Cigarette lighter/12v socket always on?

Matt2010

Reaction score
I want to fit my dashcam (not hard wired yet) via its 12v connector in my PFL.
Does the cigarette lighter/12v socket in center console stay on after ignition is switched off as don't want to drain the battery?

I have Googled this but some say no and some yes :help:

Easiest way to find out is to leave your phone connected on the car charger (I'm sure you have one), lock the car and wait at least 15-20 seconds outside.
That time usually take for the alarm to activate.
You can see through the window then if it still charges or not.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: seventeenapg
Easiest way to find out is to leave your phone connected on the car charger (I'm sure you have one), lock the car and wait at least 15-20 seconds outside.
That time usually take for the alarm to activate.
You can see through the window then if it still charges or not.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Nice one and will try that :)

Reactions: KrisKrk
Btw, dash cam connected to cigarette lighter socket will still drain your battery.
If you don't have battpack for your dash cam, you'll soon find out how long it takes for it to drain

You can get hardwire power regulator (forgot proper name) which will allow car to cut off the power to the socket when certain voltage you set is reached.
You hardwire this to the car and have a cigarette lighter socket from that you plug your camera into.
Cost £30-£40
Check Blackvue ones. They good

Sent from H P20 PRO

Camera has battery in it and worked fine with previous car from 12v socket. No battery drain.

Camera has battery in it and worked fine with previous car from 12v socket. No battery drain.
Ah. In that case, all should be good.

Battery operated dash cams left in direct sunlight can cause problems.
Newer cameras have capacitor to prevent battery explosions.
Thought you have one of those.

Sent from H P20 PRO

I have a BlackVue DR750S-2CH with a BlackVue Power Magic Pro, what voltage do you set the voltage cutoff at? Ideally would like to be able to start the car in the morning :whistle2:

Not sure how low to go
voltage-configuration-pmp-1024x424.png

The 12v socket by default only supplies power when the vehicles ignition is in the accessory position, ie key first position / first press of the start button if keyless, or if the ignition is on. This behaviour can be changed to supply permanent power by changing to position of fuse F40 (20amp yellow) in your fuse box.

Reactions: seventeenapg and Matt2010
I have recently installed a camera which is hardwired tot he car.
It has built in power management option so I can set it in menu.

I have set it to 12v
I can still start the car and the camera usually stay on overnight for parking mode record.
Same applies when going to work. Camera stays on and there is 50% battery power remaining.
At least, this is what mmi is showing me.

Sent from H P20 PRO

The 12v socket by default only supplies power when the vehicles ignition is in the accessory position, ie key first position / first press of the start button if keyless, or if the ignition is on. This behaviour can be changed to supply permanent power by changing to position of fuse F40 (20amp yellow) in your fuse box.

I have a 2010 a6 avant and my cigarette sockets are always on, I have looked at the fuse and there doesn’t seem to be another location to move it to, to make it come on and off on the ignition. Is it possible to make the socket so it is switched on only when the ignition is on?? Many thanks for the advice.

I have a 2010 a6 avant and my cigarette sockets are always on, I have looked at the fuse and there doesn’t seem to be another location to move it to, to make it come on and off on the ignition. Is it possible to make the socket so it is switched on only when the ignition is on?? Many thanks for the advice.
This is for the MQB platform, your vehicle is different and you will need to find a switched location. Do you have a multimeter to test with?

Thanks DJAlix

I have the Blackvue DR900s 2CH and I used the OBD11 port with a special connector that I bought online. It connects to the port at one end and has the proper connection for the Blackvue camera at the other. Also, there is a toggle switch where you can switch to "parking mode" where it will automatically switch the camera off when battery goes below a certain voltage. I didn't know that this port could offer this type of functionality.

Attachments

• 20200115_165849.jpg
    20200115_165849.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 436
Not sure about the front, but the one in the boot is always on isn't it ?

Hiya. Can I please ask how I would change the position? Or where I would have to move it too please?

Thanks

Hiya. Can I please ask how I would change the position? Or where I would have to move it too please?

Thanks
Remove the fuse and move the fuse up or down one position, will be in your vehicles user guide.

Reactions: RS03???