Clicking/rattling noise when heaters on on cold (BKD)

Qasim91

Reaction score
Hi all, recently in the past few weeks my car makes a clicking or rattling noise when I turn the heaters when the engine is cold and still does it to around when it shows70c on the dash and the exhaust will start to smoke white.
I had been losing water previously but it stopped for like a month (K Seal) and think it is starting again.
Car is 2004 A3 2.0 tdi on 188k.
Any idea what the cause is?
Thanks

Yeah common fault on the my 59 S3 does same annoys the **** out of me

Reactions: Qasim91
Started car cold again and listened to where sound was coming from. Could only pinpoint it near the alternator area.

I had summat similar to this.. If it sounds like it's coming from behind the dash then if you drop your glove box you'll see the yellow heater motor arm.. That's what's making the noise. Not a cheap fix as it's a pain to replace

I had summat similar to this.. If it sounds like it's coming from behind the dash then if you drop your glove box you'll see the yellow heater motor arm.. That's what's making the noise. Not a cheap fix as it's a pain to replace
Thanks Danny i'll keep an eye for that

Hi all, recently in the past few weeks my car makes a clicking or rattling noise when I turn the heaters when the engine is cold and still does it to around when it shows70c on the dash and the exhaust will start to smoke white.
I had been losing water previously but it stopped for like a month (K Seal) and think it is starting again.
Car is 2004 A3 2.0 tdi on 188k.
Any idea what the cause is?
Thanks

Localised boiling of coolant due to not moving around block etc due to lack of coolant..??

Localised boiling of coolant due to not moving around block etc due to lack of coolant..??
Maybe, I have had used K Seal twice since I first saw it losing coolant months ago.

Update: parked the car outside my house and noticed white smoke coming from under bonnet around passenger side. Leaky radiator?? Can see some fluids on the bottom tray cover.

That sounds like coolant leaking near the exhaust manifold or downpipe. Should be easier to trace the leak now you have a coolant escape.

That sounds like coolant leaking near the exhaust manifold or downpipe. Should be easier to trace the leak now you have a coolant escape.
Update: My mechanic had a look and suspects it could be the coolant flange. Ordered one from TPS and hopefully get it fitted tomorrow morning.
I'll update you guys.

Update: got the coolant flange changed. The old one looked in a bad way was corroded/damaged on one side and the seal was pretty much gone.
Will see how the coolant level is next couple of days.