Chipping a DSG

beaker

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this old topic back up but I've been scouring the previous posts and still can't find a conclusive resolution to whether it is OK to chip a DSG model - or more specifically the 2.0TDi DSG model.

Anyone on here got a chipped version of the diesel DSG? If so, where did you get it done and what are your thoughts on the change in performance.

I'm still thinking about it but need to speak to a reputable garage about it. Superchips in Glenrothes (I think) is probably the closest to me but I heard mixed feelings about them due to ned (chav) element surrounding it.

I'm near Perth so if anyone has any good recommendations nearby I'll check them out.

Try contacting superchips HQ in Bucks for advice & recommendation, the Tech giy there is called Jamie turvey and will be able to answer all of your queries regarding the DSG box, from memory I think they reduce the amount of torque in comparison to a remapped manual. I have had my last 2 Turbo diesels remapped by S/C and have been very satisfied with both the service & results but I have always made the trip to the HQ rather than use any of the local outlets - at least the drive home is enjoyable ! Probably not so relevant for you due to your location, try to ignore some of the Chav image associated with S/chips as it is not deserved, give them a call I know I never regretted it and once I have a few thousand on the GTi I will be making another visit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the torque limit on the DSG box is exactly the same as the torque limit on the multitronic box.. Mine was done at AMD on the rolling road, great service, v happy with the results..

Long way for you though!

I'm remapping my A3 Sportback 2.0Tdi DSG in November when the Revo switchable map is released.

It should give me time to put about 5k on the clock to ensure its bedded in OK.

I believe the rating for the DSG gearbox is similar to the manual, so I'm not sure a different map is necessary. However if there is a major difference, we'll reduce the torque and produce a specific map.

I thought it was decided that the DSG gearbox could handle far more than a remap could ever give?

Weren't VW using a DSG box for testing of a turbo 3.2 V6 or something, and said the gearbox was fine?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was decided that the DSG gearbox could handle far more than a remap could ever give?

Weren't VW using a DSG box for testing of a turbo 3.2 V6 or something, and said the gearbox was fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the guys in the states that do the 550hp kit, apparently did it on a R32 DSG for VW to test the box. According to the blurb, officially both DSG and manual boxes are rated to 350Nm, but the DSG may be artificially limited by the ECM, and not actual failing of mechanical parts.

No one ( public anyway ) know's for sure, and are understandably nervous about damaging 3-4k's worth of kit.

There has been a few GTI DSG's chipped over on UK Mkiv's, so you can try there for feedback.

A friend got his TDI DSG remapped at the end of April. It was done by Oettinger (via RSD).

He's not had any problems that I know of. It cost him about £700. Having driven it and compared it to my non remapped TDI, yes it's faster but not sure it's worth the money or insurance hassles.

i would agree with you garethh,i had mine done at rsd using the oettinger remap,because they match the audi warranty,as i had concerns about the dsg,and i took ages deciding,and im not %100 satisfied because it wasnt as big an improvment as i expected,maybe because its a smooth map which oettinger is renowned for,and its a lower torque gain than some of the others,i think i would go qst or forge etc next time though.

GarethH, What was the insurance hit for him?

Tinka, you had any problems with the DSG box afterwards?

What about the front tyres? They taking more of a beating now? The 18"s cost a bit to replace.

dont want to tempt fate but its ok,the map is very smooth and progresive,so the boost doesnt kick in all of a suden,another reason why it doesnt feel as quick as i was expecting.

only done about 21/2 k since the remap,so the tyres are ok,but i dont hammer it all the time as the box is always at the back of my mind,all i would say is take your time choosing and find out as much as you can about the dsg from each company,such as if they have done many remaps,with the dsg.

also as i found out you will only get wheel figures on rolling roads with auto,s and not flywheel figs,good hunting mate

I've been checking out the posts on the uk-mkiv forums as suggested and they don't seem to note any problems with chipping a DSG model. But then they mostly talk about the new GTI and I don't know if the DSG box in that is the same one I have.

I also stumbled across a place called Angel Tuning. Anyone had any experience of these guys? They are based in Leamington Spa but say they will come to you and the software (OBD?) route sounds interesting. I'm not really that techy on this stuff so I don't know what the performance difference would be to an actual chipped car.

I'm still not 100% on whether to get mine chipped but they offer a 14 day trial which sounds like a great chance to see what the upgrade offers in real terms.

I mostly use my car to get to work and back but its always nice to have more if the trade offs (mpg, tyre, insurance, etc.) are not too prohibitive. Plus we have some great back roads up this way!

i think the boxes are the same,the only limiting factor with them in diesels is the torque

Whats the difference with the torque?

I thought the new GTI puts out 207 lb/ft while the 2.0TDi is about 236lb/ft. Why would there be more limitation on the diesel if its base figures are higher?

dont understand it fully,but the dsg has torque limitations from what i can gather,and most remaps on diesels can exceed these,hence some remaps run lower torque curves,
im sure someone with a bit more knowledge than me will shed a bit more light on the subject,as i dont whant to give you a bum steer

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the difference with the torque?

I thought the new GTI puts out 207 lb/ft while the 2.0TDi is about 236lb/ft. Why would there be more limitation on the diesel if its base figures are higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

beaker, I think what tinka meant was that the official limit for DSG is 350Nm which even with a remap the GTI is unlikely to reach. The TDI is already very close to this and with a remap reaches 380Nm approx.

Ah, I see. I'm going to check over on mkivs again as I think some people have chipped their MkV TDi's. Same engine so would be good to see what they think.

If the limits need to be adhered to then its possible that the DSG versions won't see much improvement. I'm not taking the chance on destroying the DSG until I know its safe.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, I see. I'm going to check over on mkivs again as I think some people have chipped their MkV TDi's. Same engine so would be good to see what they think.

If the limits need to be adhered to then its possible that the DSG versions won't see much improvement. I'm not taking the chance on destroying the DSG until I know its safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

beaker, there are also members on here that have tuning boxes fitted to their DSG TDI A3. I don't recall any bad feedback from these members.

[ QUOTE ]
GarethH, What was the insurance hit for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his jumped from around £600 to £900 but he's got more points than most /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next year it's only going to cost him another £50 or so (he hopes)

Don't forget your MPG will also drop slightly after a remap.

For the record I went to Falkland in Glenrothes to have my TDI remapped and found them to be very professional and the results were as expected.

Don't let the image full you.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't forget your MPG will also drop slightly after a remap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you cane it. Drive it conservatively and you might even see an improvement (but why would you after having it remapped? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

yeah mines ok,on a trip to portsmouth the other day it went up to 59mpg on the dis,so driven normally no differance.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah mines ok,on a trip to portsmouth the other day it went up to 59mpg on the dis,so driven normally no differance.

[/ QUOTE ]

59! i must really take that brick off the accelerator (or stop resting my right left foot on the brake!)

45mpg seems to be the highest i can get!

i have a mr hoot digital tuning box for sale for the 140bhp if anyone's interested? (45mpg is without the box)

bought it only to discover my car was already chipped by the previous owner and the box through the car into a coughing fit :-(