Chops S4 thread

Stealing some terms from wikipedia, it is due to the obliquity of the earth so that a more northerly latitude above the equator will always be further from the sun than a more southerly one. This increased distance accounts for lower average temperatures.

But I guess you weren't really asking that were you? :)

Chop is spot on concerning changes in performance due to heat: The whole point of forced induction is to stuff more air/fuel mix into the cylinders. The more stuffed in the more energy can be harnessed into torque. But stuffing (OK - compressing) air quickly causes it to heat up, although its going to get hot anyway 'cos the whole engine and bay does. Hot air molecules have more energy so they jump about like little kids and this increases pressure (just like kids do for their parents). So any heating of the air being forced into the engine is effectively fighting back against your very intention of doing so and getting more performance.

As to B8 vs B8.5, the cooling system was redesigned in the B8.5. IIRC a radiator was deleted but the charge cooler was changed from single-flow to dual flow. I guess in theory it was supposed to be saving cost but maintaining the same efficiency, but maybe not in practice. Of course Audi didn't design either cooling system to cope with tuned engines...

first para - still didn't get it though .

Jokes aside, this is very very helpful
@Dippy and explains the whole thing, precisely what I was looking for. And it will now help with the data log I am looking at getting from OBD Fusion, which I know is not perfect it is just the right level to start for a novice like me. And I might be asking for some more guidance on that or perhaps steal one of XPs logs from one of the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk
Reactions: Chop.
Looks awesome chop sets it off nice that. Hopefully they dont mess about so you can have them on straight away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate I think it actually looks better than I thought it would, very happy with it

Looks perfect @Chop. Surprisingly, DVLA were really quick and I got the documents within 3-5 days. So, fingers crossed.

3-5 days would be perfect save me sticking them on early and getting in bother :tearsofjoy:

Stealing some terms from wikipedia, it is due to the obliquity of the earth so that a more northerly latitude above the equator will always be further from the sun than a more southerly one. This increased distance accounts for lower average temperatures.
It's not the increase in distance but the angle. Think of shining a torch vertically on the ground. You get a circle. Now move the torch to point at 45 degrees and you get an ellipse which covers more area than the circle. Same amount of energy covering a larger area. Applying to the sun and you have less warming effect the shallower the sun is in the sky...

Dippy is right on the heat causing the air being less compressed the warmer it gets so leading to less power. Some of the US guys put ice on the supercharger to cool it before a quarter mile drag run...

Reactions: jdp1962, V6_Man and Chop.
It's not the increase in distance but the angle. Think of shining a torch vertically on the ground. You get a circle. Now move the torch to point at 45 degrees and you get an ellipse which covers more area than the circle. Same amount of energy covering a larger area. Applying to the sun and you have less warming effect the shallower the sun is in the sky...

Dippy is right on the heat causing the air being less compressed the warmer it gets so leading to less power. Some of the US guys put ice on the supercharger to cool it before a quarter mile drag run...

Even better - thanks @arad85

It's official :grinning::tongueclosed:

IMG 4621

Reactions: kwstantinosk89, gary_a4_quattro, V6_Man and 4 others
That was a quick delivery from DVLA @Chop. Plate looks awesome

That was a quick delivery from DVLA @Chop. Plate looks awesome

Cheers bud can't beat a V6 plate :laughing:Got an email yesterday saying transfer was complete and documents on the way, happy boy

Reactions: xpoweruk and V6_Man
Cheers bud can't beat a V6 plate

When I bought mine last year I wasn't sure how it would look and that I might look stupid. But then I knew that those who knew about cars would know exactly what it means. Glad, I went for it. And super happy to know that you were of the same view as well

So these have caught my eye :hubbahubba:

IMG 4631

Yes I know they are blue I like blue

no I don't want red or yellow or black And yes I know it's an Audi and not JDM

Just wanted to get the obvious comments out the way first :playful:

I love sitting in proper buckets.
I had a stripped out MG with buckets & harness.Every drive was an adventure due to the feel :) (the quaiffe diff helped too ;) )

I love sitting in proper buckets.
I had a stripped out MG with buckets & harness.Every drive was an adventure due to the feel :) (the quaiffe diff helped too ;) )

Nice one, it totally changes the feel, had a few in previous motors and none of them where up to the power and handling of the S4

I'll prob start with the drivers seat first see how I can get it set up on the mounts etc would really love a blue bride job just need to see what comes up as there's none on eBay just now

But then you have everything wrapped in yellow. Wouldn't it look a bit odd with yellow as a combo.

Blue looks cool though and I think you should wrap all the bits in same color.

I do like the blue but don't think I'll change anything else to blue

dont know why I just like the idea of the yellow bits with red on the steering wheel and just the blue seats standing out from everything else

I'm a bit strange that way :tearsofjoy: I don't believe some things need to be totally symmetrical to look good when it come to styling etc and the same with colours just seems to obvious and simple to me sometimes I like to be different

yet I can be totally OCD about other things not being right like the digital heater settings being at .5 or different on passenger side :grimacing:

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man
Yellow with red looks good but sure about black, yellow and red and blue. But then you get to try to find out. And I am sure it will look good or perhaps awesome

I think you should get one & re-cover it with German flag colours :)

Reactions: Chop. and V6_Man
Now that would be some combo!!!

I'd love a pair of these but there well out my budget

IMG 4632

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
Introduce 'wife tax' at home. That's what I do as and when I have to buy stuff

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
My mate had one bride bucket seat in his old clapped out corolla. Lovely seat, was worth more than the car

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haha I like his style

I should really just forget the passenger and get myself one as a treat

Haha I like his style

I should really just forget the passenger and get myself one as a treat
Precisely! Look after numero uno. The passenger don't need no bride seat, all they do is sit there! Am I right?!

Reactions: V6_Man and Chop.
Precisely! Look after numero uno. The passenger don't need no bride seat, all they do is sit there! Am I right?!

Very true, In my experience they tend to complain a bit too sometimes :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: barkclark and V6_Man
Not much to update apart from I done something I don't do that often

I washed the car and headed out to take some photos ( 15min at the car wash with a brush ) sorry to all those paint lovers
IMG 4721

IMG 4678

IMG 4669

Reactions: kwstantinosk89, xpoweruk, RS5 JON and 2 others
BRUSHHHH

Reactions: RS5 JON and Chop.
Having said that, she looks awesome!

BRUSHHHH

Hahaha I take my hat off to you boys spending hrs cleaning and it does look the part after it but I'm lucky if I get an hr to myself a day, 12hr shifts, a 4 year old a 6 year old and 2 dogs tend to limit my car time ( oh and the wife )

Plus the 8 year old school run wagon has a few bumps, scrapes and flakes so she's never gona be perfect, my weapon of choice is photo shop :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: V6_Man
Hahaha. I was about to say that as long as you get this kind of shine with a 15 mins job then why not. You have amazing photoshopping skills, shall we say. Lol.

My wife has kind of given up on me now. I washed mine this Sunday. The intention was to do a 'quick wash', which started @3:30 and was supposed to finish 4:30pm and the next thing I realise it was 8pm but I spent most of my time cleaning inside. Needed some serious attention .

updates black tail pipes and another clean, gona change up the rhino lip for a gloss black maxtons

IMG 4769

IMG 4773

Reactions: Buxton2901, xpoweruk, kwstantinosk89 and 3 others
Sounding/looking good Chop.
I fancy a Maxtons too :)

Reactions: Chop. and Buxton2901
Sounding/looking good Chop.
I fancy a Maxtons too :)

Yeh I think so mate the rhino lip does the job but think it's time for a change and there a good price too

Once the family holiday is done in October I'll pull the trigger on one I think

Was also having thoughts on fabricating a rear diffuser I just can't justify £300-£400 for one any time soon as much as there are some good ones for that price and the one I really love is the enlaes one but for £1500 on a car that's nearly done 100k it would be madness so was thinking of removing mine and braking out the fibre resin and catty ( and probably destroy it :tearsofjoy: ) but it will keep me busy for a while

Last edited:
Well no changes recently just another mot passed with no advisories and 2 new front tyres

95k on the clock and the old beast it’s still going strong

C1F197D3 B54D 4B14 A7FD DAEDAB4E1E68
C076AB08 7A19 4AAA 9074 EE81C2B2FB18

My MOT plate ;-)

Reactions: V6_Man, xpoweruk and RS5 JON
Yeh fronts were done but rears are still going strong,

I’ll poss change them after Xmas so there all new but I’m considering getting my bike licence so the car might take a back seat for a bit

How’s your beast coming along

Reactions: RS5 JON and xpoweruk