Cleaning exhaust pipes, getting them back to their original colour

thomasedwards

I’m trying to clean off the rubbish on my exhaust pipes, but it won’t budge. I’ve tried using T-Cut Metal Polish, but it won’t shift all of it, just a couple of easy bits.

Any suggestions?

exhaust.jpg

Cozza McA

Crunching The Gears
Wire wool looks like the best thing for those pipes.
Just work down the grade of roughness

Metal polish and 00 grade wire wool. If that doesn't shift it then move up a grade then back down. It will take a lot of elbow grease, so be prepared for arm ache. You can get drill attachments but I've never gone down that route.

Steve220

Autosol with wire wool. Works every time.

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Autosol with wire wool. Works every time.

+1. I did this last year, it took a little while but they are like mirrors now. All I do is give them a quick once over every now and then to keep them looking that way.

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
6 months on, and mine still look like this with a quick wipe every time I clean my car.

bf6ef5ca6eee72e7b3ecb276d0e84385_zps098480ec.jpg

JimC64

6 months on, and mine still look like this with a quick wipe every time I clean my car.

bf6ef5ca6eee72e7b3ecb276d0e84385_zps098480ec.jpg

A Huge +1 from me on the 0000 wire wool and Autosol polish.....a little hard work and you will prevail.

Personally, I include them ALWAYS as part of my wash routine, it only adds a few seconds and soooo worth it.
Mine are nothing special, just standard but still look like new after 6 years and 102k miles, as below

Sorry, no close up pics

Last edited: