Chops S4 thread

Back on the subject of the front splitter is this the kind of thing you have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122208998969?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or is Rhino lip def the way to go? I ask as it's 3 times the price, although not exactly expensive at around £30.

Will get one but i'm thinking of holding off on the fitting as I think the bumper has to come off to fit the RS4 style grill (is that correct??) & if so I might as well wait until the bumper is off of the car so I can take my time over the fitting.

Back on the subject of the front splitter is this the kind of thing you have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122208998969?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or is Rhino lip def the way to go? I ask as it's 3 times the price, although not exactly expensive at around £30.

Will get one but i'm thinking of holding off on the fitting as I think the bumper has to come off to fit the RS4 style grill (is that correct??) & if so I might as well wait until the bumper is off of the car so I can take my time over the fitting.

Yeh that's the one mate don't think I went with the rhino lip either but thought that was the best way to explain it

Bumper off job for the rs4 grill only thing I would say is maby line the lip up with the bumper on the car do you can see how it's going to look cause once you take the bumper off and fit it it might not look right with the bumper back on ( If that makes sense )

Reactions: xpoweruk
Looks like it has a big support in behind the number plate ?

If your going to keep the rings I'd go for one with the ring mount molded into the grill that way it's on less thing to worry about fitting right etc

But that's just me bud it's your motor

True about the plate & I really wanted less solid black there so that with the shortened plate as per this pic it stands out a bit more:

413254638.jpg

Otherwise you end up with a black overhang either side that is doing nothing, kind of looks wrong to me.

Good shout on the moulded rings.

Trouble is to get all of the above I think it goes up by about £80!

True about the plate & I really wanted less solid black there so that with the shortened plate as per this pic it stands out a bit more:

413254638.jpg

Otherwise you end up with a black overhang either side that is doing nothing, kind of looks wrong to me.

Good shout on the moulded rings.

Trouble is to get all of the above I think it goes up by about £80!

Yeh would look better with the full open grill

I found that mate switching from BMW as well nothing is cheap for these motors :-/

That will fit without issue

Reactions: Chop. and Russboy
Cheers, I dont trust ebays fitting guides sometimes!!

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
That looks like the one I got, with the smaller mesh in the grill and the built in parking sensors

I'd agree with XP that should fit

The 8.5 is angled at the top corners
IMG 4402

Reactions: V6_Man
That listing seems to think the Avant has a different front grill for some reason.
Mine grill is of the same type as the link & fits without issue

Reactions: V6_Man and Chop.
@xpoweruk nice find mate There just like the larger louver style vents I'd been looking at before, they do a satin black Finish too

I think you've just spent £40 for me :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: RS5 JON and xpoweruk
Gloss black and a coat of laquer would look braw I think , god dam man look what you've done

Reactions: Chris Nelson and xpoweruk
I was doing my usual ebay browsing & they popped up.I knew you would like that style as we touched on it before.
Now get ya wallet out :haha::rock::greedy dollars:

Reactions: RS5 JON and Chop.
Changed up the cheese graters yesterday bolts where annoying me :)

Bit of carbon wrap round the edge as the there was marks where old vents had sat

IMG 4490

IMG 4496

IMG 4493

Still needs cleaned up today's job

Reactions: kwstantinosk89, RS5 JON, V6_Man and 2 others
Well it's all happened today

You can never have too much yellow so thanks to @t8ups for the JDM style H11s for my fogs with excellent service included

IMG 4582

Looks more yellow in person

Also purchased a private reg been looking for a while and went with this, looks like the next remap provider has been picked

IMG 4583

Reactions: Chris Nelson, Sandra, Revo Steve-W and 6 others

You can never have too much yellow so thanks to @t8ups for the JDM style H11s for my fogs with excellent service included

View attachment 129864

Also purchased a private reg been looking for a while and went with this, looks like the next remap provider has been picked

View attachment 129870

Looks awesome buddy; both lights and the number plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Revo Steve-W, t8ups and Chop.
Nice choice on the plate mate :)

Reactions: Revo Steve-W, V6_Man and Chop.

View attachment 129864

View attachment 129870

@Chop. Could you not find one with your initials after V6. Initially I wanted an "S4 TMU" but they had all S1,...S9 but no S4 and had to use V6 and quite like it now. They still have S44, S444 TMU but it is not as appealing.

Reactions: Chop.
Nice choice on the plate mate :)

Cheers xp I looked for ages, I know prob only car people will get it but for the ones that do it's a really obvious plate and I liked that

@Chop. Could you not find one with your initials after V6. Initially I wanted an "S4 TMU" but they had all S1,...S9 but no S4 and had to use V6 and quite like it now. They still have S44, S444 TMU but it is not as appealing.

Yeh I was same looked at S4 plates for ages which I wanted but just couldn't find one with the last 3 letters to suit was hoping to find V6 SUP, there was a couple with s44... etc but I really wanted as less characters as possible as I think it looks better with just the 2 and 3 so In the end both parts of this plate ment something so it was done ( plus it's got to be worth a stage1+ discount :tonguewink::tearsofjoy: )

Reactions: xpoweruk, Revo Steve-W and V6_Man
So I looked and it's not there V6 or S4 :innocent:

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and V6_Man
Cheers xp I looked for ages, I know prob only car people will get it but for the ones that do it's a really obvious plate and I liked that

Yeh I was same looked at S4 plates for ages which I wanted but just couldn't find one with the last 3 letters to suit was hoping to find V6 SUP, there was a couple with s44... etc but I really wanted as less characters as possible as I think it looks better with just the 2 and 3 so In the end both parts of this plate ment something so it was done ( plus it's got to be worth a stage1+ discount :tonguewink::tearsofjoy: )
@Revo Steve-W :)

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and xpoweruk

View attachment 129864

View attachment 129870

Loving the plate, it can't be stock with a Revo Plate ;)

Reactions: jdp1962, V6_Man, Chop. and 1 other person
@Chop. Do consider charger cooling as an option as well either before or after you've gone stage 1+. I had nearly 30ps power loss after I installed Milltek. You might not see any differences but for me it was clear as a day light.

Last edited:
@Chop. Do consider charger cooling as an option as well either before or after you've gone stage 1+. I had nearly 30ps power loss after I installed Milltek. You might not see any differences but for me it was clear as a day light.

Yeh deff mate Iv been keeping my eye on the goings on on here and cooling seems like a must if your going to play with the big boyz

Yeh deff mate Iv been keeping my eye on the goings on on here and cooling seems like a must if your going to play with the big boyz

B8.5s get hotter compared to B8s so might not be a big issue for you to keep your engine cool. Plus it doesn't get too hot up north anyway. I don't know exactly why and how, maybe someone with better understanding of the mechanics can explain; like @xpoweruk or @Dippy as I am still learning

It's air temp and heat soak, warmer air less dense less air, cold air more dense more air ( I think )

Think the superchargers on these are bad for heat soak so keeping it cool is a must

Haha Yeh that's true we had a couple sunny days last week so that's us till next year :tearsofjoy:

If only someone else had explained it as easily as you have. Or perhaps I was being thick and unable to understand. Clear now

Plus it doesn't get too hot up north anyway. I don't know exactly why and how, maybe someone with better understanding of the mechanics can explain
Stealing some terms from wikipedia, it is due to the obliquity of the earth so that a more northerly latitude above the equator will always be further from the sun than a more southerly one. This increased distance accounts for lower average temperatures.

But I guess you weren't really asking that were you? :)

Chop is spot on concerning changes in performance due to heat: The whole point of forced induction is to stuff more air/fuel mix into the cylinders. The more stuffed in the more energy can be harnessed into torque. But stuffing (OK - compressing) air quickly causes it to heat up, although its going to get hot anyway 'cos the whole engine and bay does. Hot air molecules have more energy so they jump about like little kids and this increases pressure (just like kids do for their parents). So any heating of the air being forced into the engine is effectively fighting back against your very intention of doing so and getting more performance.

As to B8 vs B8.5, the cooling system was redesigned in the B8.5. IIRC a radiator was deleted but the charge cooler was changed from single-flow to dual flow. I guess in theory it was supposed to be saving cost but maintaining the same efficiency, but maybe not in practice. Of course Audi didn't design either cooling system to cope with tuned engines...

Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
So plates arrived today :sunglasses: had a test fit

Now need to wait on DVLA :flushed: who in my experience are never quick

IMG 4599

IMG 4601

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, RS5 JON, TechNick and 3 others