Chinese carplay unit success in B8 with MMI 3G basic

Ok so further to my post above and after reading the whole tread . I have 2 issues, both mentioned before but I can't see a resolution so I am hoping someone can help with please:

1: As above, the original mic will not be picked up by Android Auto so I can't control the unit via voice. The original mic works fine for phone calls though AA if dialed from the AA interface but I suspect this is because the phone routes the call to the car bluetooth). If I plug the supplied mic in then GA works but the phone quality is poor. I have tried Switch 8 up and down.

2: The unit does not detect when the car is put in reverse so the rear camera screen does not show and 12v is not output on the yellow wire to turn the camera on. If I use “reverse line detect” and put +12v into the unit via the purple wire, the unit switches to camera view however this means that I will have to try and use the reverse light bulb feed to trigger the unit and turn the camera on but then I have the whole “canbus won't work with engine running” issue so not really an option either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either of these please?

Many thanks Pete

Hi Rafa5 , did you get this issue sorted please as I have the exact same problem. The original car mic will work fine for phone call but when I call up the Google assistant in Android Auto it doesn't hear me though the original car mic so I no voice control in AA? If I plug the mic that came with the unit in then GA works but the clarity on calls is nowhere near as good as the original car system. My temp bodge is to have both mics installed but it not ideal as sometimes calls use the wrong one and people can't hear me properly :-(

You need to install the microphone that is included in the carplay interface, your original oem bluetooth microphone works for the tlephone calls, amd the carplay mic is for google assistant instructions.
In your smartphone settings under your bluetotth settings, you can choose your oem bluetooth for phone calls and for the carplay the other.

Regards.

You need to install the microphone that is included in the carplay interface, your original oem bluetooth microphone works for the tlephone calls, amd the carplay mic is for google assistant instructions.
In your smartphone settings under your bluetotth settings, you can choose your oem bluetooth for phone calls and for the carplay the other.

Regards.
Thanks , I was hoping to get back to only one mic but can live with two and hadn't thought about disabling the "phone call" profile in the Carplay bluetooth device on my phone so will give that a try. If it works, and I can't see why it won't, then I just need to sort the reversing camera issues and I will be a happy bunny :) Thanks again

Regards.
Unfortunately that didn't work as with the car play unit set to use the car BT (it its settings screen) and the BT phone call profile disabled on the phone, AA used the phone speaker and mic for phone calls :-( Turning off the phone profile seems to tell AA than it doesn't have a BT phone to use) If I set the unit not to use car BT then AA tuns the phone profile on the phone back on automatically and uses it so it always seems to use the car play unit mic

OK so I think I have sorted the 2 mic solution. To get it to work I needed to set the unit Dip switch to be "no Bluetooth" (this gets the GA working from the 2nd aftermarket mic) but then in the carplay unit software setting I had to set the opposite, i.e to use car bluetooth, and that seems to tell AA there is no Bluetooth available to the phone but the phone itself sees the car Bluetooth so seems to use that. A bit messing and I need to test some more but it seems to work

Reactions: All-rod
Just to update anyone having the same issues, I have now found a work around for the reversing camera as well.
For the camera, I ended up tapping into the reserve light feed. It didn't work connecting the camera directly to the reverse wire due to the CANBUS issue but using one of these £5 units 12v DC Power Relay CANBUS Car Rear View Backup Camera For VW Audi Skoda Vauxhall | eBay sorted that. I also used that feed to trigger the carplay unit via the purple wire.

All in all it is working well (wireless Android Auto) now and for the £140 it cost me I am very happy.

Thanks Pete for your feedback, happy for you to sorted the issues. in next coming weeks I'll install my rear parking camera, will see.

Regards

Can anyone recommend a version to fit a 2010 with no mmi concert with b&o system fitted please

I got this and I have a 2011 no MMI concert withOUT B&O. However I believe there are different wiring kits for various models so contact the seller before purchase with your car/system details and they can then supply the correct one . They asked me to send a photo of of my head unit /dash so then could confirm and the LVDS lead they suppled fitted my car but was different to the one shown in the ad pictures

Reactions: glenandem
Hopefully some of you knowledgeable lot can help me!
I've got the exact same setup as seantdi I this thread. The Chinese carplay box and motormax camera.

I've been given a wire guide by the seller of the Chinese box. As far as I can tell I'm supposed to wire up the yellow wire from the Chinese box to the red 12+ wire on the camera. I don't wire up the ground from the box. I do wire the ground from the camera in the boot and I connect the yellow coax video cable to the rear input from the Chinese box.
On the box I set the camera to aftermarket.

Upon doing this the camera should work... Is that correct? I'm getting no video signal and thinking it could be my ground.

I've attached pictures of the wires.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_183926__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20210307_183926__01__01.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 251
Hi, thanks for the reply.

My camera is wired differently to the diagram above. I have a yellow coax cable for the video and a 3.5mm jack for the rest. At the boot end it breaks out and has a ground and a reverse light connection.

As mine is automatic I believe mine should just connect to ground in the boot. Yellow from the box to the red wire of the camera. There is also a ground on the box end but not sure if I should be connecting that or not.

I just can't get it to work. I've tried emailing motormax for help but they ignore you... I think they only like Halfords fitting the camera for you and a stupid cost. I'd just buy one of these other cameras but I've already been stung for £70 on this one I've got.

Go to the main settings on the unit and then go down to CarPlay/android auto and there should be a number of options saying top, bottom, left, right, I changed the number on the top option to 13 and it brought the screen down perfect when I go into the CarPlay. Trail and error to get the perfect number could be a different number if your using android auto

It took me some time to update the unit to version A_V1.1.5 from 1.0.3 as shipped last year.
I contacted the ali seller, and he provided me with instructions (5025) and link to the firmware. I had to take out the unit again since I never needed the USB plug and did not install it originally...

After updating, the option to size the screen to fit the low res BNAV MMI now works.
The top, bottom etc. options were there before, but didn't do anything in the old version. It's not a huge deal, but things do look better now.

Fitted the Carplay unit this evening. I bought mine from Elite CarPlay - https://www.elitecarplay.co.uk/ - saw a post from him on one of the Audi Facebook forums offering the kit for HNav car's such as mine for £180 instead of the £359 that he usually charges so took advantage of the offer! I thought it was a great deal considering these kits are around £150-170 from Aliexpress anyways but without the UK support he can provide. Kit arrived next day Royal Mail Next Day Signed For delivery packaged with instructions & a bag of Haribo.

I had some trouble setting it all up as I'm very mechanically challenged...this is the first time I've altered anything/undone things on a car ever! But anyways, managed to do it with some help & troubleshooting from Elite CarPlay. He responded really quickly to all my questions which is the benefit of buying from a UK seller rather than getting a box from Aliexpress. Cheaper than the offering from UniqueAutoDevelopments too! I'd highly recommend buying from Elite if you want to do this mod.

I also dropped the glove box & routed the cabling through to get the box to sit behind the glove box as suggested by Elite instead of trying to cram it all into the Centre console. There really is not a lot of space back there with all the wiring so it seems to make more sense to me. A bit more hassle with getting the glovebox off & back on + requires an 8mm socket & ratchet but worth doing. You can also route the wiring for USB Wired AndroidAuto/Apple CarPlay & wires for installing rear/front cameras into the glove box through an existing hole that way too which might be handy for anyone looking to do this in the future.
Pictures below...
63oTAuH.jpeg

TcDv4Qj.jpeg

Attachments

• survVk1.jpeg
    survVk1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 288
Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
Hi guys.
After upgrade today my smartphone to android 11 operating system, still no wireless connection possible!!!!!
Can somebody explain me HOW to connect wireless?
which wifi interface channel , 6, 36 or 149?
setup on the smartphone?
why if you connect to wifi the interface, the smartphone things that you have an internet connection and any application runs?

Thanks in advance

I thought these systems were offered wireless for Apple CarPlay and that Android Auto needed a wired connection.

You need to activate Wireless projection from Android auto developer options. It doesn't matter which android version you have. And it works very well. (I still have Android 10).

You need to activate Wireless projection from Android auto developer options. It doesn't matter which android version you have. And it works very well. (I still have Android 10).
I tried this before but doesn't work for me....
Which wifi channel you have defined on the interface 6, 36 or 149?
On your smartphone, you have connected bluetooth and wifi connection to the interface?

I tried this before but doesn't work for me....
Which wifi channel you have defined on the interface 6, 36 or 149?
On your smartphone, you have connected bluetooth and wifi connection to the interface?
What phone are you using? I've got it working with S10, S10e, pixel and S20

Great news!!!!!
After many many testings with my smartphone, now the wireless works!!!!
I don't know what happened before, because always the setup was the same, developer settings with screen projection, AA setup with wireless option, but yesterday finally works!!
Some things that I can realize is it takes some time to start AA since you start the car (maybe 20 seconds +-) and the high battery consumption in this wireless mode.
I can check too, that at the begining when the interface is just started, bluetooth connection is up, but when wifi links with the interface, bluetooth connection ended.

Thanks all for your support

Reactions: Nitro_CR
Hey guys. Everything was working fine till 3 days go, no iphone can connect to CarPlay... one on 14.4.1 and the other on 14.4.2.
Might have to update? And how to?
- SDK Version 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
- Cust version v2.1.0.6.ly.a
- MCU version 20.5.31.16
- HW version audi_hdmi
The câmera still works as usual...

It took me some time to update the unit to version A_V1.1.5 from 1.0.3 as shipped last year.
I contacted the ali seller, and he provided me with instructions (5025) and link to the firmware. I had to take out the unit again since I never needed the USB plug and did not install it originally...

After updating, the option to size the screen to fit the low res BNAV MMI now works.
The top, bottom etc. options were there before, but didn't do anything in the old version. It's not a huge deal, but things do look better now.
Hi Willem8T,
I have also the 3g basic and I'm interested in installing the box. You got that one https://a.aliexpress.com/_TIh39 I think? How did you manage to get the delivery: Did you just order the interface for an HNAV? Did you experience any problems using the interface for a while now?

Thanks a lot!

I've just ordered this front parking camera to add to my existing UAD install. It'll be fitted in about a month's time, when the car goes in for servicing and MOT.

Same idea, but the housing is rectangular to fit the B8 grille (hopefully). :)
I took the wires through the ECU box, I managed to feed it through and existing wiring gromit into the engine bay, the other end dropped just above the pedals, then run it to the back of the radio

Reactions: jdp1962
I took the wires through the ECU box, I managed to feed it through and existing wiring gromit into the engine bay, the other end dropped just above the pedals, then run it to the back of the radio
That's useful info, thanks @Boundy . I'll let my installer know.

@Boundy , do you know if there's also a route through the bulkhead on the passenger side? I only ask because my CarPlay unit is located behind the glovebox, and it will make the installer's job shorter if he doesn't have to run the cable across the back of the dash behind the climate and stereo etc.

@Boundy , do you know if there's also a route through the bulkhead on the passenger side? I only ask because my CarPlay unit is located behind the glovebox, and it will make the installer's job shorter if he doesn't have to run the cable across the back of the dash behind the climate and stereo etc.
No idea mate

Reactions: jdp1962
Yay at long last I finally fitted it, took longer to get the cheapo keys out of the headunit!
So where do I get the firmware updates?
Think I might be a bit behind
IMG 20210608 122614

I can't see the first few lines of the top of the screen.
Also having wireless issues with android 10, seems to be baked as part of the OS now so can't get to dev options. (11 is due out for my Mi 9SE any day now)
Also if you connect to it over wifi then don't you lose you internet connectivity? Sorry I'm confused.

Just enabling aux in the green screen to seem to fix the audio issues.
All dip switches to off that was odd :)

and for the hackers out there, looks to be some fun in that firmware

Code:
DECIMAL       HEXADECIMAL     DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1056          0x420           uImage header, header size: 64 bytes, header CRC: 0xA564AEE2, created: 2020-12-22 13:55:13, image size: 736 bytes, Data Address: 0x0, Entry Point: 0x0, data CRC: 0x1280AD68, OS: Linux, CPU: ARM, image type: Script file, compression type: none, image name: "Init update script"
17408         0x4400          uImage header, header size: 64 bytes, header CRC: 0x5D3307FB, created: 2020-12-22 13:53:30, image size: 662284 bytes, Data Address: 0x200000, Entry Point: 0x200000, data CRC: 0xE9754654, OS: Linux, CPU: ARM, compression type: none, image name: "uboot_demo_v1.0"
358336        0x577C0         CRC32 polynomial table, little endian
679936        0xA6000         uImage header, header size: 64 bytes, header CRC: 0xEEA0D148, created: 2020-12-22 13:53:30, image size: 4911864 bytes, Data Address: 0x7024000, Entry Point: 0x7024040, data CRC: 0xDE97D80A, OS: Linux, CPU: ARM, image type: Standalone Program, compression type: none, image name: "ecos_demo_v1.0"
821777        0xC8A11         Certificate in DER format (x509 v3), header length: 4, sequence length: 1464
824821        0xC95F5         Certificate in DER format (x509 v3), header length: 4, sequence length: 1284
2298185       0x231149        Certificate in DER format (x509 v3), header length: 4, sequence length: 1436
3620920       0x374038        Unix path: /dev/hde/0
3760200       0x396048        Copyright string: "Copyright String Length: %d,"
3760232       0x396068        Copyright string: "Copyright: %s,"
3820224       0x3A4AC0        MySQL ISAM index file Version 6
3821734       0x3A50A6        MySQL MISAM index file Version 4
3823487       0x3A577F        MySQL ISAM compressed data file Version 1
3824231       0x3A5A67        MySQL MISAM index file Version 9
3836136       0x3A88E8        MySQL ISAM compressed data file Version 5
3838026       0x3A904A        MySQL MISAM compressed data file Version 1
3838149       0x3A90C5        MySQL ISAM index file Version 5
3846489       0x3AB159        MySQL MISAM index file Version 7
3926373       0x3BE965        MySQL MISAM index file Version 2
3926535       0x3BEA07        MySQL MISAM index file Version 2
4359844       0x4286A4        CRC32 polynomial table, big endian
5367032       0x51E4F8        Unix path: /etc/bluetooth/auto_pair_devlist.conf
5388744       0x5239C8        Copyright string: "Copyright (c) 2008-2012 RDA inc."
5554808       0x54C278        Unix path: /home/robert/work/sphe8388/grr/non-release/ecos/ecos-kernel/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx
5571412       0x550354        EBML file
5572372       0x550714        ELF, 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV)
5573514       0x550B8A        Unix path: /home/squall.ko/Gemini_NCM_0801_rls/ecos/modules/gsl_hello
5592064       0x555400        uImage header, header size: 64 bytes, header CRC: 0x6CA670F1, created: 2020-12-22 13:54:16, image size: 2082344 bytes, Data Address: 0x408000, Entry Point: 0x408000, data CRC: 0xC5CFD26C, OS: Linux, CPU: ARM, image type: OS Kernel Image, compression type: none, image name: "Linux-3.4.5"
5592128       0x555440        Linux kernel ARM boot executable zImage (little-endian)
5608087       0x559297        gzip compressed data, maximum compression, from Unix, last modified: 1970-01-01 00:00:00 (null date)
7674880       0x751C00        Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0, compression:gzip (non-standard type definition), size: 4359327 bytes, 478 inodes, blocksize: 131072 bytes, created: 2020-12-22 13:54:53
12037120      0xB7AC00        Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0, compression:gzip (non-standard type definition), size: 52421848 bytes, 662 inodes, blocksize: 131072 bytes, created: 2020-12-22 13:54:57
64461824      0x3D79C00       Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0, compression:gzip (non-standard type definition), size: 12928068 bytes, 119 inodes, blocksize: 131072 bytes, created: 2020-12-22 13:55:10
95936512      0x5B7E000       uImage header, header size: 64 bytes, header CRC: 0x9A87A834, created: 2020-12-22 13:55:13, image size: 103798 bytes, Data Address: 0x0, Entry Point: 0x0, data CRC: 0x5F2873C2, OS: Linux, CPU: ARM, image type: Script file, compression type: none, image name: "main update script"

HEEELLLPPP!!!
Fitted my 3rd one of these today to the wife’s car and I cannot get sound out of it! Have put them in mine and a mates car perfect but not the wife’s - worst persons to not work in!!! ‍♂️
everything is in right, car play fires up, can dictate to google maps etc, songs are playing but no sound at all. Go back to the radio and it’s fine?? I can’t help think it’s something to do with the MMI port the glove box? Would it be looking for that instead of through my phone?
Have tried all sorts of combinations with the toggle switches but just can’t get it to work. Any suggestions please?
pics of toggle switches and MMI in the glove box if it helps…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 171
I’ve been having another problem. My car battery drains superfast and after 4 or 5 days I cant power it. My believe is that this chinese box doesn’t power off and keeps consuming battery. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Just went to the mechanic. It really keeps consuming 0,3amp/h, in 4 or 5 days with the car stopped the battery will die. Is there any option on the system to turn it off when the key is out? Even when I get out of the car, close it and for some reason answer a phone call near the car, it assumes “carplay832b00” on the Bluetooth for a while. I even thought of a kill switch to turn it off. Can someone give a hint on this? Any blown fuse I should change, any setting I should choose on the system? Regards.

What the heck is MMI? I have a 2009 Cabrio with Nav, no Bose, no B&O. I want Apple Car Play and Android Play.

What the heck is MMI? I have a 2009 Cabrio with Nav, no Bose, no B&O. I want Apple Car Play and Android Play.
Multi Media Interface I believe.

I've bought a kit from Bavarian Automotive which is coming tomorrow, so hoping to fit this weekend. The kit was £230.