Clunking sound only in reveres

raffhussain

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted some advice. I have a Audi S3 8P3 s-tronic. When I put it in reverse and hit my brakes to stop it makes a clunking noise. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front. Brakes? suspension top mounts?

Any ideas?

Thanks

That could be one of many things, Engine and gearbox mounts, ARB droplinks and mounts, steering rack mounts, shock absorber top mounts and bushes, brake calliper mounting screws and even the brake pads. If you have an MOT coming up soon, the tester might find something amiss, let him know your problem and he should scrutinize all the possible causes.

Reactions: raffhussain
Thanks for the reply
I have service coming up next month and will get them to look into it. Its not really bothered me to be fair but a knocking sound can get annoying after a bit. Also sounds to me its coming from front driver side wheel. Come to think of it Audi changed the brakes and discs last year. Might get them to investigate.

I had my brake pads click back when I was stopping in reverse. Normal

I had a similar noise on my S3 but only when reversing. turned out to be a missing bolt from my rear caliper .
Got it fixed sharpish

Thanks for the comments.

Might just be normal, like Bazzle says. It only happens in reverse and when I hit the brake to stop of slow down. It only does it the once. Booked in with Audi next month for a service and rear brakes. I will get them to have a look at this too.

Or sub frame movement, there is a cheap kit to fix the issue sold by ecs.
Caused by stretched subframe bolts. could be as others have said, I just had my pads changed on the rear and guess what? yes a clunk noise.

Why does is it you try to replicate the sound so you can see or hear where its coming from.....it never happens. Tried several times but it didn't happen.