Clutch change

Keiran

Reaction score
Got a a3 1.8t sport Quattro. Just wondering if it's an engine out job or can you do it without removing the engine? Anybody done a clutch change on there's. Advice appreciated thanks.

Not done it myself but had my clutch on my S3 replaced a few years back. You can do it in situ, some mechanics can do it by just dropping the front sub-frame which will take about 4hrs labour; others will take almost double that as they remove more bits and bobs to get access (and it's an 8hr job in Audi dealers eyes). Oh, and you should really have the alignment done once the sub-frame is back in place.

When I was pricing it up I had JBS quoting me 4hrs and The Phirm quoting me 8 hours. JBS did the work and 4+ years on not had any problems.

Reactions: harps21k
Same procedure as an s3 dude. As a guide I charge 6 hours labour(approx £230) to remove and refit the box and replace clutch/flywheel. As said above I throw the gauges on and check alignment as subframe is removed. Hth.

Cheers lads, probably gonna have a bash myself if u can do it in situ. Just gonna make enough space to get in there properly like you say. Just need to get hold of a clutch alignment tool so the input shaft on the box will go in properly. Cheers for the replies lads.