Class of 63 - got the hang of things?

A3sportbackMark

Reaction score
Thought I'd set up a thread for all the new car owners to see how you are getting on with all the new gadgets. And maybe the old hands can put us right with their experience.

I had a strange experience this morning when parking my new car, there were 2 issues, one of which I can't explain.

Firstly as I parked on a slight uphill incline, switched off engine ready to get out of the car, it rolled back 2 yards before I stopped it with foot brake! I have HHA which has been working as beautifully. How could this happen?

secondly, as I parked the car again with brake on, tried to reverse, hand break wouldn't release........mmmm. Restarted car, no joy....Mmm, put seatbelt back on, no joy. After 2 mins of "what the hell is going on" and ready to just leave, found the door was slightly ajar....that was the issue! ....to my great relief, I do remember reading this on a previous post, whoever it was, thanks.

The joys of a new car, other than that the car is simply fantastic.

Reactions: Little Red Monster, TDI-line, First Ever Audi and 1 other person
​Good thread Mark. Think we will need to be setting up a faqs thread where we can put all the info together and keep it posted at the top of this section. What do you guys think? :) x

Reactions: coolguy
I've stalled quite a few times now! Still getting used to that at least...

As for gadgets I think I've got them all down, HHA is brilliant (had some 'why isn't this releasing' moments at the airfield yesterday only to remember it won't release when I don't have my seatbelt on, ha!), ACC is brilliant, Lane assist is a bit quirky, seems to not do much sometimes, even though the icon is green. Might be something wrong with it - anyone else had this?

is the handbrake working all okay now? did u manually put handbrake on before rolling down the hill?

Cemerson's experience sounds familiar. Very impressed by ACC on winding up and down road it still tracks the vehicle in front and isn't too scary at braking.

Lane assist is quirky. Had to override it this morning to pass a cyclist. Impressed that it at least thinks it can see a curb without any paint.

Posting this through the WiFi hotspot of connect. Just about to try the android app :)

Oh I've stalled a few times following a stop/start. Think you need to give it a second to get going, but that limits its usefulness.

Reactions: Firsttimer
I've only stalled it once, and was impressed at how it auto-started itself again the second i stuck the clutch in!

The main bugs I've encountered are around plugging my iPhone 4S into the MMI interface. When using Spotify, I've had instances where the MMI gives up, and tells me that my device is incompatible. The only way I've been able to rectify it is by rebooting the phone so far, although admittedly I haven't had the chance to test simply closing and re-opening the Spotify app.

HHA is great, tried it this evening on a very steep incline and worked perfectly.

Had start stop in my old car and very rarely stalled but have found I have stalled a few times in the new car but only when in dynamic mode, going to put the car into auto made on drive select tomorrow to see if that makes a difference, as might be a bit of a clash between dynamic throttle response and start/ stop kicking in.

Even more impressed with in car acceleration on 2.0TDI done a few 20 to 55 bursts in 3rd and its like a rocket and from my recollection quicker than the170BHP A4 I had as alone car last year.

Has anyone seen any official in gear acceleration figures or put the 2.0tdi on a rolling road, sure I heard somewhere else they had been clocking closer to 165bhp which would not surprise me.

Not had time to try other gadgets and gizmos, still enjoying the driving too much, but just read up in manual about auxiliary heater/cooler on the TDI and apparently you can time it to heat/cool the car on timer before you get in, has anyone used this function yet with any success.

Oh I've stalled a few times following a stop/start. Think you need to give it a second to get going, but that limits its usefulness.

Ah yes, didn't think of the stop start. Perhaps that's it... although other times I've managed to pull away pretty quickly after it starting without an issue. Just going to take some getting used to I think!

Reactions: Gswearengin
Lane assist is quirky. Had to override it this morning to pass a cyclist. Impressed that it at least thinks it can see a curb without any paint.

How are you finding it generally? Tried it on a new road with clear makings, and it let the car go over the lines without trying to correct, but other times even when the lines aren't even that great it works fine. Sometimes it lets me let go of the steering and it happily does it (though I'm always hovering!), other times I'm holding on and it tells me off for letting go!

I've only stalled it once, and was impressed at how it auto-started itself again the second i stuck the clutch in!

It's done that a couple of times for me, but also not done it a couple of times... still trying to work out why!

The main bugs I've encountered are around plugging my iPhone 4S into the MMI interface. When using Spotify, I've had instances where the MMI gives up, and tells me that my device is incompatible. The only way I've been able to rectify it is by rebooting the phone so far, although admittedly I haven't had the chance to test simply closing and re-opening the Spotify app.

I'm interested to know how Spotify works mate as it's my main source of music! Can you control the music from the steering wheel and does the album art appear on the cars screen?

Not had time to try other gadgets and gizmos, still enjoying the driving too much, but just read up in manual about auxiliary heater/cooler on the TDI and apparently you can time it to heat/cool the car on timer before you get in, has anyone used this function yet with any success.

I don't think that's available in the UK?

Not had any problems with lane assist thinking I've let go.
Tried going over a solid white line (a sort of hard shoulder of an exit slip) and it tried to stop me and then rumbled the steering wheel. So long as you don't expect it to do the steering for you it's OK, but not amazing. ACC is excellent though, especially with sat nav to tell it the upcoming curves. Passed an HGV on the motorway going into a right hand bend and it knew it wasn't in my lane.

Yeh, the ACC really is impressive - I'm really glad I specced that

I'm interested to know how Spotify works mate as it's my main source of music! Can you control the music from the steering wheel and does the album art appear on the cars screen?

It's a bit of a strange implementation - I'm not sure they've actually deliberately got Spotify working, and it just happens to support particular features. For instance, the MMI screen and the screen behind the steering wheel both have the ability to display the track name of the track you're currently listening to. If you're listening via iPod, that works fine. However, when I was listening via Spotify, the MMI screen seemed to be showing an iPod track that I wasn't listening to, but the display behind the steering wheel was displaying the track on Spotify!

You can skip back and forth between tracks, but the MMI screen won't give you any help on that front. If I get a chance, I'll write a bit of a post describing it properly.

Okay, well at least it kind of works! A post describing it properly would help me out loads & take away some of the worry I have! I'd appreciate the time taken to do that for me and the rest of us spotify users!

Reactions: Karl Alesbury
is the handbrake working all okay now? did u manually put handbrake on before rolling down the hill?

Handbreak is working perfectly. Can't remember if I manually put hand break on when stopping. since we have an underground car park at work, I was too busy admiring my lights automatically comming on as well as all the interior lights!

So after a couple of days driving and here are some things I have noticed (I am a man so pressed lots of buttons but not read the books yet by the way lol)

I use an iPhone 5 so am having to use the adapter for the MMI cable, because of this it doesn't seem to fit very cleanly in the arm rest? Will be cured when dedicated cable arrives though.

1.8 TFSI S-Tronic Lag
I am noticing it sometimes and not others but I am trying different combo's of drive select Hold Assist and Stop Start, during normal driving its fine with everything switched on, lag is noticeable but not a problem. Negotiating roundabouts it could be a bit of a problem but I have found turning Start Stop off as your approaching seems to cure it. I think after a little time getting accustomed to the cars systems I will find a way of eliminating it.

Start Stop with Hold Assist on an S-Tronic
Without Hold Assist on the car restarts when you lift your foot off the break.
With Hold Assist on the car restarts when you touch the throttle.
If sitting at the lights in traffic with HA on and engine stopped, when the lights change if you tap the brake the engine will restart so is running (Held by HA) ready for when its your turn to pull away.

1.8 TFSI
Beautiful engine, economical but also quick, well not just quick but FAST! I am not even pushing it yet and I have noticed how quick it is :D quiet while pottering but with a nice rasp as the revs pick up with just a hint of turbo whistle.

That's a few little things I thought I would point out as these are questions I had before I got mine ;)

Handbreak is working perfectly. Can't remember if I manually put hand break on when stopping. since we have an underground car park at work, I was too busy admiring my lights automatically comming on as well as all the interior lights!
Also still trying to get used to the electronic handbrake. Sometimes I forget to put the handbreak on, shame I didn't order the hill hold assist.

Put mine in dynamic for the first time today, you really notice the extra boost!

Reactions: Daveotto
Put mine in dynamic for the first time today, you really notice the extra boost!

Took mine off dynamic for the first time today, into comfort, and I noticed the difference the other way, seemed relatively tame, but helped on the stalling front with start/stop as clutch is now far more forgiving as the throttle response is not so senstivie.

Also worked out that to help on start/stalling front when in dynamic make sure you depress the clutch a good second before you want to pull off.

Today I didn't stall it at all interestingly - the other way around to you it seems.

Horses for courses......I am sure we will all find our own prefered settings and style

I havn't stalled at all, however, I don't have the drive select option (SE). So maybe its not an issue for the sedate/economy drive.

I don't think that's available in the UK?

Think you are right does not look like the option is there which is a shame, although there is an option to turn the auxiliary heater to either auto or off in the MMI

1.8 tfsi stronic
Noticed the little bit of lag too but getting used to it more so now. Once I understand the characteristics of the drive I'm sure it'll be no issue. It's nice and quiet, subtle too but foot in and she picks up well. Not given it much though as still on less than 70 miles lol. Did however find launch control. That's a lot of fun!!
Only niggles are. Didn't order enough! Pockets weren't full enough!!

1.8 tfsi stronic
Noticed the little bit of lag too but getting used to it more so now. Once I understand the characteristics of the drive I'm sure it'll be no issue. It's nice and quiet, subtle too but foot in and she picks up well. Not given it much though as still on less than 70 miles lol. Did however find launch control. That's a lot of fun!!
Only niggles are. Didn't order enough! Pockets weren't full enough!!

1.8 is so much fun isn't it :D I haven't given it the full beans yet as only on about 150 miles too nut have had a couple of overtaking manoeuvres ;)

Not as fast as my old scooby but I tell you what, I don't think it's far off! Just a dam site more civilised ;)

How do you find 1st gear while its in auto? I feel it could do with holding it in 1st just a little bit longer?

Not sure where this post should go, but here it is anyway.

What do people think of he sat nav? I have the SD card version, and after a bit of playing around and getting use to the features (sorry, manual is redundant, except for voice commands), I think it's great.

I have previously used a Tom Tom, proding it (sometimes off the windscreen) whenever you want some information, IMO, the SD nav is far superior in almost every feature. Appologies to those who already know what I am about to say, but a lot of these features are new to me.

Entering destination by three means, post code, voice, or use of wheely thing and and arrow ( don't know proper name) just lends itself to whatever moods takes you. impressed with voice recognition and saying "home address" will plot your journey home. With a switch of the programmable steering wheelbutton will shut the "speaking little lady" up. Another single press of a button will instantly give the latest voice command of your navigation journey, just in case you have forgotten.

There may be other forms of entering destination addresses that I haven't discovered yet, apart from the the normal ones of storing previous destinations.

When initially playing, I did think the voice command "home" would do the trick of navigating me home, however, it took me to either the phone or tone menu! Didn't realise there are a whole host of voice commands to make a phone call, select a radio station or play music from the SD card, havn't really played around with these yet.

Also impressed with other voice commands, if you are in unfamiliar sourroundings, displaying local restaurants, petrol stations etc, but I guess this is now old hat.

Before I decided to order the SD sat nav, I was totally unaware of the above features, but I'm sooo glad I did order it. There are probably other features I have not yet discovered.

I used it today for the first time, so not really used to it completely yet. Will give it another go tomorrow. The 3D view on tech pack is great - it even has my block of flats in 3D on there! I like the lane suggestions that even appear in the DIS, so you know which lane goes where (and it hasn't got it wrong yet!). One thing I did note was that you had to enter destination by street name and postcode, I couldn't see a way to just put in (for example) 'Homebase Derby' or something - this is something i did quite a lot with the google sat nav on my android phone. I think connect brings google search functionality to the nav in this way, and searching on google for local restaurants etc, so will have to try that out when I've got connect up and running. The live traffic and dynamic rerouting should also be good on this, and the google earth imagery overlaid on the map too!

One thing that puzzles me about traffic updates (not that I'm complaining) is that even without connect, the sat nav reports delays close to my journey. Does this feature work though GPS? :think:

One thing that puzzles me about traffic updates (not that I'm complaining) is that even without connect, the sat nav reports delays close to my journey. Does this feature work though GPS? :think:

It uses TMC (traffic message channel) which is broadcast along with FM radio and DAB. It'll only give you information on the more major roads.

Loving my new 1.8 s-tronic. I do notice a slight delay e.g. pulling out at roundabouts, think is because it tries to do it in 2nd gear.
So just use the paddles to drop to first gear and pulls out fine.

Still tweaking the B&O settings and may adjust my driving position a bit more, but overall I'm finding the MMI etc. pretty intuitive. This evening was the first time I've driven it since collection day on Tuesday, but there are more and more nice little details I'm noticing. Very pleased indeed with it so far.