Clay Mitt

encee

Reaction score
If anyone is thinking of defecting from a bar, to a Mitt, then all I can say is....GO AHEAD !

I used one for the first time yesterday - a Ferecla one bought from Halfords, and I honestly cannot speak highly enough of it.

Compared to a bar (I`ve used a couple of varieties over the years, Bilt Hamber, Meguiars and Autoglym), I found it much, much easier to use, and also more accurate, as I really felt I was able to cover every inch of the parts that I needed to...

A bar is much easier to drop, as well - I`m sure we`ve all been there - whereas the mitt is lots more secure, because you`re wearing the thing, obviously !

Just thought I`d post this for anyone that`s only used bars before, and was wondering what the mitt was like. :yes:

Reactions: batch, sidibear and Cambaines
I tried a clay bar once and it put me off as it stuck all over the place, user error lol.
My paint is rougher than a rough thing, looks smooth and shiny but lightly slide your finger across it and you can feel and hear how rough it is.
I will get one of these, keep it lubed up and give it a go.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I tried a clay bar once and it put me off as it stuck all over the place, user error lol.
My paint is rougher than a rough thing, looks smooth and shiny but lightly slide your finger across it and you can feel and hear how rough it is.
I will get one of these, keep it lubed up and give it a go.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Indeed mate; seriously, the clay mitt is the answer to your prayers then.
I washed my car first, then just left it wet, whilst also using the Farecla quick detailer that I`d bought along with the mitt.

This combination worked perfectly for me, and kept the car nice and lubed, even though the sun was absolutely beaming down yesterday - unlike today LOL !

If you don`t use clay at all, in any form, all you`ll ever do is apply polish, or wax, over the top of any crap that`s welded to your paint and cannot be removed by washing alone, but if you use a mitt, it makes it very, very easy - and quick - to achieve the smooth finish that you need.

Good luck.

Clay Mitts are the best thing ever, wouldn't go back to using a clay bar if you paid me.

Just remember to keep it well lubed. :whistle2:

JG

Reactions: batch
I dont bother with a lube as such.
Just wash the car in the usual way to get rid of the dirt, rinse then use a fresh bucket of VERY soapy warm water and `wash the car again with the clay-mitt.
Job done.

Reactions: batch and sidibear
Saw this mitt in Halfords today and was so close to buying it. Would you recommend claying if I have had Gardx applied? Saw a post about GardX and it being a scam but I've only had the car since thursday and saw them applying the Gardx so know its been done.

When people say its a scam, they probably don't mean that its not been done...just that it is woefully overpriced.
Its just a polish and will be removed or at least diminished by using the clay mitt.
That said, the clay mitt is a fab piece of kit.

I got it free because i asked if they did military discount :rock: I got the pack as well so will just keep applying it when i wash it. Will give the Mitt a go as well, a list for Pay day is accumulating lol

When people say its a scam, they probably don't mean that its not been done...just that it is woefully overpriced.
Its just a polish and will be removed or at least diminished by using the clay mitt.
That said, the clay mitt is a fab piece of kit.

Finally got around to using it and oh my holy god what an amazing difference. Did a panel at a time with Juicy lube (got it with a clay bar ages ago, still stuck the bar to the paint lol). This time though it flew over the paint like a flying over paint thing, you can feel the difference as you start to use it, a bit grippy / clingy then all of a sudden just it slides across the paint with zero friction.
Quick spray / coat with Future Armour and it looks like brand new paint, and super smooth.

Get one, use it, easy enough for me to use so you lot should have no trouble.

Huge thanks to encee for the heads up.

Been using the Halfords clay mitt for over a year and can only echo what's been said already. What a difference it makes to the paint work, never used a clay bar before and never plan to now. With a white S3 on order it will come in useful!!