Facelift Choosing a pre-owned A3 8V FL: upgrade possibilities

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
Hey there. It's not always possible to get a pre-owned car with all the options you want. That's why many of us retrofit things. Some retrofits are simple while others are pain in all the "right" places. I'm in a situation when I just cannot find a 8V FL with options I want due very limited offer in my country. All the A3s seem to have the same list of options: the comfort and the business/connect package. Such goodies as color display, MMI Nav, Audi Sound System, etc are so rare. I'd like to ask you a few questions on upgrade options. Perhaps I don't need to wait for a dream car but do it myself as I've done to my current 2012 A3 SB?

- How hard or easy to replace a monochrome display with a color one? Do I only need to buy another instrument cluster or more work/replacement of parts is required?

- Does MMI Radio Plus have 5.8" or 7" display on a FL 8V? I didn't find an answer yet.

- Does standard sound system of 8 speakers any good or should I look for Audi Sound System or B&O? I test drove a saloon with *** and the sound was much better than in my 8PA. But how is the sound in a non-*** 8V FL? Is upgrade to *** possible/easy or the same level tough as upgrade to BOSE on a 8P? Can I replace the standard speakers with the *** ones? Would it improve the sound? What about fitting aftermarket speakers instead of the standart ones?

- There's a guide on replacing a PFL tail lights with the LED FL ones. But what about upgrading the FL standard lights to FL LED ones? Do we need to do anything other than replacing the clusters as the connectors should be the same?

- Can we fit an aftermarket rear view camera and make it show on the MMI Radio screen?

- Anyone has this Android HU? Is it any good? https://rsnav.com/products/7-android-6-0-navigation-unit-for-audi-a32013-2016

I would appreciate any advise.

I don't know the answers to most of your questions but I do know about the reversing camera. Yes, a genuine Audi camera can be fitted and it will show the picture on the MMI (with guidelines as well and in conjunction with parking sensors if fitted). It's quite complicated and needs not just the camera but another module and coding in order to work. There are threads on here about it. It's too complicated for me but a retrofitting company fitted a reversing camera in my current car. The trouble with retrofits is they are usually much more expensive than the option would have been if it had been factory fitted but I understand your situation.

Reactions: dp_motley and Kondax
I don't know the answers to most of your questions but I do know about the reversing camera. Yes, a genuine Audi camera can be fitted and it will show the picture on the MMI (with guidelines as well and in conjunction with parking sensors if fitted). It's quite complicated and needs not just the camera but another module and coding in order to work. There are threads on here about it. It's too complicated for me but a retrofitting company fitted a reversing camera in my current car. The trouble with retrofits is they are usually much more expensive than the option would have been if it had been factory fitted but I understand your situation.
I know that retrofitting an OEM reverse camera is possible. I saw a guide. It is complicated, though it's not as much complex as retrofitting bi-xenon headlights with auto levelling system and washers which I've done a year ago by myself. But I agree that it's expensive. That's why I asked about retrofitting an aftermarked camera. I have it on my 8P and works well enough for the price and effort. It doesn't have dynamic guidelines though, only static ones, and it's connected to an Android HU.

For those who cares. I talked with a salesman at local Audi yesterday and he said that all FL A3 have the same 7" MMI screen.

On the speakers, it looks like the *** has double as powerful speakers than the standard ones (and independence is different too). Does the standard sound system have an amplifier?

I'm interested in this too - I've ended up buying on condition rather than spec; but would like to add power-folding mirrors and a reverse camera - It's amazing how used to these things you get!

I just got the RS Nav unit that adds wireless CarPlay to our 8V platform. The thing works OK. I have two major issues with it that I haven’t found a solution to yet.

1. No Audio comes through the speakers as I cannot set my source to “Aux” as I don’t have that as an option in my stock MIB unit.
2. When you enable Siri, you also are activating the MIB audio input so you are talking to both systems at the same time.

At least I have Waze on my car now, and can see my text messages more easily and will hopefully be able to hear them and answer them.

I got the 3.5mm Audi adapter for the AMi and now the audio works great for my wireless CarPlay. Haven’t had too much chance to play with Siri yet.

Wireless Apple car play? Didn’t think that was available yet?

Edit: forget my comment. Just noticed you have gone down another MMI route!

I went aftermarket for my Pre FL. The RSNav has wireless car play you just need to trick the AMI to use Aux audio source and it uses the pre wired RSNav box.

FYI. The add on box does have input for two RCA port cameras.