Sir_Bacharach

Reaction score
Hi, I have an A3 8P1 2006 model. It has single din radio so I did the research and upgraded to a double DIN unit. I took the cage and climate control unit as well as the buttons I needed from a 2004 model.

I'm not sure if I'm perhaps being paranoid but when it's in AUTO mode the fans seem to stay on low regardless of interior or exterior temperatures and regardless of engine temperature.

I set the temperature as high or as low as I want and the fan speeds never seem to change. I can't even feel air coming from the blowers.

If I take it out of auto mode I can set fan speeds to anything I want as expected I can hear and feel them blowing at the set speeds.

What I have noticed is that I can drop the temperature to the lowest setting if 16°c whilst on AUTO even on a hot day and the fans won't spin up, but if I change the temp down to LO, the fans will come on full speed.

The unit looks exactly the same with the same buttons and the same plug fittings as my old one did, the only difference is the size of the fascia of it as it's designed to fit the double DIN cage and my old one that came with the car was designed for the single DIN cage that came with the car.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

I'm wondering if the unit is perhaps incompatible or if it's broken?

From the research I've done I should be able to fit any unit until the 2007 facelift units as they are definitely incompatible.

I wonder if the guts of the unit from my original one will just drop into the plastic housing of this replacement 2004 one?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound right, mine all worked fine when I did the conversion. You can swap the front with all the rear parts of your unit, pretty easy to do

Reactions: Sir_Bacharach
Doesn't sound right, mine all worked fine when I did the conversion. You can swap the front with all the rear parts of your unit, pretty easy to do

That's great news mate (about swapping the innards).
I think the fan is speeding up, but not enough, it's as if the temperature sensor on the unit is knackered, I'll remove it and pop it open and swap the innards and examine the old one.

I didn't know if each car had the aircons temp sensor calibrated when it was put into the car or something crazy like that.

Cheers for the reply.

Rob.

Fingers crossed it'll all work for you, the facelift ones sort of work too, only issue they have is the aircon not working right, not really a problem if you keep it on auto all the time, like me

I got the replacement out of a car that was breaking, if I remember right it didn't have any doors on, so the temperature sensor could have been got dust in from being exposed to the elements, it was still in the dash mind, but it was in a mucky yard.

What stereo did you go for in yours? Got any pics? I went for a Pioneer AVIC- DAB-70, it has Android Auto which is really handy for playing my music, charging my phone, as well as hands free, DAB and the Sat Nav, I was toying with getting the AUDI unit, but I didn't think it would be as functional, the Audi ones do look more at home though in my opinion and I was afraid of this one getting nicked, but it's been OK so far and I've head the AUDI ones are very desirable now too. I've heard of a lot of thefts.

It's a bit dusty in this pic, but this is what it ended up looking like, I lost a screw under the carpet and scratched the two hand grips near the gearknob a bit, but it's looking the part and much better than the concert one. Oh and I had to shove the ESP light behind where the other switches and lights are because I couldn't find one to fit the Double DIN button tray thing.

I wouldn't mind replacing the ashtray with that rubber tray thing that I've seen, not sure of where to get them from though. The ashtray is pointless now and I can see it getting scratched my phone or the USB cable for the head unit.

Attachments

• head unit.jpg
    head unit.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 221
Mine looks pretty much the same, mines pushed slightly further in though, to keep everything flush, I managed to get all the buttons and trim from the same car, I actually still use the ashtray as when it's open it holds my phone sideways perfectly

13095972 10154759252661509 405449816303901423 n
Nice.

You were absolutely right, the innards were interchangeable and the Aircon now works as it should.

I'm wondering though if the problem was the amount of thick dust on the temperature sensor on the replacement unit that didn't seem to work properly.

I'm wondering if a blast of compressed air could have sorted the problem, once I'd took the unit out though I just wanted to put the old electronics back in because I knew they worked for sure.

I'd recommend that if anyone else has a similar issue, they try a can of compressed air onto the temperature sensor first.

You never know, it could work.

Last edited:
I read that you need to take the side handles off next to the gearstick, so I did. Then I tried pulling at it from the bottom, it wasn't coming out that way, so then I tried taking the surround off that surrounds the ESP button and coin tray, once that was off I tried pulling from the top, it came out quite easily from the top, but it was a good thing I took the side handles off because I remember the aircon unit being too tight to fit past the handles, but I think you'd probably get away with just undoing the top alan bolts on the handles which would allow the handles to flex out at the top to give space to do it.

I'd just take the handles off altogether to do a proper job though. It was a pain to get the bolts back in for the handles that are situated directly under the aircon unit. I've scratched the handles a bit mind, not too pleased about that, but unless I'm looking, I don't really notice the scratches.

I tell you what I have done though is cleaned the S-Line badge on the steering wheel and the red paint has come off it. I'm wondering if I can get a perfect replacement for that, or perhaps just a bit of red paint to paint over it.

Oh and for anyone considering doing anything in this area, I'd get some lint free cloths to put over the handles to stop yourself from accidently scraping the handles, because it's easy to do.

Ahh, with mine, I just pull the unit which pushes out the button trim above, take that off then the unit comes straight out, my handles are scratched to buggery anyway, I recon a new badge is in order for the steering wheel, if it's not perfect then it's staring you right in the face all the time

Reactions: Sir_Bacharach
I think you're right. I might enquire with a dealer to see if I can get an official one or not, I bet Ebay is full of counterfeit rubbish.