Chinese carplay unit success in B8 with MMI 3G basic

Boundy

Reaction score
Hi Guys, if anyone is considering 1 of these units, I managed to find a seller on Ali Express that's ship's from the EU and works with the 3G basic that's fitted to pfl A4'S. Works well with iPhone and my S10, fitted in less than an hour and supports wireless car play and cameras.

These units are not the best but can add a nice bit of functionality to an older car for not much money.

£173.12 30%OFF | Wireless CarPlay Interface Box For AUDI A5/A4 Original Screen Upgrade MMI System Support Mirror Link Aftermarket Camera
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WKFz5xO9V

Did you use your original screen that came with the car ?

Yeah, the low resolution of the 3G basic/low is not ideal but using the steering wheel controls to go through Spotify and have the song info displayed is well worth it. The voice activation button now launches Google assistant, so makes it a doddle to use navigation. The sound quality is no worse than the cheepy Bluetooth ami adapter I was already using

Reactions: Marky007
20191117 113643

Reactions: Marky007
I've also just noticed that the Android Auto app has updated the this week and it now looks more like Apple Carplay. I think the Apple solution is a little better to use even though I'm a Samsung user

Yeah am Samsung myself a have android auto in van it's great....

I’m interested in this, how easy was it to install? Has it interfered with the mmi in a bad way, buttons still function correctly?
I’ve got mmi 3g high, do you think this is compatible?
I’ve never bought anything from Ali Express before, I guess there isn’t much warranty and/or support from there?
Sorry for the questions, a unit like this could probably stop me changing cars for another couple of years do I’m keen.

I’m interested in this, how easy was it to install? Has it interfered with the mmi in a bad way, buttons still function correctly?
I’ve got mmi 3g high, do you think this is compatible?
I’ve never bought anything from Ali Express before, I guess there isn’t much warranty and/or support from there?
Sorry for the questions, a unit like this could probably stop me changing cars for another couple of years do I’m keen.
I think you'll find each version of MMI needs a different add-on CarPlay/Android unit, to ensure compatibility.

The unit I linked will do both, only issue I have is getting the parking sensors to overlay correctly when in reverse, it beeps as it should but the graphic doesn't move.

Control of the system is nice and easy with the mmi wheel or steering wheel buttons.

Support from the Chinese sellers will vary, its a pain that they are 8 hours ahead, so can take time to get answers. Unit shipped from Spain, so no cutomes to worry about.

Installation took about 20 minutes, it's just plug and play.

I've also done a camera, which took considerably longer, as you need to pull a fair bit of the car apart to install.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
I’ll contact the seller tonight and will probably bite the bullet before the weekend.
Thanks again.

Had you sat nav originally in the car?
Also any idea if a reverse camera can be added to this if the car hasn't one as standard?

Had you sat nav originally in the car?
Also any idea if a reverse camera can be added to this if the car hasn't one as standard?

The car had Dvd based nav. MMI 3G basic/low. A reverse camera has been added, a cheepy from aliexpress, was only £13, works with dynamic reversing lines

Reactions: Seantdi
Think mine is 3g high. Has nav and built in hard drive. Controls around the gear lever and 2 sd card slots

Just an extra note, reverse camera is a bit jumpy, I think it's the power supply, just waiting for a capacitor to smooth out the power because when you unplug the camera the reverse lines still move on the screen with the steering but don't jump, will update when fitted. Still not managed to get the graphic display of the parking sensors to overlay the reverse image correctly. The animation is there but the distance lines don't move
20191123 005345

Cheers. I'm guessing all the normal functions that show on the screen also work as normal?
Do you need a certain type of phone to connet or will it work with most phones?

Easy switch in and out of the system using the media button, will work with any fairy recent iPhone or android. You must have aux in, via 3.5mm jack or have AMI fitted. A little quirk I noticed, I need to have the 3.5mm ami adaptor plugged in or I get now sound, because you can't select the external media option of nothing is plugged into the ami port

Guess it wired for android phone? Will calls be routed via this or factory Bluetooth do you know?
I have the ami port in the glove box but don't have an aux/3.5mm input in the arm rest??

Calls come through factory bluetooth but phone book and call history is on the android system, so don't need to leave interface to make a call, you just use voice command button on steering wheel and ask to call Joe blogs krr search for the number of a business or use rotary wheel to go through your contacts. Wireless only works with Pixel phones for Android Auto or newer iPhone for carplay. I had to buy a 3.5mm aux AMI lead, £3 from amazon, it just needs to be plugged in so you can select AUX/AMI on the media source, nothing needs to be in the other end. I bought a panel mount USB extension cable and installed it in the arm rest, I had where are car without AMI would have the 3.5mm jack

Thanks for the info mate. Thinking strongly of getting one.
Do you use Spotify on yours? If so what's the quality like?

I use Spotify all the time, sound quality is no worse than normal Bluetooth quality. Being able to hit the steering wheel button and ask it to play whatever or drive to abc place, massive outweigh the slight quirks of the system

I tried with both ipod lead and the USB 1 and I found the ipod lead didn't work (might with an ipod plugged in) and the USB would only work when a thumb drive was plugged in but because the system hijacks the signal from the rotary dial and you leave the system set to AUX input. When navigating around the android interface you would also be navigating around the files on the thumb drive. Was just easier to leave 'dumb' AMI adapter plugged in so no risk of selecting stuff in the background

Nice one mate! I really want to fit a reverse camera but one of these would be cheaper than retrofitting one. Plus the added bonus of the likes of Google maps and Spotify.

I'm guessing the difference between yours and ones on ebay are ebay ones are already in the country? They are almost twice the price!

The one I linked above from Aliexpress ships from Spain, only took 3 days and no risk of import duty as it was already in the EU. Seller refunded me £35 because we couldn't get the parking sensor overlay to work with the reverse camera image, which is fair enough because most sellers say its not fully compatible with the MMI 3G basic because of the low resolution screen

£11.38 23%OFF | HD CCD Reverse Rear Camera For Audi A4 A5 S5 Q5 VW Passat Tiguan Golf Passat Touran Jetta Sharan Touareg Car Trunk Handle Camera
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/3lTpTPLix

But its the wrong 1, you need 1 without parking lines as the unit itself overlays the lines

Would this fit a 2010 a4 b8 s line with a concert radio buy I fitted an ami unit in glovebox since I bought it?l bug I did have the line out plug under the arm rest!
Plus I have a bang & olufson sound system fitted would it fit with that ok too?

Agh shame, I seen this kit on eBay that will fit a concert but its double the price!
I’ll have to have a browse as there must be a kit on there that will fit!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183623488919
I bought mine from that firm, albeit directly from its website rather than eBay. It might be more expensive but it works perfectly (including the camera which integrated fully with the on board PDC) and there’s online support for any questions. They also make sure you’ll get the right unit for your car, compatibility-wise. Up to you to decide if that’s worth the extra cost; it was for me.

Reactions: glenandem