Cleaning exhausts, best product/process?

razza1

Reaction score
Website
www.maidenhead-systema.co.uk
HI, the miltek's seen better days, what's the easiest way to clean it back up? I've got metal polish but after giving it a blast, there's still loads of black deposits on it.

Should I take a scourer pad to it? Or will this end up scratching it?

Use steel wool, buy both types. Mix a little dab of metal polish paste onto the wool and plenty of elbow power.. I will be doilng my full system soon.. Once you have borken down the black spots you can just use metal polish and a cloth to work on the shine..

sorry, what do you mean by both types?

Fine grade 00 Is for finish (use 2nd)
Grade1 is for preparation (use 1st).
Grade3 is for rust removal/ very coarse..

both types of wire wool he meant. You get different grades. Go for a heavy/medium and fine. Work your way up, I think heavy may be overkill start with a medium with some metal polish.

dont know about you guys but the tips on my last two cars have hardly changed with any grade of wire wool, autosol or indeed the Britemax twins

Ive ended up using a wire drill bit (sometimes a grinding bit!), then reducing the grades and finishing off with a wool bit used in conjunction with autosol - worrying as you scratch the crap out of the metal, but its soft enough get polished back up and far more effortless than wire wooling your life away

just what works for me, i assume i'll get shot to **** now :)

Autosol is actually the best ive come across. Will get anything out.. well maybe not anything.

I need to do mine this weekend so i hope i dont eat my own words! haha

autosol worked (found some in the garage) with some wire wool, followed my meguirs metal polish, was a bit late when I got started so hopefully in daylight it will look good :) the insides need something harsh to get clean though

IMAG0275.jpg

Autosol, a rough polishing cloth and elbow grease. Mine came up like new.

autosol worked (found some in the garage) with some wire wool, followed my meguirs metal polish, was a bit late when I got started so hopefully in daylight it will look good :) the insides need something harsh to get clean though

IMAG0275.jpg
some serious swirling in that paint mate lol(thats the detailer in me lol)

looking good mate, Autosol is tip top when it comes to metal. how bad were the exhausts in the first place, wouldnt of thought a milltek on an 07 would be that bad. should be able to come up a treat inside and out:thumbsup:

I know, its not great all over to be honest, the tip edges of the exhausts were quite bad, the rest came up really easily, not much elbow needed to be honest

The inside seems very caked in stuff, was late though and was tired, so couldn't be bothered to try any more, will try again later this week on the inside.

What's a rough cost of detailing to get rid of swirl marks (over the whole car...)?