Chinese carplay unit success in B8 with MMI 3G basic

Hi, could you please make a short video od the features? I'm interested in Android Auto. Can you control it only using steering wheel? Does it use the car microphone? Does it affect the original MMI system on background when you use the buttons? Is the 3G Basic screen resolution enough?

Thank you very much

Can't get it to work.
Should I be going into air play or auto link??

I didn't go into either, the unit just popped up in the main screen with a box you could click and then it connected. It might be because your phone is not officially supported yet, its only Nexus, Pixel and Galaxy S10 series that are officially supported

Reactions: Seantdi
Hi, could you please make a short video od the features? I'm interested in Android Auto. Can you control it only using steering wheel? Does it use the car microphone? Does it affect the original MMI system on background when you use the buttons? Is the 3G Basic screen resolution enough?

Thank you very much

For the most part this system is great but its not perfect.

From the perspective of it fitted to a MMI 3G Low/basic, its pretty good.

Pros.
System is controlled via the MMI controls. You enter the system via the media button when aux is selected, so it won't be selecting stuff in the background. Rotary dial for to move around the interface click it in to select, back button for back, left and right track skip buttons work as they should for Spotify, ect. Steering wheel controls work as expected, left wheel for moving round the screen click in to select, voice control button activates Google assistant. There is no back button on the steering wheel, so will still need to use mmi controller.

The fact that this system is not designed for these inputs means its not perfect but I'm impressed with what they have managed to achieve.
Bare in mind that Android Auto is designed to work from your voice, so you can keep your eyes on the road, navigation or finding a song on Spotify is best done with your voice.

You can easily add a reverse camera and a front camera. Rear camera works with dynamic trajectory lines.

The unit itself is plug and play with no wire cutting and fits in neatly behind the aircon controls.

Uses original car microphone.

Its pretty wife friendly.

Brings an old system bag up to date.

Cons. Some only relevant to the 3G basic

On the low resolution screen of the 3G basic, the maps lack definition, best run the map in dark mode.
The system cuts a few lines off the top of the screen, you can see the time or signal icon (AA isn't designed to run this low res, so doesn't scale 100%) that being said, it's good enough.

Reverse camera has a bit of flicker, same problem as above, worked fine with high res screen, I can live with it and so can the wife, so it can't be that bad.

The graphic for front and rear parking sensors doesn't seem to work with 3G basic/low or 3G high but I'm pretty sure it does with 3G+.

Wireless AA seems to be a bit hit or miss.

Cost of the system and its many copies can vary from vendor to vendor and so can their support.

On balance I think it's a worth while upgrade for an aging system but don't expect it to be as good as a manufacturers intergrated system that they would of spent alot of time and money on R&D to get it working just right. Same goes for the very similar systems offered by some UK sellers, as I'm sure they worked hard with the Chinese vendors to build a custom firmware that works a bit better and being UK based would be able to offer better support for their buyers but ultimately that costs money so you end up paying more, it really comes down to cost vs convenience

Last edited:
Reactions: Seantdi and jdp1962
For the most part this system is great but its not perfect.

From the perspective of it fitted to a MMI 3G Low/basic, its pretty good.

Pros.
System is controlled via the MMI controls. You enter the system via the media button when aux is selected, so it won't be selecting stuff in the background. Rotary dial for to move around the interface click it in to select, back button for back, left and right track skip buttons work as they should for Spotify, ect. Steering wheel controls work as expected, left wheel for moving round the screen click in to select, voice control button activates Google assistant. There is no back button on the steering wheel, so will still need to use mmi controller.

The fact that this system is not designed for these inputs means its not perfect but I'm impressed with what they have managed to achieve.
Bare in mind that Android Auto is designed to work from your voice, so you can keep your eyes on the road, navigation or finding a song on Spotify is best done with your voice.

You can easily add a reverse camera and a front camera. Rear camera works with dynamic trajectory lines.

The unit itself is plug and play with no wire cutting and fits in neatly behind the aircon controls.

Uses original car microphone.

Its pretty wife friendly.

Brings an old system bag up to date.

Cons. Some only relevant to the 3G basic

On the low resolution screen of the 3G basic, the maps lack definition, best run the map in dark mode.
The system cuts a few lines off the top of the screen, you can see the time or signal icon (AA isn't designed to run this low res, so doesn't scale 100%) that being said, it's good enough.

Reverse camera has a bit of flicker, same problem as above, worked fine with high res screen, I can live with it and so can the wife, so it can't be that bad.

The graphic for front and rear parking sensors doesn't seem to work with 3G basic/low or 3G high but I'm pretty sure it does with 3G+.

Wireless AA seems to be a bit hit or miss.

Cost of the system and its many copies can vary from vendor to vendor and so can their support.

On balance I think it's a worth while upgrade for an aging system but don't expect it to be as good as a manufacturers intergrated system that they would of spent alot of time and money on R&D to get it working just right. Same goes for the very similar systems offered by some UK sellers, as I'm sure they worked hard with the Chinese vendors to build a custom firmware that works a bit better and being UK based would be able to offer better support for their buyers but ultimately that costs money so you end up paying more, it really comes down to cost vs convenience
Excellent summary, @Boundy :)

I went for the low risk high cost option of a UK-sourced unit with customer support. Still happy I did that but plenty of people have taken the gamble on AliExpress with good results. And yes, the reversing graphics work fully on MMI 3 G+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boundy
Hi, thanks for your info, I too am interested in adding Carplay to a MMI 3G basic system with a minimum of fuss, despite the lower res of the screen.
@Boundy , what year is your Audi? I have a 2010 mmi 3g basic with 10 speaker system. The website states a4 2012 model year and higher.

My MMI unit is located in the boot. Is it needed to do any connections there, or are all cables plugged in the dashboard part (DVD drive / SD card unit)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mines a 2011, are you sure your mmi is in the boot, should just be radio and amp in the boot, mmi up front with Dvd nav and 2 sd card slots

Hello Boundy,

im new here and im interested in this Carplay Box.

Its very hard to find the right one for the MMI 3G Basic.

Do you have a newer Link for the right Box?

Im only find boxes which supports 3G+ oder High.. not the Basic.

Thank you allot with greetings from Germany!

Hello Boundy,

im new here and im interested in this Carplay Box.

Its very hard to find the right one for the MMI 3G Basic.

Do you have a newer Link for the right Box?

Im only find boxes which supports 3G+ oder High.. not the Basic.

Thank you allot with greetings from Germany!

Hi, Box I linked in the first page will work with the MMI 3G basic/low but will not be be perfect due to low resolution screen, so please read all of the thread for some of the issues I have come across. If you are happy to accept these slight issues, the system will work, I have it working.

In our German forum i cant find anything about the 3G Basic support ^^

I order a carplaybox on the website andream (Eu) they refused the order because i have the Basic MMi.

So for me its importent that the Box is not laggy oder have any connection issues

I will make you a short video with an iPhone connected tonight

Reactions: AudiA5_SB
In our German forum i cant find anything about the 3G Basic support ^^

I order a carplaybox on the website andream (Eu) they refused the order because i have the Basic MMi.

So for me its importent that the Box is not laggy oder have any connection issues

He's probably refused support because of the issues I have had, I have been messaging the supplier alot to try and get it working, so he knows that it doesn't work perfect with the 3g basic and will be worried about complaints and will have to give refunds

Reactions: AudiA5_SB
Excellent summary, @Boundy :)

I went for the low risk high cost option of a UK-sourced unit with customer support. Still happy I did that but plenty of people have taken the gamble on AliExpress with good results. And yes, the reversing graphics work fully on MMI 3 G+.
Is 3g+ only available in the facelift a4?

2012 - A4 here, 3G basic.
Wondering if this would work with the smaller 6.5” screen.
Already bought a different one, but got a refund before postage since the seller said it would’t work if I don’t have a 7” screen.

if this wouldn’t work on the 6.5, is a retrofit of the 7” display easily possible?

2012 - A4 here, 3G basic.
Wondering if this would work with the smaller 6.5” screen.
Already bought a different one, but got a refund before postage since the seller said it would’t work if I don’t have a 7” screen.

if this wouldn’t work on the 6.5, is a retrofit of the 7” display easily possible?

Short answer is yes-ish, read the whole thread and post a picture of your unit

He's probably refused support because of the issues I have had, I have been messaging the supplier alot to try and get it working, so he knows that it doesn't work perfect with the 3g basic and will be worried about complaints and will have to give refunds
I will make you a short video with an iPhone connected tonight

I looking forward for the video.

You are a great help for me.

Should the fan speed and other climate controls show up on screen when the car play unit is running?
Thought mind did but not showing up now?

Excuse the weird heavy breathing, I think the phone was a bit close to my face and the microphone seemed to pick it up.

Wired Android Auto

Wireless Android Auto

Wired Apple Carplay

Wireless Apple Carplay

Reactions: MCM_77 and AudiA5_SB
Big LIKE Boundy !!!

I orderd this Box now and i hope it will work like yours.

I didn't go into either, the unit just popped up in the main screen with a box you could click and then it connected. It might be because your phone is not officially supported yet, its only Nexus, Pixel and Galaxy S10 series that are officially supported
This pops up when I go into it but unlike your video it just stays on the main menu. Guess my phone won't work even tho it's picking up the unit and the unit picks up the phone!

Attachments

• DSC_0525_compress88.jpg
    DSC_0525_compress88.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 334
I deleted the android auto app and reinstalled it. Wireless car play is now working on my Sony Xperia!

Reactions: jdp1962 and Boundy
Ya quiet possibly. Especially when it's on a phone that's not meant to have it

I think it's Android Auto that's the issue, wireless Carplay is faultless
Noticed I have to hook up the phone with the cable then the wireless connection becomes available! Click on it and then plug out and it works wireless!!

Noticed I have to hook up the phone with the cable then the wireless connection becomes available! Click on it and then plug out and it works wireless!!

I think you can enter the settings on the phone and tell it to automatically launch AA when a certain Bluetooth devices connects, it might then start searching for the WiFi to connect

It's in the AA app settings on the phone

I no longer have the low screen resolution issues or flickering camera, I'm now running a high unit

I'll get a look thanks!
Ah that's perfect. Issue is with the lower units and that's why I never had it.

If I could only get the reverse radar graphics to work, I'll be well happy but I don't think it's gonna work and seller has given up responding to my relentless questions. Front camera should be here next week

Hi guys, looking at installing the same thing but the A3 version. What is the audio quality like through this thing? Is it comparable to plugging your phone into the Aux and playing music or is it noticeably worse?

Hi guys, looking at installing the same thing but the A3 version. What is the audio quality like through this thing? Is it comparable to plugging your phone into the Aux and playing music or is it noticeably worse?

I don't think it's too bad, perfectly acceptable for every day listening but if you like to crank it up, I would stick the tunes you want on an SD card

I still haven't solved my wireless connection issue.
I have to connect my phone via the cable then once connected I can hit the return button twice really quickly which brings me back to the car play menu. Then I can click the red button (which looks like a hazard light switch) it will then connect again and I can plug out my phone and it works perfectly wireless.