Clicking Problem

mark.colledge

Reaction score
afternoon guys,

recently i have been getting a clicking noise coming from the engin.

it only apears to happen going forward. i have applied the hardbrake and took the bite in reverse and nothing. when i put it in gear one it clicks. withing the past 2 years it has had a new gear box and clutch/flywheel.

has this happened to anyone or does anyone know anything that it could be. mabie the cv going into the gear box?
i honestly dont have a clue but its starting to bug me.

any help would be great.

look forward to hearing from you.

thanks in advance

Mark

Are you saying that when you put the car into first and reach biting point with the handbrake on you then hear a click?

Sounds like its just the brake caliper moving to me.
When you get the biting point in reverse with the handbake on your caliper will be forced slightly backwards, and when you get the biting point in 1st gear with the handbrake on or drive forward the brake the caliper will move forward slightly again, and I bet that is the click you are hearing.

It used to happen on my last A3.

Try doing this....

Drive backwards and brake. Then drive forward slowly and brake again. You should hear the click.

thats what happens. but sometimes when I'm letting the car 'drive itself' and you tap the throttle it clicks then?
brakes again.

if so do you know a fix for this?

This is a common feature of A3s (but not all). There may be a fix.. i.e. tightening things up down there. But I wouldn't worry about it. Its just a feature of some cars.

so im told... its either play in your dual mass fly wheel or a butterfly valve in the exhaust opening and closing. I must say i keep meaning to look for the valve in the exhaust when im under the car but cant personally confirm it has one yet!

It's the exhaust tip valve. Opens only at certain speed vs rpms. Have a look at the left tip where it connects to the muffler. It drove me nuts and two audi service centers were stumped till they hoisted the car and drove it!! They thought they are only fitted to the RS4s (those have a button to open the valve)

Speak to the German Noise Emissons Bureau :) There is nothing wrong with it. Its normal operation. The click noise you hear is the butterfly flap of the valve shutting. It is metal to metal contact (not rubber lip due to high temp) and you get the noise. I've seen people who did the RS4 push to open mod but to be honest not worth it. Either leave it or do what I did for a while, undo the actuator hook from the flap and use a wire to force the flap permanently open. You wont got get much out of it and once you know its normal operation then your brain will forget about the noise. It happened to me :)

update...

not the exhaust. its coming from the gear box/ clutch flywheel houseing.

mmmmm