Clonking from front end. Suspension? b7 a4. please help

oztek tim

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to audi ownership, I have bought an 06 2.0 tdi a4 avant s line FWD two weeks ago. It has since developed a knock from the front end.
This occurs when dipping the clutch to change gear and when 'backing' off the accelerator.
I have replaced the front anti roll bar bush's and it has made no difference.
I have inspected the car underneath and there seems to be no obvious causes. The car has covered 103k miles and apart from that it is fine.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any help is much appreciated as it is driving me mad.

Thanks Tim

I had a similar problem coming from the rear on my B6 A4. They Audi guy noticed it driving it in and out of its service. He rightly said he thought it was the rear gearbox mount - £182 to replace mount bracket. It could be something similar at your front end? Worth getting them to check it out. Not a major job really.

Hi

I have been trying to sort this problem out for over a year. I have replaced both Engine and Front gearbox mounts - made Zero difference. When I bought the car second hand at 120k I thought this Jolt was the DMF - so i had this replaced along with the clutch too. This too made no difference. Recently I came accross this: Rear Diff Mount, Poly, B6/B7 Chassis - 034 MOTORSPORT They ship to the UK too. Check out all the bits they do!

I am also trying to sort another problem. When I brake firmly there is a bad knock(clunk) from the front left. I have just had the front lower wishbone(large bushes) replaced and this made no difference either.

Something else I read is that Audi's suffer from cracked front sub frames! So, I will have this checked next.

One thing that surprised me about this car was the loose back end! This is now fixed by fitting a stock RS4 Antiroll bar, genuine Audi price is £75. Get your performance place to fit it. It has transformed the car in fast corners.

Speedy

Last edited: