Clay bar

PeteA7S/Back

Reaction score
Right then people I clay barred the a7 yesterday with amazing results and the crap that came off even after I'd cleaned it was astonishing. Going to do the wifes a4 but I used all my auto finesse bar. My question is I've seen loads of different bars for sale and I'm going to try one of the bilt hamber bars as I love their stuff. Has anyone used the cheaper blue clay bars. Are they cheap for a reason or do exactly the same job?

Right then people I clay barred the a7 yesterday with amazing results and the **** that came off even after I'd cleaned it was astonishing. Going to do the wifes a4 but I used all my auto finesse bar. My question is I've seen loads of different bars for sale and I'm going to try one of the bilt hamber bars as I love their stuff. Has anyone used the cheaper blue clay bars. Are they cheap for a reason or do exactly the same job?
Are you polishing after using clay? Chances are you'll be putting marks in the paint.
As for clay bars, I don't think any are better than any other from the few I've used (auto finesse, chemical guys, bilt hamber)

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I'm am polishing after yes. But just looking online and there's the usual named brand stuff which let's face it is all the same stuff relabelled but then there's the blue ones that are cheaper and often a few in a pack for the same price as named stuff. Not that I'll be using it every time obviously but on a big car like and a7 you can easily.eat through a bar and just wondered if they are worth a go.

Not used the ones you mentioned but can't fault AMDetails clay bar, can just use water as opposed to pricey "clay lube"

I'd be surprised if the clay bar is fully spent, unles you didn't chemical decon first. I've done my S5 twice and parents A6 twice with one and only now is it a point where it's pretty much spent.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Are the clay bar mits/ pads any good or is best sticking with the the clay bar

I've clayed with the blue unbranded bars and a bilthammer bar.

Imo the results were identical, if anything I preferred the blue bars as they seemed to require less work to remove contaminants

Your cars paint must have been mightily filthy to be surprised by the amount of guff that's come off the paint with clay,l find using Korrosol and a tar remover to be just as effective if not more effective as it l doesnt mar the paint and its less work intensive....Korrosol/tar remover/machine polish....that's my way do it twice a year...**** rubbing a bit of clay all the way round the car...

Reactions: AlS3BE
Your cars paint must have been mightily filthy to be surprised by the amount of guff that's come off the paint with clay,l find using Korrosol and a tar remover to be just as effective if not more effective as it l doesnt mar the paint and its less work intensive....Korrosol/tar remover/machine polish....that's my way do it twice a year...**** rubbing a bit of clay all the way round the car...

My weapon of choice is carpro trix. It’s an iron and tar remover in one. Less work than using 2. not as powerful as a stand alone products but for me it does the job as I generally don’t let my car get filthy.

That's the key isn't it?
Not to let your car get minging.
I only clay twice a year, 3k miles between last, and the only noticeable deposits this time were at back of front wings (brake dust) and rear bumper (exhaust deposits).
Keep on top of it and you shouldn't really be removing bonded on contaminates, well not much anyway, unless you park under trees or in industrial estates etc.

Heard someone mentioning they use plumbers mate as clay
Never tried it myself. Sounds a bit random?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

can't take anyone serious who does a paint demo in a dark garage... what a tool

claying can/will leave marring to the paintwork, so its best to polish after, yeah.
although have clayed then straight waxed it in the past.

dont skip the wax though, claying removes all protection.

I use g tecniq C2 as a finish/sealant, rather than a specific wax, which I was about to do today, however stopped as I saw an amount of contaminant attached to the body work.

Would you suggest a wash between clay and polish?