Chinese carplay unit success in B8 with MMI 3G basic

An I ask to the guys with this working.
Can you use the car radio but have maps from the phone on the screen.
Thanks

Sorry if I have missed the answer but I have got the Audi Concert Basic with no factory Bluetooth, AUX in the arm rest, single SD slot in the dash and no controls by the gearstick.
Which option of the systems would I need to fit with my system please? Wired set up is fine, not too bothered about wireless!
Thank you.

Hi, I have a 2011 A5 with BNAV and the carplay unit I bought works pretty well. Basically just have the same issues everyone else has (top lines of the display are cut off, parking sensors don't move on reverse cam graphics etc). I only wanted it to make listening to music easier and using Waze instead of the factory maps and it works fine for all of that.

I got my unit from RoadTop Carplay on Aliexpress. I remember them also having a separate store page with a similar name that has direct stock in Europe. I bought mine from China with the following link though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000979755773.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.473f4c4dZw2OwU

I'm not sure if the seller realises the MMI Basic is different to the higher end 3G units but they insisted it would work with my car and it does but I'm assuming they might start saying the unit is incompatible like all other sellers do.

I do have a slight issue with the reverse camera though that's probably worth mentioning. I don't get any voltage out of the reverse camera wire/pin on the unit which means if/when I fit a reverse camera I would have to splice into the reverse light wiring or use the 12v constant feed from the unit and fit it with a switch to turn the camera on and off at will. Unsure if this is because my car only has rear sensors and therefore doesn't have the PDC button on the dash or could just be there's something not soldered on properly inside the box.

Also Android Auto is refusing to go into dark mode. It used to be fine until the app updated a few months ago. I've seen other people with the same issue on reddit though with cars that come with factory head units so seems like more of an issue on Google's side but still something to consider.

Big thanks to Boundy for this thread though otherwise I'd have never have taken the plunge!

hello my unit arrived today my only issue is the toggle switch what way do I need to have it to support the BNAV Audi A5? What way did you set your switches?

You need to run the video coax to the handle so I see little point in cutting into the car loom as the the camera is normally supplied with a coax/power combi cable, just connect this to the camera power feed that's already in the carplay box loom, and run a ground from the camera to a bolt in the tail gate

hello my unit arrived today my only issue is the toggle switch what way do I need to have it to support the BNAV Audi A5? What way did you set your switches?

Have the unit installed now all hidden in behind the original one working perfect, the top of the screen was slightly cut off but was able to adjust and fix this in the settings, also have the reverse camera installed and working so 100% worth the £120 including postage. Thanks again to everyone in this thread.

Go to the main settings on the unit and then go down to CarPlay/android auto and there should be a number of options saying top, bottom, left, right, I changed the number on the top option to 13 and it brought the screen down perfect when I go into the CarPlay. Trail and error to get the perfect number could be a different number if your using android auto

I don’t know how to upload pictures but double checked and it’s main set up - CarPlay/android auto - then I clicked top scrap and changed the number to 12

The unit is working great no issues, I’m using it for Apple CarPlay wirelessly but I’ve just tried to connect my wife’s android and can’t figure out how to do it? Anyone set up android auto on this? She has a huawei p30 pro.

Hi guys. So I have a 2013 B8.5 A5 black edition.

it has the basic radio. I think it’s Audi concert. No controls by the gearstick, no aux or anything like that. It just has the AMI port in the glove box.

will this andream Ali express unit work in my car? It doesn’t have Nav

The unit is working great no issues, I’m using it for Apple CarPlay wirelessly but I’ve just tried to connect my wife’s android and can’t figure out how to do it? Anyone set up android auto on this? She has a huawei p30 pro.
Huawei P30 pro might not have Google services, thanks to Trump, android auto included. Check that and how to install them.

Excuse the weird heavy breathing, I think the phone was a bit close to my face and the microphone seemed to pick it up.

Wired Android Auto

Wireless Android Auto

Wired Apple Carplay

Wireless Apple Carplay

First of all, thank you very much to share with all of us your installation and help us.

I recently installed the android auto interface and I suspect that NOT all android smartphones has the feature to wireless ,at least what I discovered is if you don't have android 11 operating system, this feature doesn't works!!!!

Dou you get that android assistant works? Do you have oem bluetooth? if yes, how do you have it in the toogle switch, on or off?

For radio I have simple radio app and for my music Pulse Music Player, it works perfectly, BUT, google assistant is totally unable to start the radio stations or music folders!!!!

Thanks so much

Google assistant will not be able to contol anything on the car, they are not connected, you can only use it to contol apps and services you already have installed on your phone. I launch it by long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel

apologies if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but I noticed there is an update function in the menu, protected by pincode.

Is it possible get future updates for this andream-aliexpress unit and what is the pincode?
It might have been written on the unit itself but unfortunately it's already behind the dash :)

Google assistant will not be able to contol anything on the car, they are not connected, you can only use it to contol apps and services you already have installed on your phone. I launch it by long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel

Thanks for your quick answer.
I knew that you cannot use google assistant wth the car, only on the apps that you have on the smartphone. The question is that I cannot start any app from google assistant when its launched from voice button onthe steering wheel!!!

Wich apps you use to listen music and hear radio stations? as i explained before, on my "pulsar music player" and "simple radio" apps, suposedly compatibles with android auto, google assistant doesn't be able to start it!!

Thanks

Youtube music (if you have premium), Spotify for music (and fure sure others). For radio, myradio or tune in.

apologies if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but I noticed there is an update function in the menu, protected by pincode.

Is it possible get future updates for this andream-aliexpress unit and what is the pincode?
It might have been written on the unit itself but unfortunately it's already behind the dash :)

Not sure what you mean about a pin code.

My unit was an earlier one that came without wireless android auto, the seller later sent me a firmware update that gave me the functionality

Not sure what you mean about a pin code.

just checked, it's not pincode, the unit says password instead.
after selecting upgrade I get the prompt.
(sorry for the dusty screen :) )

I've included a photo of the System info
Upgrade Password Version

Try 5025 that might work for you!

I think a purchase will be made shortly for this one:
£166.49 30% Off | Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto Module For Audi B9 A5/S5/A4/A3 A6 A7 A8 Q2 Q3 Q5 Q7 B9 S5 MMI System Support Mirror
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLLrRFV
I have messaged the seller and they have said will support my car.
What reverse camera is everyone using with their please?

I think a purchase will be made shortly for this one:
£166.49 30% Off | Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto Module For Audi B9 A5/S5/A4/A3 A6 A7 A8 Q2 Q3 Q5 Q7 B9 S5 MMI System Support Mirror
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLLrRFV
I have messaged the seller and they have said will support my car.
What reverse camera is everyone using with their please?
I’d double check if I were you before placing the order. That’s for the B9 and you’ve told us you have a B8.

I have messaged them with all my details and they said it will fit... I thought the same too, but in the description it does have a4 09-18 listed as a vehicle it fits?

Reactions: jdp1962
Finally the issue with microphone is fixed....changed the switch number 8 on the toogle switch and works!!!

What is going on is the issue with google assistant, still imposible to open any radio station or music with my apps!!!!

Another question, when you have the wired android auto, after the car starts and the link is on with your smartphone and the interface, the screen goes automatically to android auto, or you need previously to click "wireauto".

Thanks

I have had the confirmation that the unit will fit, so a purchase will be happening shortly. But I am looking at a camera too... does anyone have the camera built in to the boot handle button?

I have had the confirmation that the unit will fit, so a purchase will be happening shortly. But I am looking at a camera too... does anyone have the camera built in to the boot handle button?
I do; mine came from Unique Auto Developments. Click here.

Have the unit installed now all hidden in behind the original one working perfect, the top of the screen was slightly cut off but was able to adjust and fix this in the settings, also have the reverse camera installed and working so 100% worth the £120 including postage. Thanks again to everyone in this thread.
do you have a link to the unit you have

Cheers

What is going on is the issue with google assistant, still imposible to open any radio station or music with my apps!!!!

I long press the voice button on the steering wheel to activate google assistant, a short press activates Audis built in voice control.

Received and fitted today... love it mostly. However missing 2 major functions... I can only use the steering wheel controls to scrol the menus and the mic wire they have sent me has got the wrong connectors! Have messaged them to see if they can help - am I missing anything have got the toggles set the way the instructions are saying 000101 then 1 for no factory Bluetooth but I am at a loss!
Any ideas??
Thanks.

Received and fitted today... love it mostly. However missing 2 major functions... I can only use the steering wheel controls to scrol the menus and the mic wire they have sent me has got the wrong connectors! Have messaged them to see if they can help - am I missing anything have got the toggles set the way the instructions are saying 000101 then 1 for no factory Bluetooth but I am at a loss!
Any ideas??
Thanks.
With the help of the seller everything is installed and working 100%. Made up with the system, gone from using an FM connector to having everything on the voice command button on the steering wheel. Can’t recommend the system enough to any one who is unsure. Also, thanks to Boundy for starting the thread!!!

Hi Rafa5 , did you get this issue sorted please as I have the exact same problem. The original car mic will work fine for phone call but when I call up the Google assistant in Android Auto it doesn't hear me though the original car mic so I no voice control in AA? If I plug the mic that came with the unit in then GA works but the clarity on calls is nowhere near as good as the original car system. My temp bodge is to have both mics installed but it not ideal as sometimes calls use the wrong one and people can't hear me properly :-(