Cleaning microfibres towels

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Just a quick one.
What do you guys use to clean your mf towel?
I normally bung them in the washing machine with just normal detergent but I think this is killing them.
My drying towel is a couple of years old now and it’s takes a bit of work before it starts absorbing. Difficult to describe. It’s like it needs to be soaking before it starts absorbing. Sometimes I wring it out with water then it’s brilliant otherwise it doesn’t absorb and just pushes the water around.

Washing machine, little powder, no softener, then tumble dry for me
I also rinse the drawer on washer first to get rid of any fabric softener

Reactions: Bulldog, AlS3BE and Swanny356
Yes - Apparently it’s the conditioner / softener that ruins them. Never use it.

Reactions: AlS3BE and CHEZ
Just regular Ariel original. At 30 degrees F. No need for a dedicated microfibre wash liquid - waste of money IMO.

Then very COOL tumble if you have a tumble dryer. MF melting point is pretty low, so you don’t want to dry with heat.

I just give ‘em a good shake after washing to fluff up the fibres and air dry, inside (too much pollen and other dust to settle on ‘em if you hang them on the washing line outside).

Then back in a sealed ‘Really Useful Box’ in the garage ready for their next outing.

Very sad and anal I know, but that’s my regime...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant1998, AlS3BE and NevMan
non-bio, no softener, regular cotton wash

Reactions: AlS3BE
Any non bio liquid - stay away from powders as more chance of it not all rinsing out and getting stuck in the fibres. No conditioner, but put in some white vinegar instead, this fluffs the fibres up. I do put mine in the dryer, but on a low heat. If the cloths are really soiled, I first pre treat them with an APC and non bio and pre soak them in a bucket overnight before doing the above.

Hope that helps, never used a dedicated microfibre wash, so cannot comment on it being better than a bog standard non bio liquid. But my cloths cme out perfect all the time this way, just get the non bio liquid thats the cheapest or on offer in the supermarket at the time. I have gone through them all and wouldnt say any one is better than the other.

There is microfibre cloths that are from Halfords or Costco and there are premium and plush microfibre cloths the likes of the rag company and detailing suppliers. The cheap looped style ones are durable and cheap and you czna wash they as you like as long as it is with other microfibres and items that do not lint. They will melt in a hot drier slightly (where they no longer fold edge to age without puckering this is why). But if you have more premium cloths you don't want to scratch or bin you might want to take better care of them. If they are fouled with anything that is hydrophobic you best either bin them or soak them immediately in some APC to try and dissolve the sealant. When it comes to washing you can use any non-bio, bit make sure you rinse well. You shouldn't smell detergent when they are clean. For my premium cloths I use woolite and a bit of white vinegar, with extra rinse cycle and they come up beautifully, and always tumble on low, as I cannot be bothered with line drying things. Do this and clothes should last very well.

Sounds like vinegar might be the missing ingredient in my wash. Will give it a try next time.
How much are you guys putting in? 10-20mm 1-2 litres?

Reactions: NevMan
I normally half fill the conditioner drawer with white vinegar for a big load

You should wash your house towels the same way to keep them fluffy. :)

You should wash your house towels the same way to keep them fluffy. :)

don’t have that issue with house towels. Used to use bicarbonate of soda in the wash cycle with the kid bath towels as they got hard after a wash/tumble dry. Soda supposedly gets the residual chemicals out the fibres so when dry they don’t go hard. Just didn’t work on my mf towels.