Cigarette lighter mod?

Chris goodgame

Reaction score
Hi all recent new owner to a audi a3 s line 12 plate. Just wondering I've seen a few photos on here where people had modified the ugly cigarette lighter to say usb ports etc, where can I get the kit for this ? Cheers.

You can just but a dual USB piece from eBay which just fits into lighter socket or are you looking at some aftermarket piece that fits lighter socket hole and you can use the wires from bottom off said socket and plug into aftermarket piece

I have an Anker dual USB fast charging adaptor that plugs in the 12v socket, but I think the OP wants to replace the 12v socket with a USB plug instead.
I would also prefer that as it would look far neater.

I have an Anker dual USB fast charging adaptor that plugs in the 12v socket, but I think the OP wants to replace the 12v socket with a USB plug instead.
Totally agree but it will mean finding a usb that the connection at the bottom of fig lighter either fits or mod to fit said other piece . It might be possible to find a mini usb that fits in socket but gets covered by Flap

You can get a USB adapter that sits flush with the lighter socket. Looks pretty discreet. For bonus you could get a flap based socket also. See my posts from a few months ago.

You can get a USB adapter that sits flush with the lighter socket. Looks pretty discreet. For bonus you could get a flap based socket also. See my posts from a few months ago.
Yes, Mine is pretty flush so it's not a huge issue.
I'd rather see a USB slot there instead though, plus if it was angled at 90 degrees so the cable didn't have to point up, but could sit flush along the trim it would look better.
Small problem/annoyance, but nothing I can't live with if there is no solution.

That sounds decent, Is that available on ebay by any chance?

I would worry about your battery draining as the cigarette lighter is always powered unless you do the switched 12v mod

I have chargers plugged in all the time in my car (two in the front, one in the back) and have never had the battery drain.
If nothing is plugged into them, there is nothing to draw the power from the battery.

Sounds like I've got the same set up as @maxpayne

- USB adapter is off Amazon for under a tenner, can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I can find it when I get home if you need.
- Flip top lighter part number (8P0 863 387A 6PS) was purchased from Stoke Audi for about £25.

USB sits flush underneath the flip cover, so you don't ever have to remove it and it stays hidden when your not using it.

Pictures of mine:

img_2871-jpg.168492

img_3961-jpg.168493

Reactions: Andreashadji

- USB adapter is off Amazon for under a tenner, can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I can find it when I get home if you need.
- Flip top lighter part number (8P0 863 387A 6PS) was purchased from Stoke Audi for about £25.

USB sits flush underneath the flip cover, so you don't ever have to remove it and it stays hidden when your not using it.

Pictures of mine:

img_2871-jpg.168492

img_3961-jpg.168493
That's exactly what I was after! If you could link us the adapter off Amazon later when you get chance that would be great. Looks smart that ! Cheers.

A bit off topic but does anyone know the part number for the little rubber insert that goes between the lighter and the aux? Mine is missing.

Pictures of mine:

img_2871-jpg.168492

img_3961-jpg.168493

That's exactly what I was after! If you could link us the adapter off Amazon later when you get chance that would be great. Looks smart that ! Cheers.

Here's the link for the one I bought: (edit: for some reason the link to amazon doesn't take you to the product... so just search google for)
'AUKEY USB Car Charger Dual Port 24W Flush Fit Car Adaptor with Multi Protection Safety System for iPhone X / 8 / 8 Plus / 7, iPad Air / Pro / mini, Samsung & More - Black '

@Hari afraid I'm don't know the part number for that bit, but might be something that's quite easy to make yourself and still look OEM.

Reactions: Andreashadji
Here's the link for the one I bought: (edit: for some reason the link to amazon doesn't take you to the product... so just search google for)
'AUKEY USB Car Charger Dual Port 24W Flush Fit Car Adaptor with Multi Protection Safety System for iPhone X / 8 / 8 Plus / 7, iPad Air / Pro / mini, Samsung & More - Black '

@Hari afraid I'm don't know the part number for that bit, but might be something that's quite easy to make yourself and still look OEM.
Top man found it, cheers fella appreciated.

I would worry about your battery draining as the cigarette lighter is always powered unless you do the switched 12v mod

It's a smart design think I'll grab one too. But yeah I thought if you leave it in it still draws power from the battery? Even if you're not charging.

Reactions: xkieron99x
Unless you leave the car stationary for a few weeks i think you'll be fine.
I rarely use mine from monday to friday and it always starts with no struggle.