Clunking noise when depressing clutch

Mel.90s

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car has a problem and the whole things been rather conflicting trying to figure what it is!

If I start from the beginning. When my car is in neutral and I depress the clutch I get a clunking noise and the gear stick wobbles.

This also happens when I'm shifting up and shifting down in lower gears whilst driving. I suspect the clunking is drowned out by road noise whilst in higher gears .Please note, there is no noise when releasing the clutch,only when its depressed. Soo this is where it gets abit complicated (for me anyway) I've figured out how to make the noise stop! Maybe this can bring abit of clarity..

Anyway, when I shift down to slow ,as long as my rpm is below 1000 I can depress the clutch without it clunking . If I depress the clutch and its OVER 1000 revs,even just a little that's when I get the clunking.

In stop start traffic jams, I have to ensure I press the break to slow down below 1000 before I depress the clutch to shift down. Sounds normal ... yes but whilst the gaps between traffic can be small ,im finding myself focusing on my rpm when my eyes should be on the road.

Especially annoying when you pick up a little speed in 1st ,traffic stops then I depress my clutch to go onto edging abit with clutch control no gas.

This clonk can be felt in the footwell and the gear stick would wobble.

Finding myself seriously adjusting my driving style.

I took it into Audi and suggested a clutch replacement. They said its backlash from the engine and nothing to worry about,but im not happy with this. I'm getting suggestions like the release bearing / gearbox etc.

What does this sound like? Id like to find out why the clonk noise only happens at higher revs too. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, much appreciated!

Last edited:
It shouldn't clunk - clunks and rattles can be a sign that the DMF is on it's way out. Diesels often show this way. For it to affect the gear stick it has to be something vibrating the gearbox as it's cable driven.

It's not backlash by the sounds of it though - you can provoke that a little bit in 1st/2nd by not being clean with the throttle but still no clonking. TBH on a S1 the only knocking type noise you will hear routinely (and is nothing to worry about) is the slack take up in the diff when reversing slowly for example

It shouldn't clunk - clunks and rattles can be a sign that the DMF is on it's way out. Diesels often show this way. For it to affect the gear stick it has to be something vibrating the gearbox as it's cable driven.

It's not backlash by the sounds of it though - you can provoke that a little bit in 1st/2nd by not being clean with the throttle but still no clonking. TBH on a S1 the only knocking type noise you will hear routinely (and is nothing to worry about) is the slack take up in the diff when reversing slowly for example
Thanks so much for getting back to me this really helps!

Maybe the gearbox mount is knackered?
Maybe,my knowledge is quite basic, but this might explain why the shake is less pronounced when im at lower speeds when the cars more steady and heightens when im going faster. If my logic works I dont know lol! Thanks for your reply

Last edited:
Here it is in action. Mid way through you can see and hear it when I push the clutch in.