Cleaning The TB!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Just a quickie, going to clean my TB either tomorrow or saturday but i cant find a recent guide covering it in detail, anyone have a link or any advice! I dont have VAG COM so ill need to disconnect the battery then to reconnect it to aloow it to adjust! Bt there anything else, can i move the the TB valve or is that a no no.

Throttle body?.

I did mine not long ago just by spraying a load of intake cleaner into it. I just took the hose off it and sprayed it in, catching the filthy black fluid that poured back out with a rag.

Took about 5 minutes.

Just a quickie, going to clean my TB either tomorrow or saturday but i cant find a recent guide covering it in detail, anyone have a link or any advice! I dont have VAG COM so ill need to disconnect the battery then to reconnect it to aloow it to adjust! Bt there anything else, can i move the the TB valve or is that a no no.

Hey Dan i used this,

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/127279/857711.aspx#857711

Found it easy, mine was really dirty, i idid not have vag com just left the battery off then reconnected etc, make sure you have radio code though, hope it helps,

This was the first thing I done when I got my S3. It really simple, take you 15 min to take the unit off. I recommend you take the whole unit off as the front of the valve wasn't to bad, but behind the valve was covered black. This is the process I when through when I did mine, if I can remember.

Remove the negative terminal of the battery.
Unscrew the jubilee clip to remove the intake hoses.
Unclip the electrical plug connected to the TB.
Unclip the thin hoses connected to the top of the TB.
Unscrew 4 allen key bolts on the TB, think they are 5mm.
Remove TB and blast it down with Carb Cleaner or Intake Cleaner.
I used cotton buds and tissue paper to get the stubborn bit off and around the valve as mine doesnt move.
Dry it.
Connect it back up the same way you removed it.
Connect negative terminal back.
Turn the ignition on and leave it on for about 30 seconds ( you may hear the TB making a ticking noise for few seconds ).
Turn the car on and off you go.

Thanks oski, thats what i was looking for.

Be gentle with it and don't force the butterfly valve open too much as you may feck the mechanism, also hold the TB down so that the carb cleaner doesn't go into the electrical; oh and when you take the TB off careful not to rip the paper seal

I used petrol to clean my old TB, takes the carbon build up off a treat. Dont know what the S3's TB is like but the egr valve caused a right mess on the polo. It was swiftly removed.

Lots of good advice there :applaus:

The guide was good, but like nattie says, different to the guide, remove the jubilee and hose before you undo the 4 allen keys - makes it a bit easier to get off.

Ok all done now :thumbsup:, tok some pics to show you just how bad my TB was, took me over 20 mins with a toothbrush, brake cleaner and wd40, was unreal how bad the deposite's were, well worth it though :)

Yeah defo and seems to have cured my crap idle at first start up and over reving between gears.

Good work Dani. My car had really bad idle on morning starts and also had a misfire between 2 - 3k rpm. Cleaned the TB and it cured theses faults and run smoother and throttle response was bit better to. Doesnt take to long to do and you can see the benefits of doing it to.

MAF sensor is another quick and easy thing to clean to.

Ok so it hasnt cured my over revving between gears so new clutch switch, great.

Yeah already done that mate.

Went to clean mine today, but when I took it off the car I found it to be extremely clean - which I found weird, because I actually requested that it was done at my last service (it wasn't) as the car has now covered 60k+ miles.

Anyway, what I did notice is that there was a fair bit of oil in it and the hose (more than just a light film) and there seemed to be a slight smell of fuel as well.....

.......is this normal? :shrug:

Oil yes, the pcv valve dumps oil into the intake and the turbo then sends it through the boost pipes etc, mine are covered thats why im fitting an oil catch tank (when the ****** parts finaly come)

Looks like a nice neat install toxic :icon_thumright:, you noticed any difference with it fitted?

just cleaned my tb after reading this thread, and i was surprised that mine was clean but quite oily. dont mean to sound stupid, but what are the benefits of fitting an oil catch tank??

To stop catch oil that the engine dumps into the intake pipe, causing loss of boost, oil filled IC's, oil filled pipes etc, just alot better for the engine.

Not noticed any difference really. suppose the main thing is protecting the pipework from oily cloging up the air inlet, fmic and inlet manifold really.

Oil yes, the pcv valve dumps oil into the intake and the turbo then sends it through the boost pipes etc, mine are covered thats why im fitting an oil catch tank (when the ****** parts finaly come)

I'd be interested in fitting one of these - are they expensive?

Is this an Audi part or aftermarket part? If it's Audi, have you got the part number? If aftermarket, you got a link to where I could buy one?

Cheers.

Aftermarket mate, nar their only abought 30quid. I havent at the moment as im on my mobile, theres loads on ebay though.

lol not 30 quid for the one I have :) this is one of the best out there. most fleebay catch cans have nothing in side of them just an inlet and outlet. this will not allow Oil vapour to condense and then run to the bottom of the tank.

an Explanation of the one I am using is here:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

more info here as well: http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm

RobDons Mk1 Leon uses Dual Saikoumitchi tanks shown here.

dual1.jpg

dual2.jpg

Last edited: