Climate control units

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
ok so here is the breakdown on the heater units:

crappy manual heater knobs from 2003 i believe:

image.png

nothing nice or exciting about these... if you have it then i suggest you sell your car and get a new one that has a proper climate control unit as there is no way to convert it!

climate control units from 2003/2004 (not sure when they first came out)

ag_07a3_climatecontrol.jpg

available in single and double din versions, pretty standard units... side note - hold down the auto button for 3 seconds to match the passengers temp to the drivers side.

climate control from 2008:

A3_A3Cabriolet_B2C5_F401_HF.png

will work on 57 plate cars onwards... double din climate units only... you can try to plug it into an older car but all the functions just wont work properly. look nice and updated.

modified climate control units:

e5310d33.jpg

this is the hybrid that i completed which has the chrome knobs on the older climate unit so that us who have older cars can still have the bling :)
details for the conversion is here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ft-chome-climate-control-module-switches.html

Have to buy a climate and take the off just keep your eyes peeled on eBay they do come up cheap I have seen a few now, next time I come across one I will post the link.

Reactions: Boydie
my econ doesnt stay on all the time. i just prefer to leave it on :p

the chrome knobs have to come from a donor unit, but as you can see in the link i put above when i made the hybrid i have put the old knobs on the facelift unit and it works perfectly.

Yh my econ stays on a the time still get heating etc as normal just werid

Ash, hope you dont mind me posting in here to say that I have a 2008 unit (does not have heated seat buttons) going in the classifieds very shortly if anyone is looking. It's in excellent condition. No chips, dents or marks.

A3_A3Cabriolet_B2C5_F401_HF.png

will work on 57 plate cars onwards... double din climate units only... you can try to plug it into an older car but all the functions just wont work properly. look nice and updated.

HI mate,

Ive recently purchased an A3 ,just for work, and 1 i can tinker around with at wknds etc. Its a 2004 Model, no Air Con, Its the standard heating unit. Could I for cosmetics alone hook up the digital Air con unit, and it would still work ok with my heating etc?

This is the standard unit i have.:

RIdlanV.jpg

No that unit cannot be changed, the connectors at the back are totally different and won't allow your heating to plug in or work.

I have 2006 sportback with the single din concert, heated seats option and i want to do the double din upgrade.
I have a donor 56plate car with double din concert but the heater unit has no heated seats, so what unit can i fit to replace my old one?
am i right i can take the cage and the d/din concert(until I can afford rns unit??

You would need to get a double din heated seats version climate control. You would need to avoid the chrome knobbed ones as those work for 2007+ cars.
I picked one up last year for around £60 which is a fairly good price considering they usually go for about £100+

Yes you can use the cage and stereo until you get an rnse

Reactions: manor13
I have 2006 sportback with the single din concert, heated seats option and i want to do the double din upgrade.
I have a donor 56plate car with double din concert but the heater unit has no heated seats, so what unit can i fit to replace my old one?
am i right i can take the cage and the d/din concert(until I can afford rns unit??

Or you can shave the edges of yours to fit, just make a template from card.

Reactions: manor13
Hi I have recently bought a 2010 a3 se I have the standard knobs for my heating system I was wondering if I could simply unplug it and replace it with the climate control unit, any help will be appreciated thanks

Hi, I have 06/2007 A3 and I have a similar question: can i do a straight upgrade from my pre-facelift climatronic to facelift climatronic with chrome knobs or i will have the aircon flaps problem i've read somewhere? Thanks.

Hi I have recently bought a 2010 a3 se I have the standard knobs for my heating system I was wondering if I could simply unplug it and replace it with the climate control unit, any help will be appreciated thanks

No, standard knobbed heater systems cannot be changed. As I first said in post 1... Get a new car for climate control

Hi, I have 06/2007 A3 and I have a similar question: can i do a straight upgrade from my pre-facelift climatronic to facelift climatronic with chrome knobs or i will have the aircon flaps problem i've read somewhere? Thanks.
Your sitcom won't work with the newer units. You would need to do the hybrid swap as I have in mine. (Bottom of post 1)