cluster removal

dusty

Reaction score
im going to be removing my cluster at the weekend, so that my d.i.s. can be replaced as its barely readable, does anyone know if my cluster will need re coding with vcds when i re fit it, or does it only need re coding if i replace the actual cluster thanks

thanks for clearing that up for me, didnt want to take the cluster out without knowing for sure

Had mine in and out a few times over the last week while attempting my RNS-E retrofit. So yeah you dont need to recode it when it goes back in it does lose the memory of the time setting etc but thats it.

The only advise i read online was that you shouldnt turn on the ignition when you have the clocks out as people have said it can make the immobiliser go a bit funny and wont let you start the car afterwards. So i just made sure i didnt do this.

There are 3 plugs on the back of the clocks a blue a grey and a green one of which one was a pain to undo and plug back in as the cable is a little short.

I took the plastic cover off my clocks whilst i had them out to give it a bit of a clean and also remove the dead fly that had managed to get inside there.

The only advise i read online was that you shouldnt turn on the ignition when you have the clocks out as people have said it can make the immobiliser go a bit funny and wont let you start the car afterwards. So i just made sure i didnt do this.

My clocks been taken out for several times and Never had any problem with it

No probles at all, as said dont turn the ignition when the clock are out just to be on the safe side, and make sure you post up you results and if time a how to guide :)

to get the clocks out is a peice of cake.

lower the steering wheel and pull it out as far as it will go.

There is a piece of trim just below the clocks which you just pull off.

Behind this are 2 x philips screws (they can be a bit tight to undo) remove these.

then using the 2 little things you use to reset the odometer etc just pull the clocks out so that you can access the back to undo the 3 connectors.

the connectors have an arm on them that needs to be moved upwards to release it from the clocks.

Refit by doing the reverse.

thanks for the replys, i may take a few pictures and try and do a bit of a guide my computer skills are very limited though, my mate is doing the actual d.i.s replacement will let you know how it all goes