Clearmounts magnet - rusty magnet ring?

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any problems with the magnet provided by Clearmounts? My iPhone 6s Plus has developed a circular rust ring on the rear. I had it glued to the apple leather case so it wouldnt be on my phone all the time as i like taking the phone out of the case when at home and just attach the case when in the case or out and about. The ring is very clear but hard to photograph unfortunately, photo below to show it, you can only make out a couple of lines but it goes right round and is obviously from the magnet. It wont come off with any type of cleaner, amount of rubbing etc...

Would like to know if anyone else has had any problems? Phone hasnt been anywhere near any substance that would make the magnet rust so thinking its a design defect?

@Clearmounts would like to know your opinion please....

IMG 4448

Certainly looks to have made an imprint.

Mine came with some tape a little larger than the plate which I put over the plate to prevent metal to metal contact - didn't read any instructions but presume that's what it's for.

Then for belt and braces cut up a lens cleaning cloth and also placed that between them.

Reactions: Ormesome
Certainly looks to have made an imprint.

Mine came with some tape a little larger than the plate which I put over the plate to prevent metal to metal contact - didn't read any instructions but presume that's what it's for.

Then for belt and braces cut up a lens cleaning cloth and also placed that between them.

Just to make myself understood, this is not metal to metal abrasion or contact. This is simply rust/residue/corrosion left by the magnet. If it was abrasion or friction then it would be scratch type marks which wouldn't give a clear circular mark. No tape included with mine. I think you left on the protective packaging? In fact i installed it as per the video instructions included and as advertised on their you tube channel.

Link to instructions (1min 50secs onwards)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
I think you're right I've left the plate backing material on mine to help keep it central in my case....

IMG 3791

Must be the heat ! - still trying to get my head round your install. So with no case this is using the round taped on backing plate direct to the back of the phone ?

I think you're right I've left the plate backing material on mine to help keep it central in my case....

View attachment 126632

Must be the heat ! - still trying to get my head round your install. So with no case this is using the round taped on backing plate direct to the back of the phone ?

Can heat make a reaction like this? Phone rarelly gets that hot that i would worry about it. The magnet is installed on the inside of an Apple Leather case, as per the video instructions they give in their official video and website. Its placed on the inside of the case. My magnet doesnt look exactly like yours, mine is the same as the photos below from their website.

Is your photo the inside of your case correct? have you stuck yours down or just loose? sticking it or not will make no difference though i guess as its coming from the edges of the circular magnet.

Screen Shot 2017 05 26 at 160707
Screen Shot 2017 05 26 at 160824

Last edited:
Yeah mines the same as the lower pic above but I guess the tape does kind of 'soften' the edges of the plate and hold it in place - yes pic is of the inside of my case.

So with the rectangular plate inside the case clearly the circular magnet has made an impression on your phone - the magnet has the rubber cover on too ? - I'm clueless how this could have happened to be honest I've had the apple case in the past and it's pretty solid and robust.

Yeah mines the same as the lower pic above but I guess the tape does kind of 'soften' the edges of the plate and hold it in place - yes pic is of the inside of my case.

So with the rectangular plate inside the case clearly the circular magnet has made an impression on your phone - the magnet has the rubber cover on too ? - I'm clueless how this could have happened to be honest I've had the apple case in the past and it's pretty solid and robust.

Ah i get what you mean now! im talking about the metal plate. sorry! Very badly worded by myself on reflection...should have explained myself better! So i mean the metal plate. Magnet on the actual mount is fine. Thats why i included the picture of the metal plates. Mine is installed the same way as yours in your case. Circular metal plate though, not rectangular one like yours.

No worries ;o)

Yep looks very much like the edges of the round plate have dug into the back of the phone the apple case is snug fitting .

Check the edges of the plate to see if they are smooth and deburred - if not I'd drop CM an email with pics.

Nothing worse than a rusty ring

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PanamaS3, glospete, Jassyo06 and 3 others
No worries ;o)

Yep looks very much like the edges of the round plate have dug into the back of the phone the apple case is snug fitting .

Check the edges of the plate to see if they are smooth and deburred - if not I'd drop CM an email with pics.

Yep. Plate is as delivered. all fine. Just made marks on the phone. iv tagged @Clearmounts on here so hoping they will reply but i will email them directly too.

Nothing worse than a rusty ring

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

LoL I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist :tearsofjoy:

I've just had a pint of cider and I'm no lunch time drinker so from now on anything could happen !! It may look like @jassyo06 has hacked my account :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: airbus319, Jassyo06 and Ormesome
LoL I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist :tearsofjoy:

I've just had a pint of cider and I'm no lunch time drinker so from now on anything could happen !! It may look like @jassyo06 has hacked my account :tearsofjoy:

Get in there @Rob2k68 my son..... I Ain't one for afternoon drinky poos either , but will soon be cracking open some Buds and some Corona laters lol

Reactions: Ormesome and Rob2k68
Hello All, Carl from Clearmounts here... This is the first time I have heard of this issue... I have personally been using the same metal plate on the back of my iPhone 6 with no issues at all. The metal plate is sourced from the supplier of the magnet, I do not manufacture it. I manufacture the aluminum mounting bracket that installs in your Audi. Perhaps if you have scratched the edge of the metal plate somehow and removed some of the paint off the edge and moisture got to it then I could imagine it rusting but very doubtful as it is really well painted and sealed. I will do a scratch and water test to see what happens.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Ormesome
If my understanding is correct @Ormesome has glued the metal back plate to his leather case. Therefore I suspect the corrosion "rust" is due to a reaction between the metal and glue or leather and glue or combination of all three.

If my understanding is correct @Ormesome has glued the metal back plate to his leather case. Therefore I suspect the corrosion "rust" is due to a reaction between the metal and glue or leather and glue or combination of all three.

Nope. As mentioned above in my replies, i stuck it on the case as per the instructions in the video on youtube. no extra glue or materials have been used. If it was a reaction then why has it only happened around the ring of the metal plate? no moisture has got to it, its not got hot, its not got cold. no extra glue used, taken out of the packet, protective strip taken off and stuck to the inside of the official apple leather case.

Carl from Clearmouts has gotten back to me and mentioned he is doing a water test so we will see what he discovers...

Last edited:
Hello all again... Carl here from Clearmounts! So for the past few hours I conducted a water test on the metal plates. What I did is I submerged a metal plate in water for a few hours and a second metal plate which I sanded off the paint on one edge to reveal the bare metal underneath and submerged in water... There is no rust developing at all. I will let it air dry and see if anything changes.

Nope. As mentioned above in my replies, i stuck it on the case as per the instructions in the video on youtube. no extra glue or materials have been used. If it was a reaction then why has it only happened around the ring of the metal plate? no moisture has got to it, its not got hot, its not got cold. no extra glue used, taken out of the packet, protective strip taken off and stuck to the inside of the official apple leather case.

As corrosion is on the edge its indicative of a reaction at the point something meets the air, oxidation. And as @Clearmounts states even if the plate is coated it may have been damaged "scratched" either in use or in manufacture (worn stamping tool) exposing a bare metal edge - iron

it also needs some moisture which could come form the leather case or from the leather case getting something spilt on it

Iron oxidises in presence of oxygen and moisture to give Iron Oxide which is rust

this whole rusting process could take weeks or even months to take place

Reactions: azibux1, Rob2k68 and Ormesome
As corrosion is on the edge its indicative of a reaction at the point something meets the air, oxidation. And as @Clearmounts states even if the plate is coated it may have been damaged "scratched" either in use or in manufacture (worn stamping tool) exposing a bare metal edge - iron

it also needs some moisture which could come form the leather case or from the leather case getting something spilt on it

Iron oxidises in presence of oxygen and moisture to give Iron Oxide which is rust

this whole rusting process could take weeks or even months to take place

Well its been fitted since around December time when i got it. How long have Clearmouts been around & sending out these magnets & plates?If they are relatively new then could this be a ticking time bomb due to a certain batch default? Not sure how the plate's prtective seal/paint would be scratched when in use, its in a static position, doesnt move. Iv checked how i re-position the phone after taking it out and it doesnt catch on it, even if it did then it would mark the phone at other angles. My phone is as new. This is a clear circle, its not a scratch and it contours the metal plate perfectly. There has been nothing spilt on the case or phone so im unsure how moisture would get in there, although i understand your point about corrosion etc...

The metal plates have been on the market for many, many years. No issues... even after my water test and let air dry there is zero sign of corrosion. There must be another cause for the rust ring on his phone...

Reactions: Philip Davies
even after my water test and let air dry there is zero sign of corrosion. There must be another cause for the rust ring on his phone...

I would prefer you tested this extensively before making this assumption, you only emailed me 4hrs ago which i seriously doubt recreated 6months use...

I am still testing... not to worry. It is sitting on my desk. I am here to help and make sure all is good.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Ormesome
Can you submit pictures of the metal plate? We only have a picture of your phone... I think seeing the condition of the metal plate would help resolve this issue.

Can you submit pictures of the metal plate? We only have a picture of your phone... I think seeing the condition of the metal plate would help resolve this issue.

As mentioned in the email i sent to you, im not with my car at the moment, when im home later this weekend ill take some photos and post them here.

I've had the plate attached to the inside of a Spigen case enclosing my iPhone 6 for around 7 months. No sign of any rust or other damage to the rear of my iPhone.

Mine is also a spigen case.

Could it be the leather apple case either 'sweating' or being more flexible allowing some movement between the case and phone ?

Reactions: Ormesome and Daveotto
Dye from the leather case?

Blue leather case so if it was this i would have thought the marks would be blue, but they are rust coloured.

Mine is also a spigen case.

Could it be the leather apple case either 'sweating' or being more flexible allowing some movement between the case and phone ?

Could be, but i have since got small marks off (around 15% of marks in total) and it shows no scratches or wear where the marks were. The bigger circular marks are not coming off. im going for it being a faulty metal plate or damaged in transit which has become rusty and left marks on my phone. will post pictures of the metal plate tomoro but cant say i noticed much when i looked before.

I have just got back home and taken the metal plate off the interior of my Apple Leather case. Its quite clear that the protective black paint/coating around the edge of the metal plate has come off and created corrosion and marked the back of my iphone. The metal plate has not been moved since taking delivery, it was taken from the protective wrapping, stuck straight on. The metal plate has NOT been in contact with any water, no scratching has been made. The iphone doesnt make contact with the metal plate when removing or replacing the phone and even if it did then there would be marks on the iphone. This to me seems like a defect of the product and i would be wary about using one again (metal plate). I would advice anyone who has one of these to instantly check their metal plates. The defect on the plate wasnt visable until i took it off the case so there could be more defects out there. Also, just to be safe, I would apply a protective cover/coating between the phone and the metal plate.

Just to be clear, I am not complaining about the magnet itself, design or quality. I would still buy the Clearmount again if i needed as it is a quality product.

IMG 4456
IMG 4454
IMG 4455
IMG 4457

Last edited:
I apologise in advance for the juvenile nature of my comment...

However when I have a rusty ring I find wet wipes and a good scrub helps!

Reactions: Daveotto, Rob2k68 and Ormesome
I'm sorry I don't quite understand...

The first two pics are showing the "front" ruined part of the plate... And the second two are the back with the sticky pad which was used to stick it to the phone case?

If so I don't see how you couldn't see the rusted damaged part all this time as surely it is clearly visible when you remove the case and look at the plate?

I'm missing something obviously here lol

The first two pics are showing the "front" ruined part of the plate... And the second two are the back with the sticky pad which was used to stick it to the phone case?

Correct. Well done! The rusty part isnt overly visible when it is stuck in the case but as soon as i started to see this reaction happening on my phone, i removed it and posted here. I dont know about you but i dont inspect my phone case and the metal plate everytime i take out my phone from the case. Sometimes it stays in there for weeks which is very normal. I dont really understand what you are missing/not understanding?

Correct. Well done! The rusty part isnt overly visible when it is stuck in the case but as soon as i started to see this reaction happening on my phone, i removed it and posted here. I dont know about you but i dont inspect my phone case and the metal plate everytime i take out my phone from the case. Sometimes it stays in there for weeks which is very normal.
Ah right!

Hopefully get the mark off the phone somehow.

Potentially risky so see what you think of course and what others say... But I'd consider trying something slightly abrasive like autoglym srp on it lol

Ah right!

Hopefully get the mark off the phone somehow.

Potentially risky so see what you think of course and what others say... But I'd consider trying something slightly abrasive like autoglym srp on it lol

It wont come off at all. Some small parts have but the marks shown in the photo in my 1st post seem to be permanent. Hard to photograph though. If it has happened to me then it could happen to others. If i had one of the plates i would be wanting answers before trusting it or using it without some sort of protector between the plate and phone.

Reactions: azibux1
Have you sent the same complaint to Apple or whoever you bought your case from as I am convinced moisture/liquid/dye from the leather case is what is reacting with the bare metal.

and how certain are you nothing has been spilt on your case or that it has not got damp when using your phone on a wet day etc. etc.

btw..I have had my Clearmount back plate sitting in my Rock case for 7-8 months with no sign of damage/rust

reacting with the bare metal

but why is it bare metal? it was taken from protective wrapping and stuck on inside of case. considering that most have not had trouble then it seems more likely that is a defective metal plate. I have never had any trouble from apple cases. 100% sure nothing has been spilt on the case. Even if it had, how did it get through the natural water proof capabilities of the leather case to the inside? it would have had to be soaking.

Hello All, Carl here from Clearmounts. It is my goal to provide my customers with a well built product and great customer service, I want every Clearmounts user to be happy and satisfied with their product.

but why is it bare metal? it was taken from protective wrapping and stuck on inside of case. considering that most have not had trouble then it seems more likely that is a defective metal plate. I have never had any trouble from apple cases. 100% sure nothing has been spilt on the case. Even if it had, how did it get through the natural water proof capabilities of the leather case to the inside? it would have had to be soaking.

Read my post above!!!!!! damage to the edge may be from a worn stamping tool, not sure if Clearmount declare they provide a "coated" plate so not sure you can state its faulty.

Secondly, the waterproof properties of leather will ensure any water that does get to the inside of the case does not drain away and there lies your root cause for the rust/corrosion damage..trapped water reacting with a small area of bare metal

Like almost all of these minor complaints you need several things to line up and you have been unfortunate, that said no manufacturer can ensure for every eventuality

At least the damage is minor, does not affect functionality and from what you say 90%+ of the time is totally invisible as you use the phone with the case on

To get rid of the rust ring, try using some fallout remover from car product companies such as IronX, don't use too much just a drop or so leave then let it react and wipe off.
QC of these magnet holders and plates are well...............
I never have them touching my phone rather have them stuck to my case, even with that I have now moved on and use these leatherette wrapped steel plates.
IMG 3581

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68