Cleaning DPF

Sp3no82

Reaction score
My A4 B7 Avant 2.0tdi 170 has been suffering numerous issues recently including flashing glow plug light, leaking exhaust manifold gasket and blocked DPF.
Well I hit it hard this weekend and the Turbo is off the car along with the Exhaust manifold and DPF.
I want to clean the DPF but how do I do this off the car, I was thinking of buying some DPF fuel additive and pouring it in neat and shake it around and let it soak then jet wash it out? Any better ideas?

Another method to get rid of the dpf problems is to gut it out.
I would recommend to cut it open on the seam, empty it out and weld it back on nicely so it looks still intact.
If you have a friendly MOT garage, you shouldn’t have any problems with passing it.

If not, your method is good, imho.
Just make sure you use high pressure washer to rinse it all out first, before any chemicals use and jet all the sh... out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS4B5
I am assuming it's been caused by the faulty Air Flow Meter which I'm also changing. I think it may have been causing it to run rich?

Anything causing a richer mixture will cause dpf death , thermostat , boost leak , leaking injectors etc .

Very important to find out or it's back to blocked .

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Hoping that fixing the exhaust manifold gasket and fitting a new Air Flow sensor will fix the issue. How do you spot leaky injectors?

Is it a bad idea to hit the inside of the DPF with a blow torch to burn off the soot and ash? The DPF cleaner seemed to just get soaked into the filter and practically nothing came back out so I tried to blow it through with a pressure washer but again the water hardly passed through. So I then used a blow torch to heat it up and dry it out but the cleaner I put in turned out to be flammable so it just ignited inside lol.
I tried to wash it out again with water and have left it to dry overnight. Not quite the result I was expecting!!

There are companies you can send the dpf to and they will clean it almost like new and return it google them plenty about

You can buy proper dpf cleaner fluid, you block one end and fill it with the fluid, then leave it over night, then give it a good shake and tip it out, google it to find out where to buy it, there are a few videos on YouTube.

There is a dpf cleaning firm called soniclear that is always going to the garage by my office