Clunk/ knock when braking please help :(

cwuk2001

Reaction score
Hey all, just alately whilst driving when I brake I've noticed a loud clunk/knock it does not alter anythin on the car the noise is just very annoying and embarrassing!

Ive had it to the garage today and they say they can't visually see anything wrong,

Any ideas?

Regards chris

bump for this, got a similar noise, on;ly when i tap the brakes at low speed

Last bod who had these symptons found out one of his calliper bolts was loose so needs a good check over, quick. Brake pad could be broken or loose as well. If the brakes check out then you'll be looking at suspension bushes and really anything on the suspension or steering

thanks for the reply.

i have replaced all suspension arms and bushes for febi bilstein ones about 3 weeks ago, complete with all new bolts,

i also tightened the subframe when i done the suspension arms, and all arms were torqued and yeilded correctly.

i only get the clunk when traveling at low speeds in a car park or something, and then tap the brake peddle,

i have jacked the car up and made sure eveything was tight, and inspected the calip, and i just cant find anything, its really annoying.

Hej

Does the sound stop after you touch the pedal? Have you checked the clips that hold the pads in place.....have you removed the pads and checked them out recently.

BR
A

when i done the suspension arms i had to remove the hub, so the calipers and discs came off.

i put everything back as it came off.

on the pads there are just the 3 pronged clips, and the front spring clip that holds the outer pad and caliper in place.

if i get a screw driver and pry against the caliper and the caliper carrier, the calipers move with very little force.

the clunk sounds like something rattling around in the glove box (but it definately isnt)

i have only noticed it when tapping the brakes from about 10 mph, if you tap the brake in succesion it only does it the once,

also seems to be louder once warm,

Every now and again, especially if the car had been sitting for a bit I have terrible trouble with discs and pads fouling up and I need to get the pads removed....clean em up and put them back together again...especially the rears....I recall having the same issue back in 2012 when I bought my bus...but the discs were shot back then too.

Good Luck,
BR
A

ok thanks, will check out the rears

Also I know this sounds ****** stupid....but if you can get a Mate to follow you walking....as you are driving along in a carpark / off road somwhere... with his ear towards the bottom of your car, to pinpoint where the clunk is coming from ....I know it sounds bizarre and humungously dumb....but you'd be amazed, that you think the noise is coming from the front.... when it's actually the rear.
Cheers
A

Going to be a tricky one this, reckon you'll stumble across the cause eventually.

Thought I better update this, after it driving me barmy, I took it into John Austin in Colchester and he diagnosed it was the n/s front brake pad in the caliper, I didn't believe him, but spent the money anyway as the discs were close to needing to be changed.

The sod was only right, so I spent months jacking the car up, checking I done everything tight, and rechecking, shaking everything that can be, then thinking it must be the prop, started pricing one of them up, and it was the brake pad all along.

Doh!!

Kudos to John Austin for diagnosing as soon as he heard it, I had gone to 3 other garages who couldn't diagnose it, and as I said I spent many a time trying to figure it.

SX.....Just wondering what the issue was with the pad and caliper as Im facing the same problem...even with new pads??

Thought I better update this, after it driving me barmy, I took it into John Austin in Colchester and he diagnosed it was the n/s front brake pad in the caliper, I didn't believe him, but spent the money anyway as the discs were close to needing to be changed.

The sod was only right, so I spent months jacking the car up, checking I done everything tight, and rechecking, shaking everything that can be, then thinking it must be the prop, started pricing one of them up, and it was the brake pad all along.

Doh!!

Kudos to John Austin for diagnosing as soon as he heard it, I had gone to 3 other garages who couldn't diagnose it, and as I said I spent many a time trying to figure it.

Hi pilott,

The pads that were in there were cheap ECP pads, I replaced with ATE pads as they are the OEM.

I also put new spring clips in, I believe it's these spring clips that cause most the problem, and then with the pads getting knocked about in the calliper they go out of shape.

But a set of decent pads and new spring sorted mine out

Hi pilott

I think the spring clip needs replacing at the same time. Mine only starting clunking after I took it apart to change the arms, and then put it back together with all the old bits (it wasn't clunking before).

I put all new ATE pads, and first line discs on the front along with new spring clips and it's been fine ever since.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the suspension arm (front axle left lower rear for me). Did you replace all the suspension arms?

Hello! Just letting you know that I ran into the same issue on my girlfriend's 2015 A4.

The symptoms were very similar to yours. It started off pretty soft and gradually got worse. A weird knock sound on small bumps when travelling under 40mph. At first it wasn't when braking, but it started happening when braking. Turns out it was the inner brake pad. The pad material and rotor were fine, but the 3 prongs that keep the brake pad seated in the piston had fatigued and would rattle around when hitting the right bump.

When I took the caliper off to inspect things, the pad just fell out of the piston. Bent the metal back so it fit snug and didn't move around, reassembled everything, et Voila!