Clicking noise

Bullys3

Reaction score
My wife drove off from me tonight and heard a click noise when she went from 1st to 2nd going about 10mph told her to come back and do it faster and nothing at all but only first to second no other gear changes and its smooth going in all gears aswell? Any ideas what this could be

I had the same and it was the engine/gearbox mounts failing.

Have you recently had any work done on your car that involved moving the engine??? i.e. cambelt change, etc...

If you have VCDS you can test the valves opening and closing on the engine mount and it makes this clicking noise too. Thats on a B6 A4 via the output tests.

Check if its the same noise.

Butterfly valve in the exhaust tips - the sound is the valve snapping shut at low rpm hence why when she went faster you couldn't hear it. To prove open the windows and gently blip the throttle in neutral when the revs drop off you will hear it click........... it drives me totally nuts especially when parking in an underground car park.

Hope this helps

Chilly

I also hear a clicking noise at around 10 - 15 km/h. In my case (I have the DSG box) it doesen't seem to be related with the gear shift. It only happens right after I start the engine and dive away, right after the doors ae locked. If I stop at a traffic light and then accelerate again, it wont click again.

Just checked the butterfly valve in the exhaust and it does my head in when its closing all the Time just googled it, it closes at low rpm for noise reasons and opens when your above 3500rpm so at low revs and over that it keeps closing that's the clicking noise, does it cause s problem if I take the actuator arm off and hold the valve open with wire?

TBH ive just not got round to it but from what i gather it needs to be held open with wire, and the vacuum actuator needs to have vac pipework disconnected & sealed off ( zip ties would probably be best). As for adverse effects i believe that there are none but use the power of search on here or google as i think its been covered loads.

Hope this helps & peace of mind its nothing expensive!

When i got it diagnosed on mine by audi under warranty they thought it was the DMF & replaced it along with the clutch only to find it was still there afterwards and it turned out just to be a butterfly valve it the exhaust that is designed to keep the car within EU noise pollution regulations apparently........ Thanks Audi :rockwoot:

Chilly

On my old s3 I removed it from the clamp and wired it open and the noise went!

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89
Just clamp the vacuum tube leading to the actuator and the valve will stay in the open position, which is what you want.
No fault codes will be flagged doing it this way, I've had mine this way for a year now.