Clunking when turning?

T3nnant

Reaction score
Im a bit puzzled, I do have some mechanical knowledge but for the life of me I cant figure it out.

I fitted Coilovers around a month ago, I know they settle in so iv had to keep adjusting them to correct the height.
now around 2 weeks ago I noticed a clunking sound whenever I would corner.
I raised the car a little more and it stopped!

Couple days later it started again, so me gathering it had dropped in height again I raised it a little more... But the noise stayed.
I took the wheel back off and made sure everything was tight and no play.
stuck wheel back on, but the noise was still there.

The weekend came and I decided the worst might have happened (top nut loose)
so took the strut off, and the nut was fine! Good news and also bad I guess.
checks all the nuts were tight again and also looked for play... nothing!

So couple days later I decided to change the rollbar droplink, needless to say this droplink didn't solve the problem.

Now the interesting bit... the car only knocks on 1 side, the passenger front.
the coilovers are set the same on both sides.
We fit them in the exact same way.

the noise seems to only come when I either 1# turn a certain direction
2# go over a bump (taking pressure off and reapplying pressure to the wheels/strut assembly)

iv noticed a few people with the same problem, some are saying steering rack, some say control arms.

I know its hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing the problem...
Whats my best bet to check, any advice?

I was quoted £60 by a garage to solve the problem, needless to say those **** turpins were going to replace the droplink.
id rather not stick it in the garage if I can help it, but its driving me mad!

Same symptoms on mine, got lowering springs on tho not coilies.
left it in a garage with my mate for a quick visual inspection , he said everything seems to be ok.
Mine does it ,mostly on roundabouts, taking right turns at low speeds.
So I'm curious what could it be....
Let me know once you find out what the cause is.

Reactions: T3nnant
Same symptoms on mine, got lowering springs on tho not coilies.
left it in a garage with my mate for a quick visual inspection , he said everything seems to be ok.
Mine does it ,mostly on roundabouts, taking right turns at low speeds.
So I'm curious what could it be....
Let me know once you find out what the cause is.

Sounds almost the same mate, its the fact every turn I do I know the noise is coming..
Im going tto get a mate of mine to stick it on rattle plates I think. I have a feeling it could be control arms, but there is around £80+ difference between lower and upper.

I only have clunking when I reverse and turn the steering wheel all the way over. Does anyone get that, too?

weird that you say dry as other day we had some major rain and main street was flooded... A bus drove past me and a wave went over my bonnet,
the day after and the day after that the noise went! Literally no noise at all.

suddenly today its back, even worse than I can remember.
im going to drop into quikfit tomorrow and see if they will let me check top arms

What price were you given for both arms?

try and get yourself some adjustable control arms a bit pricey at £500 but if your running really low it will make a world of difference.

Im not stupidly low to be honest mate, only slightly lower than a standard sline

Had it on the ramps this morning and literally couldn't find anything!
only thing that slightly showed any wear was a slight mark on the spring itself. Its also sitting rather close to the nut of one of the upper control arms which is making me think that it could be hitting when under load. There isn't a big mark but its enough to question it.}

Im going to wind the coil right down and try to wiggle the spring into a different position, hopwefully that will sort it!

Reactions: glasgowA4
Update, I got around to winding coilover right down and shifting the spring to sit away from the nut.
Noise is still there sadly...
but after twisting the spring, I noticed a split in the top rubber hat above the spring. Now weirdly I still don't think this is the cause.
even though the mechanic I used said he couldn't see any play or damaged, after twisting and shaking one of the top links I have noticed a little bit of play that might be the cause.
After spraying a little wd40 on it to try and make it a bit more plyable, the noise seemed to have got worse which is making me lean towards this link.

Im going to get a replacement as see where this leaves me!

The spring may not be seated in the right position, which may cause the clunking noise as the spring is turning but isn't meant to be.

right I never got around to updating this...

1# I moved the spring and still a noise
2# I tried to replace the control arm but for my life I couldn't get it free... since I needed the car I decided to leave it.
3# I sprayed everything and I mean every bush I could see in lubricant, and the noise has stopped!

I haven't had it for over a week now, but I guess the problem will still be there when it dries out..

Thinking mine might be the ARB bushes. They are looking worn. My mate filled them with grease and it seems to have dampened the issue. So gonna order a couple.

Any luck mate? Got my bushes being fitted Saturday. Under £7 delivered from carpartsforless lemforder ones

I haven't had a noise since I sprayed everything haha!

im so glad but at same time cant help but think something is up

If it's anything like mine and you've dropped it a lot, then it will be control arms under stress as you tighten them up while the cars up off the ground and when you drop it the bush over twists to compensate for the excessive drop. You may need to release the pressure while it's down (use a pit) I found that got rid of 80% of the noise. The other 20% is my top mount on the drivers side constantly squeek even though there both upgraded new mounts.

If it's anything like mine and you've dropped it a lot, then it will be control arms under stress as you tighten them up while the cars up off the ground and when you drop it the bush over twists to compensate for the excessive drop. You may need to release the pressure while it's down (use a pit) I found that got rid of 80% of the noise. The other 20% is my top mount on the drivers side constantly squeek even though there both upgraded new mounts.

this explains a lot actually.

I tried to get my head under the car... mine isn't really low at all but stil cant see under. but from what I did see, everything seems to have dropped quite a lot!
If the noise comes back im defo going to do this!

right I never got around to updating this...

1# I moved the spring and still a noise
2# I tried to replace the control arm but for my life I couldn't get it free... since I needed the car I decided to leave it.
3# I sprayed everything and I mean every bush I could see in lubricant, and the noise has stopped!

I haven't had it for over a week now, but I guess the problem will still be there when it dries out..

what sort of lubricant did you use?
might as well give it a try as a temporary solution.

what sort of lubricant did you use?
might as well give it a try as a temporary solution.

I used a rustoleum x1 lubricant spray.
suppose silicone lubricant would work fine as its rubber. even wd40