Clunking sound when stopping.

Stakeknife

Reaction score
Hi all, recently I've noticed what sounds like a clunking noise from the front when I reverse and come to a stop. Not sure if its DSG/brake/suspension related or what. I'm sure I have had similar on a previous car but which i cannot remember.
Front brakes squeal too but I'm putting this down to the original pads. Cars a S3 2011 with 28k.

Thankyou.

Reactions: RedarT
That sounds like the dogbone bushes to me. Mine made one clonk when you moved off quickly and another clonk when you came to a stop. You can feel it through the footwell/footrest. Is this what you are experiencing?

It is the bush on the left:

Engine mount complete

I'll try and make it reoccur tomorrow. From what I remember I can feel a slight thud too. Think it only happens when I brake hard from a low speed.
Taking car for the 034 RARB fitting on Wednesday so will get them to check it. Always handy to point them in the right direction though.

I'll try and make it reoccur tomorrow. From what I remember I can feel a slight thud too. Think it only happens when I brake hard from a low speed.
Taking car for the 034 RARB fitting on Wednesday so will get them to check it. Always handy to point them in the right direction though.

Yeah have a look and let us know how you get on. It may also be the subframe moving aswell, so aske them to remove one of the subframe bolts, and look at this area where the subframe meets the body. If you can see scratch marks(exposed shiny alloy surface) then you know the subframe has been moving and scraping leaving that shiny scratched surface. There are a number of ways to fix this, cheap or expensive.

Mine is a DSG and does it but only when I reverse and stop.

Brothers Golf R DSG does the same thing.

Got the 034 RARB fitted, its a nice addition.
Mentioned the above symptom while I was there and was told they couldn't see anything and it may be the pads moving around.
(I didn't pursue further because they couldn't be bothered), probably last time I use them tbh.