Climate control unit

VagCabby

Reaction score
Posted a while back about my friends B6 cab and the heater direction motors not moving. I have today fitted my climate control unit into his car and everything works as it should, so the problem is the climate unit.

His car is a double din, I want to buy a second hand unit off ebay (as cheap as possible) all the double din units are silly money but the single din units are cheaply priced with pealing buttons.

My question is, can I take the single din internals out and fit them into his almost mint condition double din casing?

Also realise B6 & B7 climate units are different because of the rear demister wiring changes.

Also you must always do a full basic setting of any climate unit in another car, this calibrates & resets everything, then test each direction & button to make sure its working as it should be, swapping across & testing isn't the ideal way to do things, vcds reset 1st then test to be 100% sure.

They do the same functions & usually people trim them down to move lower down.

Cheers for the help but ive already tested the unit in his car with VCDS and calibrated everything and nothing worked. I could get the motors to twitch very slightly but nobe would move fully. I've then taken my unit out of my cabriolet and fitted it into his and all the motors have functioned as they should do with each button. So its definitely pointing to a faulty climate unit.

As said im just wanting to know if it's possible to swap the cases over as most of the units on ebay are single din and also have really tatty buttons lol

Yes you can. Just open both up and transfer your board to the new one

As I said people, trim down there single din versions when doing the conversion, so there's no issues with fitment & using afaik :)

Just an update on this, new unit bought off eBay, changed the front panel over for his good unmarked one, everything now works as it should! so if anyone has all the motors stop working for their vents, try and new climate unit before changing the motors.