anyway I'm going to try to replicate it on the way home from work tomorrow on the same bridge and see what happens.