cleaning and restoring alcantara upholstery.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
as in the title really chaps, need advice on the process of cleaning and restoring alcantara upholstery ...seat for the most part..
stain and dirt removal and then some bobbling ..any advice would be good..
rob

Cleaning read this https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=307335

For the bobbling you need one of these.....personally tried and tested years ago!

f25c277e1999f29f013bc6ea90670d0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used a razor on my type r seats before, that worked a treat too Rob

thanks for the help chaps, so even pretty mucky and tired alcantara can be revived then, what about oil based stains, easy to deal with or possibly more problematic.

There are some alcantara cleaners available. Not all work as advertised, but if you need just clean basic stains most of them work well.

I've got s-line half-leather seats to my A3 with perforated alcantara two month ago. The right seat was very filthy. It looked like someone used a passenger seat as a table. I used Gliptone Gentle Cleaner and cleaned most of the spots, but one 4 cm spot right in the middle that looked like someone spilled mayonnaise or ice cream remained, just faded a little. The spot felt (still feels) firmer as if the thing soaked through the alcantara and dried. I bought then Sonax upholstery & alcantara cleaner. It's foam. Used it ones. It has helped, though not 100%. Sonax suggests to use it a few times if the first one wasn't fully successful. I have to try again. But if anyone knows a way to get rid off something unknown that sits fast inside the alcantara, I would love to hear it too.

Someone looking at buying those s4 recaros off eBay by any chance?

nope, saw them but they need way too much work to be a worth while option, that hole is bad and the area around it is almost through, I've seen a set of seats on gumtree in black and gray but need a good clean....not sure its worth the hassle to be honest unless they clean up properly.

Yeah I thought the same. Know the guy and he will take £300 but even then they are knackered.

Chuck a link up rob let's see the state of them.

Yeah I thought the same. Know the guy and he will take £300 but even then they are knackered.

shame really as they would be nice seats but that hole is not an easy fix and the area around it is almost worn through, needs a prof repair as a whole new seat section there would be the only real answer , also a big mark on the rear backrest that needs sorting out properly and then all the cleaning......even at £300 that's way to much ...have you seen them in the flesh then dani..

Only pictures mate. That's why I didn't buy them. Yes there £300 but they'd need another £300 if not more to get upto a decent standard. Shame really as I like the colour.

Leather and alcantara sets for the b7 are like hens teeth. Saw the first set the other day that were heated and folding rear but they were on the other side of Scotland and over £600 or I'd have had them. First set I've seen in 18 months.

also not sure about the air bag situation with them as they are B6, and my B7's currently have side airbags .

The ones you looking at are from a B6 then?

so far dani I've found only sets from B6's and i'm not sure that's really the best route given the side airbags my old bus uses at present, I could just stick a resistor in the air bag plug , but not really ideal, B7's is my preferred route, there is an Rs4 B7 complete interior on flebay at the moment with the non wingback recaro's which is nice , but at £1k its abit steep for me to be honest.

The b6 has side airbags in the seat like the b7. I found the best alacantara cleaner is Raceglaze's one.