Chrome Mirror Covers

Hotscar

Four Wheel Drifting
Reaction score
I would like to add chrome mirrors to my S3 but Audi are expensive, the originals on ebay are as rare as a sensible copper and I'm just not sure about cheap(er) copies. Are copies any good or should I stop being a tight git and go to Audi?

Also, I'm looking at tyres and am thinking of getting Toyo proxes for all year round, is that a wise move?

Save your money, the Chrome ones get nicked all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

audi i'm afraid, unless there are some good polished reps out there that i dont know about.

with ebay, you either get the wrong part (i.e. s4 ones, or post/re facelift ones) or they are metalic silver painted plastic items.

Also , you describe them as chrome - you can get bling chrome ones, but they look awful (IMO). The OEM ones are brushed aluminum.

[ QUOTE ]

Also , you describe them as chrome - you can get bling chrome ones, but they look awful (IMO). The OEM ones are brushed aluminum.

[/ QUOTE ]

OEM S3 mirrors aren't brushed aluminium...they are polished...and look like chrome.

OEM RS6 mirror covers are brushed...they fit post-facelift S3's

I'm not a fan of the polished aluminium original S3 type...too bling...and I like the nasty chromed plastic efforts even less!

i wouldn't describe the OEM S3 ones as chrome, they are definitely brushed - unless mine are not OEM...

they definitely look, and feel, brushed....

damn, now you got me wanting to go outside and check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't describe the OEM S3 ones as chrome, they are definitely brushed - unless mine are not OEM...

they definitely look, and feel, brushed....

damn, now you got me wanting to go outside and check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If yours are very bright and shiny...they are OEM S3.

If they are dull and look sorta brushed, sorta sandblasted...they are the RS6 mirror covers.

weird, they are reflective, but nowhere like mirror finish.

I know mines a personal import, and that I haven't modified them myself, nor had the previous owner like to have (as it was a female /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)...

out of interest, how reflective are the OEM S3 ones, mirror finish?

[ QUOTE ]
weird, they are reflective, but nowhere like mirror finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely they are OEM S3...

[ QUOTE ]

I know mines a personal import, and that I haven't modified them myself, nor had the previous owner like to have (as it was a female /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible...

[ QUOTE ]

out of interest, how reflective are the OEM S3 ones, mirror finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember them being quite mirror finished...a proper polished aluminium finish is what they are...bright and shiny...but not quite chromed.

The RS6 mirrors are not in any way shiny...they are dull...a sort of brushed raw aluminium finish.

nice one, thanks for clearing that one up.

I'd probably put the RS6 mirrors on the shopping list, but I think the OEM ones suit Nogaro blue perfectly as it's already a bit of a bling colour.. especially with the silver leather.

If it was another colour, i'd consider it.

i bought some replicas off ebay £35 and very very good quality. machined from a solid block of aluminium. no problems at all and a lot cheaper than audi gen!

thank god for ebay

I'd be interested in these if they are good? Can you post a link to the one's you bought off ebay?

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
i bought some replicas off ebay £35 and very very good quality. machined from a solid block of aluminium. no problems at all and a lot cheaper than audi gen!

thank god for ebay

[/ QUOTE ]

£35 for machined ones? Seems too cheap to me. If it was the plastic ones then fair enough, but....

i bought them off a guy who bidded 25 quid for em. i emailed him and he said make me an offer so i said 35... sucker and they defo aint plastic

Any idea what the OEM S4 mirrors are supposed to look like. Got mine off ebay for £200 and the guy selling them said they came off a 2001 S4.

Some git just tried to knick mine again, broke the nearside one off but couldnt cut through the cable securing it to the door. Luckily no door damage this time so the only parts need replacing are the loom and the door bracket.

I heard the bang but couldnt see anything out the window as was on the other side, plus a neighbour was moving in so there was lots of bangs throught the evening. Neighbour on the other side of the street did see him so rang the police who were on the scene within 5mins. The DVLA'd my reg and rang my buzzer to let me know.

I said to the copper that maybe it was a good idea I didnt catch the scum or he'd be arresting me. He said no chance, as long as I didnt go as far as stabbing him, but a beating with something was well in order.

Could have picked a warmer night for it, unscrewing and removing the assembley was not much fun.

As UncleRogi says theives do try to nick these all the time, but who are they to determine what we buy?