Chrome mirrors painted

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Hi All ,had an hour spare at work so i thought i would buff my alloy covers, as they were slightly pitted from all the spirited driving...:yes:
Anyway started to buff them and was shocked when 2 different shades were coming through....
On closer inspection it looks like they have been chromed and laquered so basicaly i had f**ked them
so i got the masking tape out and painted them black with a chrome edge then laquered them....
What a result i think they look cool what do you guys think?

ps polish your mirror covers by hand or you will have the sinking feeling i got :noway:
anyway all is good i think they go well with my alloys..
28072010194.jpg

By d121m at 2010-07-28
28072010195.jpg

By http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4903/28072010196.jpg[/IMG]
By [URL="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/d121m"]d121m
at 2010-07-28ttp://profile.imageshack.us/user/d121m]d121m[/URL] at 2010-07-28
28072010197.jpg

By d121m at 2010-07-28

them dots on the last pic is rain not bubbles lol

Last edited:
Dave, u've done a cracking job. I like them bud :)

lol they are polished mirrors not chromed. So whoever had it before might have bought those cheapy chrome ebay mirrors! Good job though dude!

they come with the car new, i have the options bought with the car..well if they are polished alloy they have a ton of laquer on them from the factory, when i polished through it, there was 1mm lip from the "propper" alloy underneath and it looked more of a shiney polished alloy than the top coat i dont know maybe, be polished alloy??

what did you used to polish them ? mine are originals & i polish them alot but cant say i have gone through the laquer coat however i wouldnt mind polishing them up to a mirror finish afterall aluminium doesnt corrode so no harm in it.

Dave

Im impressed, i think they look really good..

Well done.

cheers guys...... on a side note to mattyboy alloy does corrode it goes that white powdery colour like old alloy wheels thats why audi laquer them i used an industrial polisher with a 4" scotchbrite wheel @ 7500 rpm

what did you used to polish them ? mine are originals & i polish them alot but cant say i have gone through the laquer coat however i wouldnt mind polishing them up to a mirror finish afterall aluminium doesnt corrode so no harm in it.

Bare aluminium DOES corrode. It oxidizes if exposed to the elements, hence why Audi applied lacquer to finish.

I think the best way to refurbish/refinish the mirror covers would be to polish them then have them anodized without colour.