chrome galore........

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
granted the pictures may not look too great as closups compared to the ones who have painted them black or dechrormed them which did surprise me a bit, but it's certainly another 'complimentary' look.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Also in isolation it doesn't do it justice. Couldn't be bothered to star the engine and take it out of the garage - it's been over a month for it to hit the tarmac.

Last edited:
Ok, so I did carried away with the chrome on the front.... I will admit it has been overdone some what ! It does come across as a bit of caged beast - although it is standard. People do see me coming from a mile away - night or day. I am re-thinking my strategy on reducing the chrome a little bit from the front.

Also as I said it doesn't look as neat as the dechrome finish, but it is quite closup and you can see all the water marks. when you stand back - it does sparkle and you do need some sunglasses in the sun.

If you check out my old car, you'll see where I am heading and the look I'm after. And don't tell me your not impressed.

P5110008a.jpg

def a no no mate with the chrome on the rear lights:no:.. sorry but just my opinion bro.. less is more...

sorry but looks terrable

I do see what you mean with the rear chrome around the lights when I look at the picture too, but when you step back and look at the whole rear it does look very nice. And when you look at any other S3 after that , they all look a bit bare. I will post some pics when I have a reason to give the car a bit of a drive.

Wow thats shockingly bad, remove it all IMO!

I reckon you have just knocked £500 off the value of your car!

yeh bro honestly.... you have a S3 why the hell would you want to do that... keep it simple and would look the nuts just no need for al the bling... not trying to be harsh fella just think you should DE chrome it ASAP.

With the front top grille, as standard there is chrome all the way round. I simply replicated the standard finish to the lower bumper.

But I went further and added the extra vertical strips - those are the ones I might just remove. I wanted the car to stand out a 'little' (OK, it appears a lot now) more. What would make the car look trashy is if I had all that chrome and the body was clearly in bad state - and I have seen that. But when the body is straight and mint then it's not too bad. - my opinion ! - although quite a few stone chips on bonnet from previous high mileage owner.

Need some matching chrome mirrors to set it off. Maybe if someone could sell me a pair cheaply when de-chroming theirs - they might as well put the painted ones back on as that appears to be this century's fashion.

Last edited:
fair play bro... your opinion and its your car just thought id add my pennys worth as I said less is more where bouts in surrey u located fella?...

What would make the car look trashy is if I had all that chrome Sorry mate but thats exactly what the problem is!!!
Need some matching chrome mirrors to set it off. Maybe if someone could sell me a pair cheaply when de-chroming theirs - they might as well put the painted ones back on as that appears to be this century's fashion.

you could always get the inpro mirror cases as there plastic covered chrome and would suit the rest of the chrome well....

you could always get the inpro mirror cases as there plastic covered chrome and would suit the rest of the chrome well....

true, but no. Only the original ones in that case will do. Unfortuntely I did not have any other options with the chrome strips. I will be removing some just trying to decide which (and not all before you jump on that reply). I do still maintain a bit more chrome is required at the front to compliment the existing front standard (i.e mirros and grille surround).

thegoal007 if you're happy with the way your car looks then thats all that matters, not my cup of tea to be honest mate but thats my opinion, just as your opinion of not liking my gunmetal alloys and grill etc, each to their own i guess

Have you got any pics of the whole car mate?

Have you got any pics of the whole car mate?

Don't really want to start the car, get it on the road, take a few pics and put it back in. Hopefully soon. It would also be interesting to compare the rear end of both our S3's in a similar picture. As I have the chrome surrounding the rear lights complimenting the audi chrome badge and the chrome number plate surround - those I will not be removing.

Sooo 90's!

Your car mate, do what ya like with it!

Sooo 90's!

Your car mate, do what ya like with it!

If you put an original 80's BMW 635 next to the one I had above and you'll see the obvious transformation I did for the better. And going on from that the very same car could still compete on looks today, 2010.

If it was not for someone writing the car off I would still be driving it....or maybe not now as it was only returning 10-18 mpg. It was a real headturner with compliments everywhere it was seen.

I'm sure most of your cars, even if they look good in pics, some look even better or worse in real life. Well, this BM looked 10 times better in real life - so imagine.

Last edited:
doood it is your opinion that counts......but you posted pics on a forum in which case your gonna get opinions AND diplomatic people who won't give an opinion in case they upset you....

in complete fairness......

i could curl one out on my bonnet and it would be more impressive.......it really does look the opposite to making the car too modern, a bit like the Delorian with cart wheels attached (Back to the Future 2)

All this anti-chrome feeling. I honestly do not mind the comments - all of which are bad. I am just trying to get my view across. I don't mind fighting, what appears to be, a losing battle.

btw, I have seen many new Audi's and ford models (maybe others out there too ?) with huge & brash front end very chrome finishes. I wonder what's going on there ? Are they all ugly and 80's or 90's ?

Well it's your car but personally i think it looks gopping with the chrome added and would certainly put me off buying it if i was a future purchaser, however on a positive note, the 6 series looks lovely.

All this anti-chrome feeling. I honestly do not mind the comments - all of which are bad. I am just trying to get my view across. I don't mind fighting, what appears to be, a losing battle.

btw, I have seen many new Audi's and ford models (maybe others out there too ?) with huge & brash front end very chrome finishes. I wonder what's going on there ? Are they all ugly and 80's or 90's ?

Most new Audis start out with a chrome surround like yours, and the facelifts have since painted theirs almost entirely black...well done for being different- but and it is a big but, the only modern car i know of that can get away with that much chrome is the black taxis you see trundling around town.....and i think you've outdone even them

Well, I can simply peel them all off for any future prospective buyer.

As another possible future buyer I would not look twice at a totally dechrome finished car especially if the alloys & windows were darkened ! I would like to see the buyer conjur a sale from that position....obviously for a buyer like me. But it does sound like the majority would love a car like that which is fair enough. Sounds like you lot need to swayed a little bit in my direction with some full pics - soon.

Looking at an alloy, front grille or back spoiler on their own may look fantastic - but it's normally a different story when you step back and walk around the car from all angles and from distances. Yes I have seen those very attractive dechromed front grille's (and they are genuinely very nice) painted to perfection, but when everything is darkened then you could argue someone is doing the complete opposite to me. And that statement would not be true becuase I have the contrast between the ming blue paint work, chrome and other black bits to make the 'whole' car stand out. Yes, and I say again I may have gone a bit overboard, but the contrast with chrome is better than blacking everything.

Oh and just to reply to 1animal1 most people around my neighbourhood would love to own a 'black taxi' like mine :) and I don't think they would be in a hurry to remove ALL the chrome, but they could if they wished !

Last edited:
Please stop this chrom'ness, It fades, leaves sticky marks, peels off, & makes you look like a wannbe Bentley. Do you have a CD hanging from your mirror & a tissue box cover on the parcel shelf ???

But it is your car & im only throwing my bargain you prob dont like my plain car :)

Sorry mate, but im not feeling that im afraid, however as already mentioned, it is your car, so feel free to mod as you wish.

Personally if I was looking to buy an S3 and saw it with all that chrome, i would probably turn it down,, as it just doesnt look right.

my point is....you see someone post a well presented and perfectly painted and pictured front grill and you all love it (me included). I show you the same in chrome (and not picture perfect) and you all hate it. You step back from one and the front grille doesn't stand out and in fact the whole car stands down and fades away - in my opinion. All I am trying to do is add a bit of chrome to bring the whole beauty of the car into the forefront.

And to Dazboss, yes you are right I've seen a few standard S3's and they do now look a bit plain to me.

There's been so much about darkening of alloys and grilles I just thought I would throw a chrome spanner in the works :).
Bit of an extreme example and the image is not that great, but just imagine the car below with black alloys , complete black front end...and imagine if the car was completely dark !

bugatti_veyron.jpg

Man them rea lights look terrible.. Looks worse than lexus lights.. stop now for the love of god!!

Next it will look like this...hehe..

chrome_car.jpg

chromecar9ao.jpg

And to Dazboss, yes you are right I've seen a few standard S3's and they do now look a bit plain to me.

I've not got a S3 bud, mines a A3 Quattro, Hey im not knocking you. I know what you mean. There is certain things i do to every car that i have & i alway do it so i understand if your a lover of ze chrome :)

see - you are still not feeling me.

You are going to the other extreme ! Well I will give up for now.
You either understand what I am getting at or not. Whether I have gone a bit OTT is another issue, but judging by your examples above I am relatively mild.

my point is....you see someone post a well presented and perfectly painted and pictured front grill and you all love it (me included). I show you the same in chrome (and not picture perfect) and you all hate it. You step back from one and the front grille doesn't stand out and in fact the whole car stands down and fades away - in my opinion. All I am trying to do is add a bit of chrome to bring the whole beauty of the car into the forefront.

There's been so much about darkening of alloys and grilles I just thought I would throw a chrome spanner in the works :).
Bit of an extreme example and the image is not that great, but just imagine the car below with black alloys , complete black front end...and imagine if the car was completely dark !

bugatti_veyron.jpg

i think you're missing the point. chrome CAN look nice, for example the chrome look wing mirrors on the s3 looks very nice. but yours is not done tastefully, its done with a chinese £5.99 chrome strip set from halfords and it shows big time.

at the end of the day its your car do what you want, but doing that to a saxo would be a crime, this is blasphemy

Status
Not open for further replies.