SamH

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice please.

Having become the proud owner of an Audi A3 8P Black Edition (59 plate) for around a year, sadly, we have noticed some frustrating suspension issues. The car is on 140,000 miles so understand that some of the suspension components will possibly be past their best.
The only other possible point of interest is that before I owned the car, I now know that air suspension had been fitted in the past. But the car was put back to stock form before I purchased.

There seem to be two separate issues.

1) There is a "clunk" after I have turned right, and am turning back to centre. Only after turning right. This clunk started off being unpredictable around 6-7 months ago. But now I can get it to make this noise every time after I turn right and centre the wheel. It's at the same point that I centre the wheel and it's almost a metallic "twang". Like a spring popping. The intensity of this noise can vary from day to day. It also seems to make this same noise when going down a hill and going into dip in the road - if that makes sense.
To try and fix the issue, both top mount bearings have been changed as this was a suspected culprit. Sadly, nothing has changed. What is interesting is that after the car has been jacked up, the noise seems to stop for a few miles, and then reappear.

2) This issue has only recently started. When traveling at low speeds (sub 20mph) along a single track road, there appears to be an annoying rattle. It is suspension related I feel as it still makes this noise when the clutch is depressed (coasting).

These noises are really tiresome and I would like to get them fixed. As the top mounts have already been replaced, any other suggestions for when I take it to the garage are much appreciated.

Advice, suggestions and thoughts are welcomed - thank you.

it might be the spring shifting out of the goove at the bottom of the strut.
leon-mk2-16399.png

so where A ends, its might not be locating there, and shifting when you turn right.
with new top mount bearings and as long as the spring isnt cracked, i cant think of a reason why theyd do that unless theyre the wrong springs.

drop links for the rattle?

Reactions: SamH
it might be the spring shifting out of the goove at the bottom of the strut.
leon-mk2-16399.png

so where A ends, its might not be locating there, and shifting when you turn right.
with new top mount bearings and as long as the spring isnt cracked, i cant think of a reason why theyd do that unless theyre the wrong springs.

drop links for the rattle?

Thanks so much for your help. Certainly much appreciated. I’m getting the car looked at next week and this arms me with some helpful information.

Any way to check the issue you mentioned with the springs moving? Thinking perhaps it would be good to check with the car jacked up, and as I turn the wheel, see if those springs rotate?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/broken-front-spring-help-info-needed.380435/

i had an identical issue with the clunk noise when turning right (although mine was near full lock right).
cause was a snapped spring and seized/worn top mount bearing.

when i first had a look at the issue, i had someone turn the wheel to the right while i looked at the spring. id do it on the ground as youre taking off the load when its in the air. you can see it jump and twist as it makes the twang noise.
id guess either the spring is snapped or the spring is the wrong fitment for the car.

That is very helpful - thank you for your thoughts. It was also helpful to see your thread - appreciate you linking me to that.

Can't say that I have heard a "twang" like in your video of the spring snapping, but will ask the mechanic to double check this and the drop links.

Much appreciated - thank you :thumbs up:

The clattering when running is probably a ball joint or drop link mate, an mot garage should find these things if you ask for something like a pre mot check, somewhere like kwikcrap as they'll identify every tiny fault in an attempt to sell you something. You can then Say "thanks I'll think about that" and then use your own labour or a friendly garage to fix them. You can even watch them test things.

I have the same issues with my audi after changing into lowering springs..

Thank you both above for your replies...

Good thinking Scotty, sadly living in a rural part of Wales, we don’t have too many Kwikfit outfits, but excellent thoughts - thank you.

@zygutis - appreciate your input. These noises have only been after I owned the car and it’s gone back to “stock” suspension. Does yours make these noises since it’s been lowered, or are you back to “stock” set up too?

Thank you for your comments so far...

I heard it about one week after lowering it(maybe i didn't hear these noises first week).. At first it i thought that i have rubbing.. It sounds like rubbing, sometimes knocking, i hear it when turning left, at low speeds, or when right wheel is on lower or higher place than other side.. sometimes i can hear it when driving straight and turn a little to the left.. Someone said that it can be drop links, but in my opinion it should sound on bumps, but mines don't do that.. one more thought that it can be brake caliper..

Say when you solve this headache ;)
p.s. sorry for not so good english

So a little update...

One of the front drop links was broken. These have been replaced and this has solved the rattling noise :icon thumright:
The mechanic also suggested changing the Front Wishbone Arm Rear Bushes... A mouthful! Both of these had micro cracks in the rubber bushes.
After all of these changes, the steering is tighter and the clunk noise stopped... For a week! Now it is back, agh :scared2:!

Any suggestions or ideas at all? Why would it be fine for a week and then start again?
Only thing I can add is that the dust covers of the front shock absorbers are loose, but still doing their job. Can't see how this could be affected in any way...

Any advice appreciated - thank you!

When i had wheel replacement, mechanic said that it could be from spring.. between spring and schock pad, should be rubber, mines don't have it, so i decided that this is where problem is.. Try to lubricate with wd-40 or something simillar or check if there is any noises after washing or rainy day..

As your car is high mileage, it’s not Suprising there will be clunks, rattles and squeaks. Do we know if new Audi springs and shocks were fitted when the air ride stuff was removed? If unbranded parts used then they do cause problems, breaking and slipping etc. If it were me I would remove the 2 struts and examine them closely. Also any suspension or steering gear bushes will be wearing now and need a close look.

When i had wheel replacement, mechanic said that it could be from spring.. between spring and schock pad, should be rubber, mines don't have it, so i decided that this is where problem is.. Try to lubricate with wd-40 or something simillar or check if there is any noises after washing or rainy day..

Thank you for your advice, I will try to take a look into this.

As your car is high mileage, it’s not Suprising there will be clunks, rattles and squeaks. Do we know if new Audi springs and shocks were fitted when the air ride stuff was removed? If unbranded parts used then they do cause problems, breaking and slipping etc. If it were me I would remove the 2 struts and examine them closely. Also any suspension or steering gear bushes will be wearing now and need a close look.

Hello SootySport, thank you for your message.
I know that the car is getting to an age where noises can become an issue, but I don't see a reason why they cannot be fixed.
Your advice on the parts used when going back to stock is a good idea, as I do not know what springs and shocks were put back on. I will see if I can find out from the previous owner.
Thank you for your help.

For the price off new back n front shocks would it not be worth just changing them out ,

I know this is an old thread bump. But for anyone else looking to see what the issue was, I thought an update may be helpful...

Issue 1) One of the front drop links was broken. These have been replaced and this has solved the rattling noise :icon thumright:
The mechanic also suggested changing the Front Wishbone Arm Rear Bushes... A mouthful! Both of these had micro cracks in the rubber bushes.

Issue 2) Turned out to be the front shock absorbers and top mounts.
EVEN though the top mounts were changed less than 8 months ago! I have a feeling it may be because OE parts were used, not genuine Audi parts.
Shocks and top mounts replaced with Audi parts and the noise has gone.

I hope this update may be helpful for other members perhaps experiencing issues such as this.

Reactions: samuelh_888