Cleaning chrome window trim

jak kez 187

Reaction score
I’ve noticed some small white marks on the chrome window trim on my driver side door. Not sure what they are but they don’t shift when I rub my nail against them.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to try to clean/remove them? Really don’t want to use the wrong product and end up damaging them!

Have tried to photograph it as best I could.

Attachments

• 94B2C84D-18C5-4689-8E8D-F7C659E11337.jpeg
    94B2C84D-18C5-4689-8E8D-F7C659E11337.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 734
I’ve noticed some small white marks on the chrome window trim on my driver side door. Not sure what they are but they don’t shift when I rub my nail against them.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to try to clean/remove them? Really don’t want to use the wrong product and end up damaging them!

Have tried to photograph it as best I could.
If the chrome has not been removed....???
Try some Bilt Hamber Korrosol......spray it on to a Sponge and pat it on to the chrome....give a bit of time to dwell....10 mins out of the sunlight

If the chrome has not been removed....???
Try some Bilt Hamber Korrosol......spray it on to a Sponge and pat it on to the chrome....give a bit of time to dwell....10 mins out of the sunlight

I don’t think the chrome has been removed...well I really hope it hasn’t haha!

Have heard that this can happen to the chrome when people take their cars to the local £3 wash and scratch places and they throw all sorts of acid on the vehicle. Unfortunately I don’t know how the previous owner “washed” the car so can’t pinpoint what it actually is.

TFR damage, probably need replacing unfortunately.

I have similar marks on my A4 S Line (B9) and now, seeing yours, I wonder if there's a manufacturing fault?

I’ve spent the morning doing as much research as possible about this and unfortunately it appears the damage is permanent. Can be caused by strong traffic film removers used at cheap car washes.

People have said they managed to get the chrome trims changed under Audi warranty with a bit of persuasion. Unfortunately my warranty is with autoguard and doesn’t cover bodywork or trim so I’m stuck.

May try see how much it would be to have it replaced at my local Audi but I’ve also read it costs a fair bit!

A lot of people have suggested having it wrapped but I want to keep it chrome so don’t think that’s an option for me.

After a bit more searching I’ve come across this relatively new product. Seems to have been designed entirely to sort the problem many are having. Unfortunately there’s not many reviews for it so not too sure if it will be any good, but for £19 it could be worth a go.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...er-chrome-door-trim-roof-bar-restorer-polish/

Some people have reported success with WD40 so I may try that first.

Always found autosol does the biz, but previous chaps are probably right....crap wheel acid or tfr from the sandwash guys. However, Im pretty sure that the chrome trims are made of plastic chrome covered in clear plastic and if any water etc gets inbetween these layers it corrodes

I’ve spent the morning doing as much research as possible about this and unfortunately it appears the damage is permanent. Can be caused by strong traffic film removers used at cheap car washes.

People have said they managed to get the chrome trims changed under Audi warranty with a bit of persuasion. Unfortunately my warranty is with autoguard and doesn’t cover bodywork or trim so I’m stuck.

May try see how much it would be to have it replaced at my local Audi but I’ve also read it costs a fair bit!

A lot of people have suggested having it wrapped but I want to keep it chrome so don’t think that’s an option for me.
I have a b7 so a older car and this is a very common problem i like many have had it all wrapped as you can clean it up a bit but it comes back very quick you could have it wrapped chrome so it looks standard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk