Chinese carplay unit success in B8 with MMI 3G basic

I ordered one but it never came. They are sending a replacement but won't have it for 2 months. Got sick of waiting and just splashed out!

By the sound of it, you'll need to run another bit of cable from the yellow wire in the carplay box to the back of the car, this will then wire to the live and the reverse trigger wire on the camera loom, like Y, wire earth to body and you should be good, try it with the trigger wire on the camera loom isolated first but suspect it will expect a 12v feed

Ya I'll have to get a better look tomorrow. What are the other 3 wire on the box for then? Red black and purple??

DSC 0506 compress21

Fecking camera plug got pulled out a small bit. I ran the wire down with the rest of the loom along the boot hinge but I must have left it a bit skimpy and when I closed the boot it pulled it out.

Ah ya. Just hit the park sensor button and it went off. Forgot they stay on until you move

Reactions: jdp1962
All back together now. Works ok. Just got to get use to it.

Attachments

• DSC_0508_compress93.jpg
    DSC_0508_compress93.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 441
Thanks for all the help guys.
For anyone thinking of doing it the unit itself is dead easy to fit.
I made it more difficult buy putting in front and rear cameras at the same time.

Nice bit of work; I just don't have the know-how or aptitude to work all that out myself. Also, my physical skills aren't up to self-installation without breaking things or putting them in the wrong place. Tha'ts why I have to take the expensive route. Huge respect to those who can do it themselves.

So my 10 quid boot camera landed today from Ali express after giving up on it and buying one from Halfords.
Have to pay the one fitted has a great picture so don't think I'll change it.

So my 10 quid boot camera landed today from Ali express after giving up on it and buying one from Halfords.
Have to pay the one fitted has a great picture so don't think I'll change it.

I've been in contact with the seller again about the picture jumping on mine, he sent me the latest firmware but it hasn't helped but I do now have wireless android auto working on my S10. After doing some more testing, I think I've worked out what the problem is. The unit is set up for a 800x480 screen resolution but as I'm running a 3G basic/low mine screen can only put out 480x240, I think the jumping is a mismatch in the input / output resolution.

Just need to figure out away of sorting it out. I might buy a 7in 800x400 screen and see if I can do a bit of hacking to get it to run on my system

Ah nice. Would love wireless on mine.
May need a new phone for it to work?

Found this online

A compatible phone — Your Android phone needs to be running Android 8.0 Oreo or newer if it's a Pixel phone or the Nexus 5X or 6P. The Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+, S9/S9+, S10/S10+, and the Note 8/9/10 phones all support Android Audio Wireless if they're running Android 9.0 Pie or higher.

I can send the firmware to you if you want it, only took 5 minutes to update

Mine is a Sony Xperia. Running Android 9.0.
Yes if you don't mind please.
How do you put it on? USB stick Im guessing?

audi carplay Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!zwN2yKQC!CB7T60L-x5O1bAeySB4_QBGBrqCpfUrDG7QWGA4eGxY

Operation steps:
1. Unzip 'gpe客户版v2.0.2.7.gpe.a.rar', then copy the upgrade file "ISPBOOOT.BIN" into the root directory of the USB flash drive
2. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port
3. Power on the CarPlay system to enter the main menu,
click 'Setting'-- 'User Upgrade' -- 'System update'
4. The following menu appears and click “√”, the system will be upgraded

Reactions: Seantdi
Pull the climate controls and check you haven't got a nasty bend on the wires, I had this when I first installed mine, went over a big bump and everything went dead

Got a 7 in screen to try, works perfect with the android auto interface and reverse camera but won't work with the standard mmi menus. Image only fills a quarter of the display. I thought that might of been the case before I bought it but didn't know whether the carplay box somehow processes the original video signal or just passes it through. Not sure what to do now? Might keep my eyes open for a cheap HNav radio, seem to go for a bit £150

Ah nuts! Things are never that simple!
I must try that update on mine today for wireless.
Is it possible to backup what's there already in case something goes wrong or?

Guess I have the file in the wrong place?

Attachments

• DSC_0521_compress52.jpg
    DSC_0521_compress52.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 452
Yup my drive decided to put it into a folder by its self!
Have it updated now and can't for the life of me get it to work

When the unit boots up and your phone auto connects to the Bluetooth, you'll get a message on the phone telling you its found your cars WiFi, then a pop up on the screen of the car asks if you want to connect. This is obviously relying on your phone support wireless android auto

Didn't see anything like that although my phone has connected with Bluetoot and WiFi

Steps:

Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” 10 times.
Enter Development Settings.
Select “show wireless projection option.”
Reboot your phone.
Follow your head unit’s instructions on connecting to it wirelessly.

Reactions: Seantdi
Can't get it to work.
Should I be going into air play or auto link??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200218-133843_compress65.jpg
    Screenshot_20200218-133843_compress65.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0522_compress74.jpg
    DSC_0522_compress74.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Screenshot_20200218-133854.png
    Screenshot_20200218-133854.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 364