Clutch gone? or flywheel? 2000 1.8 TQS

neilA4

Reaction score
Ok was driving along and suddenly lost all drive! It will go into any gear I want, but when I bring the clutch pedal up i just get a grinding/rubbing noise that increases with the revs, also the speedo starts going up?

Usually when a clutch goes it starts to slip? I haven't noticed any slipping but can't think what else it can be? No nasty bang just lost all drive.

Any help appreciated need this fixed asap, I've done a few clutches before, can it be done leaving the engine where it is and just drop the gearbox?

cheers
Neil

yeah i had mine done a few months ago, bloke dropped the gearbox and fitted the clutch as duel mass was ok, LUK clutch cost me £90

If the speedo goes up, its not the clutch.

Speedo drive comes off the transmission, so the fact its working means the tranny is recieving power and supplying it to the diff.

I would look at the driveshafts and CV's.

the driveshafts / cv's are fine.

I can leave the car in 1st gear with the clutch up, spedo going, get under the car and there is a grinding noise coming from the box.

Grinding noise gets louder/faster if i change up to 2nd!

****, i need a new box?

are there any other transmission codes I could fit?

DWR is a 35/9 ratio box (3.89:1)

The following codes are also 35/9:

EEP
DWM
DWR
ENP

Obviously the main ratios on these other codes may differ, but it is compatible with your rear diff ratio.

would all of those box's phisically fit the engine/mounts/driveshafts etc?

would be good if they are all interchangeable!

ok, i'm a bell end, front inner cv is completley fubar, guess the diff is just sending all power to the bust driveshaft? glad I didn't fork out for a gearbox before removing bits first!

yep, torsen acts as an open if one end is unloaded, and the front diff is open so will feed all its power to the broken shaft.

I did say check the CV's though! :p