Clutch down and.........SNAP!! :(

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Okay, well yesterday i picked up the missus after work and went to the Chimes shopping centre about 6.30pm. I was on level 5 of the multi storey driving in circles trying to find a spot!

I'm in a little queue to turn a corner, as i put my foot on the clutch to engage 1st gear to move off, the clutch smacked the friggin floor!! I immediately crapped myself as i've never had this before, guy behind me then helped push it to the side out of the way.

I waited 2 hours for the AA. He finally arrived and checked it out where he advised the clutch pedal snapped. AA man said my clutch pedal is an uprated one which Audi released at a later point because their earlier ones were crap? Mine was the first uprated one he had seen which snapped. He done a temporary fix with a nut, bolt, couple of washers, and a couple cables ties lol. Don't ask how, he just did lol. The clutch was then back up higher than usual but i could drive it home! Result!

Now i'm sitting at home waiting for the AA to come recover the car to my usual garage to get repaired today.

Bastad thing done me over just before xmas! :(

Anyone else had this?

Ajay

at least your car starts lololol

ok, you cant drive anywhere, but at least you can sit inside it and get warm lol

hi mate,
going off experience, it seems my car's had two clutch pedals in its history. stands to reason that the replacement one musta gone too? i dont think the bitterly cold weather helps, im hearing creaks and squeaks that dont exist when its 5 degrees warmer!

It's a right pain in the ****. Well hopefully it'll get fixed today! My mechanic already has the new clutch pedal and clips etc to go with it. Just waiting for the AA to come take it.

if its anything like i had to wait they wont get there
told me a 6 hour slot
never turned up told me the broke cars were more important as mine was at home
atleast you could drive yours to the garage

Mine did this Monday got the parts from west London Audi just on the a4.
All in just under £30 for parts a quick fix nothing to worry bout,
I bought new pedal and two plastic clips all sorted by Monday afternoon

AA took the car at 11.20 so it's now on the way to the garage. I'll have the car back by end of day, thank god :)

Mechanic said clutch pedal was £25 plus £2 max for new clips.

Be thankful it was in a car park. Mine snapped half way through a track day as I was about to leave the garage to go on track. Mighty infuriating. Left on a flat bed :( Thankfully, a quick repair.

I'm glad it happened in the car park on the floor and not in the spirally thing going up and up the car park! I woulda been really screwed then!

Exactly the same thing happened to mine mate about 2 months ago, a common fault the mechanic in the garage said.

On mine, a white bit of plastic snapped off which I believe what the cable goes through.... its an easy fix though.

You're lucky as you say mate, that you werent spiralling up or down, then it would have been game over hey!!!

I hate the thought of stalling there, let alone a clutch cable snapping!!!

Sound like its not going to be an expensive repair so thank your lucky stars dude :)

Your not alone, I had creaks and squeaks for weeks and boom, it hits the floor, luckily for me I had it welded up and reinforced the next day. However I didn't fit it back on I was working, and my dad buffered the clutch switch.

Last edited:
Anyone got pics of the breakage, so you can highlight the weak points to reinforce, so that I can get mine reinforced to prevent it happening!

Its pointless taking it off to reinforce, its a fiddely ballache to remove and refit.
Wait untill it goes and get the new one welded.

The car was all sorted yesterday! The car arrived at the garage on the AA flatbed. After an hour my mechanic called me to say all done! :) Clutch pedal feels so much smoother than before. Just a shame this problem doesn't give any symptoms!

I'm thinking of getting this done next time the car's in the garage just as a preventive measure before the inevitable happens.

This happens so often these days. ****** clutch pedals. I wonder when mine will decide to give up.... :think:

Mine went today, 10mins before I got to the site I'm working on in Southend (drove from Worthing)! Anyone got part numbers for this?

I can try taking pics of my knackered one but would like to see pics of a welded/reinforced one if anyone could post some up!

IIRC there is a small monkey metal tab on the pedal arm with just 2 little spot welds on it, these are the welds which fail, my mechanic beefed up these on my new pedal after mine snapped on the way to a U2 gig.

Last edited:
Yeh it's literally just a small folded out tab of metal that pushes the clutch in.
If you reach your hand under you can feel it. The welds were tiny when I took it off. So literally just had a mate double up in it.

Is this the new updated pedal as I think mine is the old weaker one with the plastic part that has snapped.

I think he means the small plastic bush which falls out when the pedal fails.

If this happens and your stuck just switch the engine off and start it in 2nd gear and off you go again!!!
f**k waiting for the AA/RAC unless your 100miles away from home!!!
plus if your good enuf you can even change gears without the clucth!!
i cant do it but my mate can..he tells me you need to be at a certein rev range and slip it in!!!
i just drove mines back home in 2nd with hazards flashing!!!!

I was 100miles from home in Southend :(
That's the bit Wibble, going to look at taking the pedal tomorrow as not sure where this part that needs welding is.

If this happens and your stuck just switch the engine off and start it in 2nd gear and off you go again!!!
f**k waiting for the AA/RAC unless your 100miles away from home!!!
plus if your good enuf you can even change gears without the clucth!!
i cant do it but my mate can..he tells me you need to be at a certein rev range and slip it in!!!
i just drove mines back home in 2nd with hazards flashing!!!!

If you dont know how, dont bother, just sit and wait, I thought I could do it but I couldn't cost me a new gear box, which then caused more problems, better to wait 2 hours than not have your car for 1-2 weeks and have to fork out hundreds of pounds.