Cleaning Throttle Body

G60DAN

Reaction score
Hello all

Looking for some help need to clean my throttle body am I ok to use brake cleaner on it. Will I need to reset it with vagcom after I've put it back on.

Thanks for your help

Daniel

I did this recently, really not a bad job. I used carb cleaner but I would guess brake cleaner would be ok, it evaporates and doesn't leave any residue.
What engine code do you have? Is it cable or fly-by-wire throttle. Mine was the latter and once re-assembled I just turned the ignition on and left it for a couple of minutes. You could hear the throttle re-adjusting itself.

This is all from memory so apologies if anything is incorrect (don't think it is) There is information on here about it so try doing a search.

Thanks foe the reply I have a AMK fly by wire it looks like an easy job just didn't know if it needed resetting

You can reset it with vcds, but it will sort itself out in a few miles, I done mine in situ and had a helper pressing on the accelerator to open the butterfly so I could clean where it seats.Lots of cotton buds and some paper towel and I think I used brake cleaner, one of those cans from the pound shop.

As Rupe said get a helper to press the accelerator so you can clean the throttle plate properly.

Don't try and force drive by wire ones open by hand, they are easily damaged.

Thanks for all the help it's been off cleaned and put back on no EML happy days.